Why is the MISL on OurSportsCentral?

The Major Indoor Soccer League (MISL) Forum.
Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:12 pm

[quote=""BlastFan""]Whole vs. hole is an elementary level mistake.
Dilemma vs. dilemna is a high school or college level mistake.
(not that it matters)[/quote]

Oh. So you win.
And remember judgement can be spelled judgment too.
In fact, it's supposed to be spelled "judgment," at least in this country. "Judgement" is usually the British English spelling. They also put their punctuation outside the quotation marks.
Old enough to remember when bashing the ABA was fun.

BlastFan
Site Admin

Post by BlastFan » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:22 pm

[quote=""tops804""]
...and the Wave are still the longest running indoor soccer franchise in the league!!! :p :p [/quote]

Hopefully they can get a big sponsor or another part owner next year... Lindenburg has had about enough with the team according to his last interview...
Last edited by BlastFan on Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlastFan
Site Admin

Post by BlastFan » Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:01 pm

[quote=""tops804""]
...and the Wave are still the longest running indoor soccer franchise in the league!!! :p :p [/quote]

You are so wrong, it's not even funny... :p :p

Your statement turned false as soon as you added the qualifier (since we have been quarreling about English) in the league.

The longest running franchise in the league is the Baltimore Blast who have been there since the league's founding as the NISL in the 2008 ignaugural season. May I remind you, the Wave were playing in the XSL that year. They were not in the league at that time. In fact, technically, they became a new expansion franchise the year after that in the (now) MISL (meaning they are one year behind the Blast as a franchise in the league.)

The best statement you could make that would be true, according to subjective viewpoints, would be as follows: The Wave are the longest continuously running active indoor soccer club in the country.
Last edited by BlastFan on Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:43 pm

What if you parse it differently?

"...and the Wave are still the longest running indoor soccer franchise (that is currently) in the league!!!"

(parenthetical implied)

Of all the teams in the league, the Wave have been around the longest. Not in the league the longest, which you hang your hat on because you look for little semantic victories like that (like "elementary level mistake" versus "high school or college level mistake").

Is that better?

He's not wrong, much less "so wrong it isn't even funny." You're interpreting it the way that suits you best. Like you and your doppelganger often do.
Old enough to remember when bashing the ABA was fun.

tops804
Site Admin

Post by tops804 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:06 pm

[quote=""BlastFan""]You are so wrong, it's not even funny... :p :[/quote]
...and the Wave are still the longest running indoor soccer franchise in the league!!!
I did not use a direct subject in place of "league".

Had is stated
...and the Wave are still the longest running indoor soccer franchise in the MISL!!!
I may of been partially incorrect.
...and the Wave are still the longest running MISL franchise in the MISL!!!
I would have been completely incorrect.

COMPARE

"The Milwaukee Brewers franchise has been in the league since 1969."

Only "league" has been implied. Therefore, common knowledge dictates that the writer assumes the average reader (which you probably aren't) knows the difference between Major League Baseball, and the National League.

Probably more acceptable than: "The Milwaukee Brewers franchise has been in the league since 1998". Which would most likely have people asking if the writer meant, just the National League....Unless, it was a specific writing indicating teams activities in the National League only, to begin with.
"The Milwaukee Brewers franchise has been in the National League since 1969."
Would be totally incorrect.

Though, I'm sure you'll come up with an angle to continue your 7th grade english fight.

Based on your own criteria.

As "BlastFan" were you also a fan of the IBL's "Holland Blast" and ABA's "Milwaukee Blast"? By your own implication, of course you were...Otherwise you'd have chosen "MISLBlastFan" or had Paul change it when the new franchises arrived.
Last edited by tops804 on Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adios, OSC message boards. (2007-2017)

BlastFan
Site Admin

Post by BlastFan » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:09 pm

Here is the problem I have with Milwaukee's claim: that they are the longest continually operating soccer franchise.

After the XSL folded, they were without a league. The previous owner in fact, according to a lot of online articles, had laid off his front office staff in the summer.. And we all know you cannot run a team without a front office staff. People actually had to "pledge" that they would buy season tickets -- they could not buy tickets in the offseason. I consider that being on hiatus, personally.

When Lindenburg bought the team, he of course re-hired them all, ending the hiatus but he also had to resign all his players with MISL contracts and abide buy league rules (salary cap, etc.) So basically, all these players were technically without a team during the offseason when the XSL folded. They weren't guaranteed a spot back on the Wave. But, of course, he signed mostly the same players. I'm only being fair with my objective viewpoint as people said the same thing with the creation of the Spirit...
Last edited by BlastFan on Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:56 pm

People default to arguing over the past when the future is bleak.
Mean Spirited Blogger #107

Soccer-Man
Site Admin

Post by Soccer-Man » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:58 pm

MISL Universal Champions, The Milwaukee Wave, must think that trying to sell a bogus line about being the longest running professional soccer team is good for business.

Point is, the American soccer community can see through it and no one is fooled. OK, maybe the good folks of Wisconsin, but that's about it.

SHAME

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:19 am

If you think the American soccer community (outside Baltimore) gives a rip about this debate, much less the Wave or Blast... let's just say we're having a laugh. It might even be part of the problem with the MISL.
Mean Spirited Blogger #107

BlastFan
Site Admin

Post by BlastFan » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:07 am

[quote=""Soccer-Man""]MISL Universal Champions, The Milwaukee Wave, must think that trying to sell a bogus line about being the longest running professional soccer team is good for business.

Point is, the American soccer community can see through it and no one is fooled. OK, maybe the good folks of Wisconsin, but that's about it.

SHAME[/quote]

They do have one thing going for their claim: that is they have been the Wave for 27 straight years unlike the Blast to Spirit to Blast again move. But I, like you, don't buy it.

The facts are as follows (anyone can feel free to add to the list):
* Baltimore has fielded a team for over 3 decades. May I add, in the same arena.
* Milwaukee has fielded a team for 28 years.
** The Blast has always been playing in the highest tier indoor soccer league.
** Not to demean the Wave, but they have not always played in the highest tier league (i.e. the AISA, the XSL, etc.) - other leagues (mainly the MISL) have noted semi-pro when they place astericks by players who have played in that/those leagues.
*** The "new" Blast have never fired their front office staff when moving between leagues. The last time that happened, as many people have pointed out, was when the Spirit came to town.
*** The last time the Wave fired their front office staff AND had no active team was a few years ago. To be fair, as people have called the Spirit a new lifespan since they fired/rehired all their staff/players, I'm only using the same reasoning for the Wave based on when the XSL folded. I mean, how possibly could you have a continuously running team, when you have no active players and you fire all the people who make the production possible behind scenes. All they had to them that summer was a name, a website, and a hope (which is the same as a new franchise set to join a league).
Last edited by BlastFan on Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “MISL”