Why is the MISL on OurSportsCentral?

The Major Indoor Soccer League (MISL) Forum.
BlastFan
Site Admin

Why is the MISL on OurSportsCentral?

Post by BlastFan » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:10 am

I've never quite figured this one out. The Major Indoor Soccer League is a major league. It does not really fit in with minor sports leagues or independent (minor) leagues. It's nice to have a place to talk about the league (because there aren't many other places to) BUT the obvious reason this forum is always "dead" and no activity goes on is that this is the last place one would think of coming to talk about the MISL as it is a major league.

tops804
Site Admin

Post by tops804 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:08 am

[quote=""BlastFan""]I've never quite figured this one out. The Major Indoor Soccer League is a major league. It does not really fit in with minor sports leagues or independent (minor) leagues. It's nice to have a place to talk about the league (because there aren't many other places to) BUT the obvious reason this forum is always "dead" and no activity goes on is that this is the last place one would think of coming to talk about the MISL as it is a major league.[/quote]

..and I've never figured out why I bother to read your posts. When in two years, you've only shown up long enough to show how clueless you are.

//www.oursportscentral.com/about/
About OurSports Central
OurSports Central is the web's leading source of independent and minor league sports information. The ticket prices, labor strife and player troubles of big league sports have alienated many fans, while other fans are unable to attend events because of their distance from major league cities or because they simply are uninterested in the larger leagues. Our goal is to provide major league coverage for the teams and leagues that other sports sites do not cover or do not cover well, basically everyone but the NFL, NBA, NHL and MLB
Next, maybe you can go over to foodnetwork.com and ask why they call it chicken fried steak, when it really contains beef.
Adios, OSC message boards. (2007-2017)

Paul S
Site Admin

Post by Paul S » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:39 am

Blast fan. You and I both know MISL is definitely "Minor" league. The only thing "Major" about the MISL are the year over year loses sustained by the team owners.

Paul S. (aka- The Shelts)
Mean Spirited Blogger Number 14

"If games are missed, it hurts no one" ...... ABA CEO Joe Newman 2/9/09

Due to numerous threats of legal action from certain people.......all of the above is my opinion only and it should be noted that I have never invested in the ABA. It is simply one mans opinion.

robster2001
Site Admin

Post by robster2001 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:48 pm

[quote=""BlastFan""]...the obvious reason this forum is always "dead" and no activity goes on is that this is the last place one would think of coming to talk about the MISL as it is a major league.[/quote]

The obvious reason that this forum is always dead is that, frankly, nobody cares enough about the USL's MISL to bother posting about it.

Indoor soccer fills the same niche as indoor football -- the one where you ask "has anyone ever demonstrated a viable business plan"?

In a country where MLS is a niche sport, the current MISL is a niche within a niche. It's simply not a viable sport anymore. It was when the NASL had torched outdoor soccer to the point that the only place for US soccer fans was the old MISL... but the current MISL has no such opening. Soccer fans are watching MLS (or European and South American soccer on TV). They're not watching the current MISL. And they're certainly not posting about it.
Last edited by robster2001 on Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: caught a bad, bad typo :)

BlastFan
Site Admin

Post by BlastFan » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:34 pm

I have never considered the MISL to be a minor league team. There may not be that many teams, but the league is still top of its class.

Indoor football is different - aren't many of the teams affiliated to NFL teams?

"Independent" isn't a characteristic of the MISL. To be independent, you must be a "minor league" in relation to a "major league." There is no indoor league above the MISL. And you can't even compare the MISL to outdoor soccer... they are two different sports looking for different skillsets on the field. I bet if you told veteran players like Sagu, Dusosky, or Cabral they had spent all their years playing in a minor league, they would laugh at you.

I get the idea that any coverage is good for a league so being on OurSports Central is promoting the MISL, but it's not accurate calling them either "minor league" or "independent."

One thing "minor leagues" don't ever get is T.V. coverage and the MISL has had national T.V. coverage (and will soon again).

BlastFan
Site Admin

Post by BlastFan » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:41 pm

[quote=""tops804""]..and I've never figured out why I bother to read your posts. When in two years, you've only shown up long enough to show how clueless you are.
//www.oursportscentral.com/about/
[/quote]

Speaking of clueless... they even call themselves the Major Indoor Soccer League.

Anyhow, that description is a better portrayal of what they represent (OSC represents everything but the big 4 major leagues.) I don't know why you highlighted independent... but that does not stop the fact that there are a few major leagues here (MLL, MISL, etc.) I just think the slogan should be changed to something like "Covering underappreciated sports."

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:46 pm

[quote=""BlastFan""]Indoor football is different - aren't many of the teams affiliated to NFL teams?[/quote]
No, they're not. None of them are. Out of kindness, I'll stop there.

Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:16 pm

I like starting the week with a laugh. Thanks.

So why is Major League Lacrosse on here? That's a major league. It's "top of its class."

Only Soccer-Man keeps you from being the densest person here. Unless you're the same person, which wouldn't surprise me.
Old enough to remember when bashing the ABA was fun.

wasteland
Site Admin

Post by wasteland » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:19 pm

[quote=""BlastFan""]I've never quite figured this one out. The Major Indoor Soccer League is a major league. It does not really fit in with minor sports leagues or independent (minor) leagues.[/quote]

HA, too funny! it has the same poor attendance and obscure presance most minor leagues have.

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:59 am

I will grant you one thing. From about 1983 to 1992, the original MISL was the top of the pyramid in U.S. soccer. The AISA/NPSL arguably held that distinction until the MLS was founded. Today, the level of play in the indoor league is, at best, mid second division to upper third division. When the MLS started, there were a handful of indoor players who made MLS teams, and a few guys who were impact players. Today, most MISL players couldn't make the reserve squads of MLS teams. There is some movement between the new MISL and the new NASL and the USL Pro, but that's about as far as most of these guys can go.

Return to “MISL”