MISL Season?

The Major Indoor Soccer League (MISL) Forum.
tops804
Site Admin

MISL Season?

Post by tops804 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:54 am

I'm just noticing that the season is well along, yet very few posts since summer.

A few things this season is telling me:
1 - Baltimore and Milwaukee are in a two horse race with every other team well behind. (Of the other 5 teams, Missouri is the only other team at .500 winning percentage or above)

2 - Baltimore at just over 5,200, leads the league in average attendance. Indoor soccer's umpteenth attempt to place a team in Chicago, gives us a lowest average attendance, at just of 1,900 per game (Including the always infamous "inaugural" home game for the franchise).

3 - As usual, little to no coverage of a so-called "major" league anywhere but this website, and very little local except in some of the markets.

4 - Rochester. Minus winter basketball, seems to be a good draw for a sophomore franchise. It looks like the Northeast isn't a good fit for indoor soccer in general though.

5 - "Blast-Fan" and "Soccer-Man" must be in detention or after school activities as they've gone away this season. (With their team in first in both the standings and attendance).

6 - I've given up on my wish for indoor soccer to succeed and return to Cleveland. It looks like it's had too many chances, and that the league isn't serious about attention or growth.

7 - Maybe PASL-Pro needs a better look as the "top" indoor league.
Last edited by tops804 on Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adios, OSC message boards. (2007-2017)

panchess
Site Admin

Post by panchess » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:23 am

You say Rochester is doing well, but the Northeast is a bad fit? Doesn't make sense.

I get the impression that Syracuse is doing OK as well, despite a lot of winter sports competition.

tops804
Site Admin

Post by tops804 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:53 am

In general, I had always envisioned the New England region as a potential fit for the MISL. After the days when it was obvious that it wouldn't stretch from coast to coast.

I know they once tried "test" games in a few of those cities, but the interest just isn't there. More like wishful thinking on my part, than an actual plan. Places like Hartford, Providence, Albany, and maybe Erie or Scranton, would have made better venues then the major cities MISL once tried. Although Hartford and Albany did field teams for a short time in the past.

What I wish the MISL would come to more grips with, is what cities and regions it should target for future franchises. I first liked the idea of Rochester and Syracuse (not to mention the now defunct, Norfolk), but these teams are going to need closer competition or else the travel issues get into play in the long run.

Round Lake Illini
Site Admin

Post by Round Lake Illini » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:42 pm

As bad as the Chicago attendance average figure of 1900 sounds, I think it has to be inflated. I have been to 2 games and there is no way either game drew more than 1000. If you notice the boxscores on the MISL website they do not include attendance numbers for the Chicago home games. With numbers like this they would appear to be 1-and-done unless they move from the Sears Centre to a smaller and cheaper home (which would stink because the Sears Centre is a nice arena).

tops804
Site Admin

Post by tops804 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:43 am

[quote=""Round Lake Illini""]As bad as the Chicago attendance average figure of 1900 sounds, I think it has to be inflated. I have been to 2 games and there is no way either game drew more than 1000. If you notice the boxscores on the MISL website they do not include attendance numbers for the Chicago home games. With numbers like this they would appear to be 1-and-done unless they move from the Sears Centre to a smaller and cheaper home (which would stink because the Sears Centre is a nice arena).[/quote]

Part of my point. As I really wish the MISL would stop trying to open doors, when they know another brick wall is behind them. If they want to move into the region (which would be nice with Milwaukee in the fold), I wish they'd push for a franchise in a smaller market (Illinois, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio???).

Obviously, hard to do as there may not be any takers in those cities with the pockets to float a team and see how it does; and if other investors or sponsors are willing to hop on board.

Soccer-Man
Site Admin

Post by Soccer-Man » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:11 am

[quote=""tops804""]
6 - I've given up on my wish for indoor soccer to succeed and return to Cleveland. It looks like it's had too many chances, and that the league isn't serious about attention or growth.
[/quote]

If the City of Chicago can constantly embarrass itself with so many teams through the years, than why not Cleveland. I mean most people realize that Cleveland is not title town USA but indoor had two great runs there. With the right ownership in the right league (MISL) it can work.

The USL need to step up and do a better job of bringing in teams. Great markets like Dallas, San Diego, Harrisburg and Detroit will in time, fail in the PASL-Pro. It's time that the USL acquire the stronger teams and merge them with the MISL and re-organize the weaker teams into a minor league feeder system.

tops804
Site Admin

Post by tops804 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:36 am

[quote=""Soccer-Man""]If the City of Chicago can constantly embarrass itself with so many teams through the years, than why not Cleveland. I mean most people realize that Cleveland is not title town USA but indoor had two great runs there. [/quote]

I can tell you first hand, that since the Force quietly closed shop following the 2004-05 season. There has been no mention of "the old days", or a new team, in Cleveland.

Quicken Loans Arena is too big and has enough tenants, and the Wolstein center doesn't seem to have any takers. The PASL's Ohio Vortex, plays in nearby Medina/Fairlawn but is probably only noticed by the players, high schools, and coaches involved with it.

Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:34 am

Oh, look, Idiot Boy is back.
Old enough to remember when bashing the ABA was fun.

Soccer-Man
Site Admin

Post by Soccer-Man » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:53 am

[quote=""tops804""]I can tell you first hand, that since the Force quietly closed shop following the 2004-05 season. There has been no mention of "the old days", or a new team, in Cleveland.

Quicken Loans Arena is too big and has enough tenants, and the Wolstein center doesn't seem to have any takers. The PASL's Ohio Vortex, plays in nearby Medina/Fairlawn but is probably only noticed by the players, high schools, and coaches involved with it.[/quote]

Again, this is the City of Cleveland, in the State of Ohio. Needless to say, the great Lebron James had to uproot his life just to realize his dream of winning an NBA Championship. Legendary NFL Owner, Mr Arthur B. Modell had to spear head the expansion of the Baltimore Ravens just to win the Super Bowl. I said that to say this, Cleveland is a black eye to most of its sports teams; and yes to win, you have to leave the state, but indoor is kinda different there.

Indoor can work in Cleveland under the right circumstances. I mean Cleveland isn't great by any stretch of the imagination, but it could be worse. It could be Chicago. And we all know how bad that city is.

Soccer-Man
Site Admin

Post by Soccer-Man » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:54 am

[quote=""Sam Hill""]Oh, look, Idiot Boy is back.[/quote]

Sticks and stones...............

Return to “MISL”