Baltimore Blast owner Ed Hale pushing for merger of indoor soccer leagues

The Major Indoor Soccer League (MISL) Forum.
Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:53 pm

Here you have... um, it?

http://misl.uslsoccer.com/common/mobile ... ml#a794876

Open ended "reorganization" letter, check.

Subtle dig at departing teams, check.

USL has their good points, and really don't change their stripes much, eh?
Mean Spirited Blogger #107

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:04 pm

Looks like names ARE named... via Syracuse.

http://www.syracuse.com/silver-knights/ ... rom_t.html

Baltimore, Missouri, Rochester, and Syracuse exploring leaving.

suge night
Site Admin

Post by suge night » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:43 pm

Interesting the league [MISL] will have no options but to shut it down for a season one question that will come up over and over will be can the MISL comeback if it does take a season off. Both sides have valid points but from the owners perspective growth is needed to cut cost and they see it as a leadership problem if the league can't grow itself, now sense the named teams will be joining another league lower cost but that new league will have to make some adjustments itself as well too complete this deal by cutting weaker organizations or maybe re-classify them into a lower division which wouldn't be such a bad move either but getting the ego's in check for such a move isn't going to be easy sometimes the industry of minor league sports can get a little messy but the real question here is what is any of the franchises worth on the open market by sports business standards :confused: because without that number adding up anything else is moot......

dmbishop
Site Admin

Post by dmbishop » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:45 pm

From the MISL statement:
If that means it becomes necessary for us to not have a 2014-15 season..., then that is a route we are prepared to pursue.
From Syracuse:
whether the Silver Knights stay in the MISL or join a revamped PASL, indoor pro soccer will definitely return to Syracuse in 2014-15.
Milwaukee had better make a decision soon or they will end up as a team without anyone to play against.

Dave

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:58 pm

My understanding is that teams originally had to sign a three-year deal with USL when the latter took over league operations. I've been told that when Milwaukee was sold, its new owner had to sign a new deal, so the Wave may still be under contract with USL, while Baltimore, for instance, is not (or soon won't be). The contract with USL, I've further been told, requires a minimum number of teams in the league, and I almost have to read the USL's statement to mean they doubt they'll reach that number in time for next season, meaning the Wave may be free to leave before next season but can't necessarily do so right now.
Last edited by preeths on Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:12 am

Again, it might just be time to pull the plug entirely on indoor soccer. We're right back where we started in 1992, when the original MISL was too weak to continue and most of what was left joined the NPSL, which died in 2001, which led to the second MISL, which died in 2008, which led to the PASL Pro and NISL (MISL III), which is in its final days.

And unlike Hinduism or Buddhism, each rebirth is weaker than the last. Indoor soccer is heading for anti-Nirvāṇa.

The outdoor game is the future. We need to start building up the second, third and fourth levels of the pyramid. The MLS is the Premier League of the US and Canada, but the NASL and USL Pro aren't quite the Champions League and League One we need and there isn't a League Two yet (the PDL is closer to what summer college baseball leagues are to NCAA baseball than a level on the pyramid).

Most of the more stable MISL and PASL-Pro Teams could be converted to second-, third- and fourth-tier outdoor pro teams. I don't know how much the Baltimore Blast owner is worth, but I'd think the Blast would have the potential of being a good NASL-type candidate with the name recognition. The same would go for Milwaukee and some other teams.

Out here in doo-dah, the B-52s (or a reborn Wings) could make a go as an outdoor third- or fourth-tier team. Put them together with five to seven other teams in the South-Central and Great Plains states (Maybe put Wichita, Tulsa and Dallas Sidekicks with Topeka, Omaha, Lincoln, Colorado Springs, Springfield or Joplin, Mo.) and you've got a league (I see the fourth tier in the US being more regional than say League Two in Britain, then put the division winners in some sort of cup competition). The fourth tier would be for metro areas of 100,000 to 500,000, as well as suburban teams from larger metro areas. Most of the towns and cities in this area have pretty good facilities at their disposal for not a high price. You're talking about looking for stadiums in the 3,500 to 5,000 range.

robster2001
Site Admin

Post by robster2001 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:09 am

You could never make it in North American soccer.

You are far too logical. :)

dmbishop
Site Admin

Post by dmbishop » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:59 am

I agree with your points about the Outdoor Pyramid, although I do think the the NASL might be only a year or two from becoming that second division league and USL Pro could end up as the div III. That fight for 2nd Tier is interesting...

But, why eliminate Indoor Soccer? It's a nice niche sport like Indoor Lacrosse (which is ahead of them) and Indoor Football. It can be a place where players with certain skill sets can hone their skills, get invited to the outdoor levels, and maybe make a name for themselves. Let Indoor Soccer be the weekend diversion for a couple thousand people a game in small markets. You can even make money with that model if you are careful.

The problem is that too many Indoor Soccer fans and owners think that the league deserves and will attain Major League status. Unfortunately, that chance passed in the early to mid-80s.

Dave

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:01 am

[quote=""dmbishop""]I agree with your points about the Outdoor Pyramid, although I do think the the NASL might be only a year or two from becoming that second division league and USL Pro could end up as the div III. That fight for 2nd Tier is interesting...

But, why eliminate Indoor Soccer? It's a nice niche sport like Indoor Lacrosse (which is ahead of them) and Indoor Football. It can be a place where players with certain skill sets can hone their skills, get invited to the outdoor levels, and maybe make a name for themselves. Let Indoor Soccer be the weekend diversion for a couple thousand people a game in small markets. You can even make money with that model if you are careful.

The problem is that too many Indoor Soccer fans and owners think that the league deserves and will attain Major League status. Unfortunately, that chance passed in the early to mid-80s.

Dave[/quote]

That fight is over. USL PRO pretty much traded away the notion of second division status for the relative stability of taking on the oncoming rush of development agreements and full MLS reserve teams. That's one reason why MISL teams are getting out of the USL, BTW.

BTW, on the "full reserve teams in the league" front... LA is already starting Galaxy II this year. Red Bulls have announced for next year, and Seattle is said to be finishing up their plans to start a team in 2015. There will probably be a few more down the line. I don't think all MLS teams will go that route. Really, everyone should for now.

Indoor soccer won't be eliminated, but the days of playing in even semi-large newer arenas has pretty much passed. I don't think the PASL can cordon off the arena teams from the "soccerplex" teams that currently make up a lot of numbers in their top league. With two exceptions, the fans aren't there to justify the arenas.

Trish_lvs_Baltimore
Site Admin

Post by Trish_lvs_Baltimore » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:44 pm

Between now and the start of next season, this "mess" will be interesting! I'm really excited about the idea of the Blast possibly joining the PASL.
Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated. Founded 1908.
The First and Always The Finest

Return to “MISL”