Why is the MISL on OurSportsCentral?

The Major Indoor Soccer League (MISL) Forum.
Soccer-Man
Site Admin

Post by Soccer-Man » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:04 pm

[quote=""tops804""]---
Look everybody...Soccer-man's mom gave him his laptop back after a 3 month hiatus!!! The forth quarter report card must've been OK... :) [/quote]

No. None of the above. The USL and its protective umbrella has a whole in it. Something is wrong when I'm breaking all the news and their website is inactive.

SHAME

Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:28 am

[quote=""Soccer-Man""]What an absolute privilege it is to finally hear someone (other than myself) speak the truth. [/quote]

THAT'S funny.
However, Oursportscentral have at the very least made us feel welcome. Yes, we are their franchise player and I suppose every multi-sports site need one or two. Sadly fans of big league indoor soccer doesn't know we exist. I have broken major stories here and unfortuneatly no one got the news because they don't look here.
Two questions...

1 - What major stories have you broken here?
2 - If no one looks here, how are you the franchise player again?
Old enough to remember when bashing the ABA was fun.

BlastFan
Site Admin

Post by BlastFan » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:40 pm

[quote=""Soccer-Man""]No. None of the above. The USL and its protective umbrella has a whole in it. Something is wrong when I'm breaking all the news and their website is inactive.

SHAME[/quote]

I can understand your dilemna. I simply don't think minor league is accurate when describing the MISL. In context with the big 4 major leagues, major league isn't accurate either. But it is nice to have a place to talk about the MISL as it is an "underapreciated" major league sport in my honest opinion.

Um, I was thinking it would be neat if the MISL itself had a message board. (The Vipers, when they were around, did.) Maybe you and I should go on and make one...
Last edited by BlastFan on Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:00 pm

[quote=""BlastFan""]hole*, Soccer Man

I can understand your dilemna. [/quote]

dilemma*, BlastFan.

BlastFan
Site Admin

Post by BlastFan » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:14 pm

[quote=""Sam Hill""]dilemma*, BlastFan.[/quote]

That's weird. I had always been taught to spell it dillemna*. None of my English professors had ever corrected the spelling or had taken off points for my spelling it that way... nor has anyone corrected me, but thank you, I guess...

dmbishop
Site Admin

Post by dmbishop » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:12 pm

http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/is ... lemna.aspx
Last week, Heidi Stevens from the Chicago Tribune reminded me of a problem I encountered a while ago: many people were taught to spell "dilemma" incorrectly.

I was taught the wrong spelling in school, and when I got older and checked a dictionary, I was shocked to find that the word is spelled "dilemma." Further, the only correct spelling is "dilemma." It's not as if "dilemna" is a substandard variant or regional spelling. Dictionaries often note alternative spellings and sometimes even nonstandard spellings, but "dilemna" doesn't even show up that way.

"Dilemma" comes from Greek. "Di" means "two or twice," and "lemma" means "assumption or premise." A dilemma is a choice between two undesirable options.

A Google search shows that many people all over the world were taught the "dilemna" spelling, and as far as I can tell, nobody knows why. Michael Quinion goes through some interesting history on his World Wide Words website, but he can't explain the widespread error either.
Sorry, but this is such a childish fight that I just had to know the truth.

Dave

Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:05 pm

Neither a fight, nor childish.

Nor a dilemma, to be honest.

I just liked the irony of someone correcting someone's spelling and then misspelling something themselves in the next breath.

BlastFan
Site Admin

Post by BlastFan » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:09 pm

[quote=""Sam Hill""]Neither a fight, nor childish.

Nor a dilemma, to be honest.

I just liked the irony of someone correcting someone's spelling and then misspelling something themselves in the next breath.[/quote]

Whole vs. hole is an elementary level mistake.
Dilemma vs. dilemna is a high school or college level mistake.
(not that it matters)

And remember judgement can be spelled judgment too.

The English language has many flaws to it.
"I before e except after c." What about 'weird?'

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:57 pm

There is a form of indoor soccer that actually trains players for the outdoor game...

...but it's Futsal, not the rink. No walls, therefore more need for skill and quickness (especially mentally). Unfortunately, it's only very slowly getting any regard in America, and that's only because it's cheaper to build courts in certain places than fields.

MISL, major? Not even close. Certainly not now. Not worth the protestations from Baltimore to have meaning by insisting on it.

Don't ask me... too many MLS fans agree.

Piece of advice: Portland fans found a way to matter, which bought our way into MLS. The work that needs to be done elsewhere is internal, not external.
Mean Spirited Blogger #107

tops804
Site Admin

Post by tops804 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:03 am

[quote=""BlastFan""]Whole vs. hole is an elementary level mistake.
Dilemma vs. dilemna is a high school or college level mistake.
(not that it matters)

And remember judgement can be spelled judgment too.

The English language has many flaws to it.
"I before e except after c." What about 'weird?'[/quote]

Okay, I'll bite...

Paul...This thread is really getting wierd. Could you please close it and let the spellers duke it out on "elementary101.com" rather than an indoor soccer message board?

Lets face it. It went from "why is a non-major league on a minor league site", to two Baltimore fans wanting the Blast to be the next incarnation of the New York Yankees (again :rolleyes :) ; to Sesame Street...

...and the Wave are still the longest running indoor soccer franchise in the league!!! :p :p
Adios, OSC message boards. (2007-2017)

Return to “MISL”