Why is the MISL on OurSportsCentral?

The Major Indoor Soccer League (MISL) Forum.
Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:36 pm

I'll even go one further.

Folks in Baltimore will hold more relevance with the "American Soccer Community" by supporting the Bohemians instead of the Blast.

Besides, there's more than one instance of converting a PDL team to a higher level team, not to mention the higher level team to MLS. I think the only instances of successfully taking indoor teams outdoors was at the inception of the USL (as USISL), and I'm not sure any of those teams still exist.
Mean Spirited Blogger #107

BlastFan
Site Admin

Post by BlastFan » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:25 pm

[quote=""Pounder""]
Folks in Baltimore will hold more relevance with the "American Soccer Community" by supporting the Bohemians instead of the Blast.
[/quote]

Who the heck are they? I just looked them up and they play in a stadium with a capacity of 1,000 people so I hope you are kidding....

I live in a suburb of D.C. and know many people who support the Blast. The Bohemians are more a local thing to Baltimore, I guess, but the Blast's market reaches must past Baltimore. That's one of the things that sets it different from most indoor soccer teams.

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:01 am

[quote=""BlastFan""]I live in a suburb of D.C. and know many people who support the Blast. The Bohemians are more a local thing to Baltimore, I guess, but the Blast's market reaches must past Baltimore. That's one of the things that sets it different from most indoor soccer teams.[/quote]

In what's practically a two-team league, I suppose that's cool.

It's time to turn Earl Foreman on his head. Nobody gives two $#!%$ about indoor soccer.

tops804
Site Admin

Post by tops804 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:35 am

[quote=""Pounder""]In what's practically a two-team league, I suppose that's cool.[/quote]

...and two teams, for too long. Leading some to speculate that it isn't, and never could be taken seriously anymore.

Hence, one BIG reason that the MISL is on oursports central.com, and not espn.com or the front sports pages of USA Today*.
It's time to turn Earl Foreman on his head. Nobody gives two $#!%$ about indoor soccer.
Ya think? These boards are only dominated by soccer-man, blastfan, and those of us who try to remind them that, we were there...and the "Good Old Days" of MISL are simply over, over, over....

Sorry I brought the Milwaukee, Baltimore age thing back up....

Maybe next, we can rile them by reminding them that the referees didn't cheat in the 2011 finals and Milwaukee won the championship fair and square!!!! :p :p :p :p
Last edited by tops804 on Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: *USA Today is still in print, isn't it?
Adios, OSC message boards. (2007-2017)

BlastFan
Site Admin

Post by BlastFan » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:45 am

[quote=""Pounder""]In what's practically a two-team league, I suppose that's cool.

It's time to turn Earl Foreman on his head. Nobody gives two $#!%$ about indoor soccer.[/quote]

I'll tell you something: the MISL has a bigger following than all the national minor soccer leagues. It does not have a major league following like the "big 4," but the league is nothing to poke fun about (especially when all sports teams big and small are losing money today). It reached it's "lowpoint" a few years ago, but it has no other option than growing or staying at 7 teams a year.

[quote=""tops804""]
Maybe next, we can rile them by reminding them that the referees didn't cheat in the 2011 finals and Milwaukee won the championship fair and square!!!! :p :p :p :p [/quote]

If you're including "me" in "them,"
I don't remember saying they cheated... Milwaukee simply outplayed them that year (and, yes, I admit that).

BTW I'm not disputing Milwaukee's claim out of hating the team like Soccer Man does, but it's just that I have always been into history. No, I believe Milwaukee is a good team (sad they don't draw as well as they could) but I just think their well-used claim is ahistorical just like the book "When China Discovered the New World 1421". Their continuous operation, in my opinion, ended and then consequently restarted after they fired all their employees (and their players contracts were also meaningless) at the demise of the XSL.
In what's practically a two-team league, I suppose that's cool.
I'd consider it at least a three-team league. I'd throw in Milwaukee with Baltimore and Missouri. :P
It's too bad that Milwaukee doesn't draw as many people as they used to. It seems as if, ironically, that the better they do, the worse they draw. I just don't get it...
Last edited by BlastFan on Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:14 am, edited 4 times in total.

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:39 pm

[quote=""BlastFan""]I'll tell you something: the MISL has a bigger following than all the national minor soccer leagues. It does not have a major league following like the "big 4," but the league is nothing to poke fun about (especially when all sports teams big and small are losing money today). It reached it's "lowpoint" a few years ago, but it has no other option than growing or staying at 7 teams a year.[/quote]

No.

I'd say that the way Orlando City and San Antonio have emerged tells me that NASL and USL PRO can find markets that are ready, while indoor leagues can't tap that. Outdoor has the momentum. MISL will continue to rotate to smaller buildings.

BlastFan
Site Admin

Post by BlastFan » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:22 pm

[quote=""Pounder""]No.

I'd say that the way Orlando City and San Antonio have emerged tells me that NASL and USL PRO can find markets that are ready, while indoor leagues can't tap that. Outdoor has the momentum. MISL will continue to rotate to smaller buildings.[/quote]

You're just kidding with me, right?

You cited one market from each league.

Most of the NASL teams draw in the 3Ks (with the exception of Norfolk, that's a weeknights drawing for most MISL teams). They have one more team than the MISL, big deal...

Wow, the USL Pro has 11 teams! Sadly though, more than half of them (6) are drawing in the 1K range or less. The MISL is the best thing the USL has going for them - their pro outdoor league comes nowhere close to the MISL in that way.

I usually don't compare indoor with outdoor but in the ranking of leagues in the U.S., I would have to go like this:
Major Leagues:
1. The MLS (of course)
2. The MISL
Minor Leagues:
3. NASL
4. USL-Pro
5. The rest (whoever they may be)
Last edited by BlastFan on Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:29 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:49 am

You're making the wrong comparison. You're trying to think in "recent past" and not the next step.

There's another Orlando City out there. There's another San Antonio out there. There are cities trying to be that.

There's not another Milwaukee Wave or Baltimore Blast out there. MISL has to go to either old MISL markets or old USL markets to keep a league intact, and not very well at that. The opportunities get smaller all the time. That's because the average fan is no longer enthralled with indoor in anything but offseason training.

I see NASL and USL nursing MLS talent, not MISL.

All this adds up.

BlastFan
Site Admin

Post by BlastFan » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:09 pm

I see where you are coming from now, Pounder.

The MISL probably will never be a coast to coast league with a Nat'l T.V. contract. Those days are gone with their affiliation with the USL.

But what about the "new" Rochester market? They averaged more than even Milwaukee averaged - and they were a first year team!

And how about Syracuse as a "new" market? They got off to a rough start, but are averaging the same, if not more, as most of the leagues teams you mentioned.

I realize Missouri/KC is a reincarnation, but they are doing quite well and will be on their third season next year!!!

SignGuyDino
Site Admin

Post by SignGuyDino » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:55 am

[quote=""BlastFan""]I've never quite figured this one out. The Major Indoor Soccer League is a major league. It does not really fit in with minor sports leagues or independent (minor) leagues. It's nice to have a place to talk about the league (because there aren't many other places to) BUT the obvious reason this forum is always "dead" and no activity goes on is that this is the last place one would think of coming to talk about the MISL as it is a major league.[/quote]

Major League Eating. I only mention it because I am a bastard.

Return to “MISL”