Instant Replay in the MISL: Special Commentary

The Major Indoor Soccer League (MISL) Forum.

Should the MISL employ the use of instant replay

Poll ended at Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:09 am

The MISL should use instant replay / coaches challenges
50%
The MISL should use a video judge; much like the NHL
No votes
The MISL should not use instant replay of any kind
50%

Total votes: 2

SignGuyDino
Site Admin

Post by SignGuyDino » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:03 am

Never make anyone a priority that makes you an option.

Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:29 pm

Just out of curiosity, big guy...what, exactly, would you propose be under the purview of MISL Instant Replay? Besides "Any Call That Goes Against The Baltimore Blast," that is?

You should (for once in your life) be honest and realistic: the MISL is a low-budget, low-rent, amateur-hour league, regardless of who's in charge of it. What you're proposing would not come as easily as you seem to think, and would not change the fact that Milwaukee beat Baltimore in the final this year.

What are you going to review? Fouls? Not happening. Penalties? Not happening. Whether a goal is a two or a three? Maybe. Given there were only 68 three-point goals in 50 games last season, I'm not sure this is an epidemic in need of a vaccine. Whether the ball crossed the goal line? How many times in a season do you think that's disputed, really? Get goal judges, it's easier.

Look, face it: your team outshot Milwaukee 31-12 and scored just three goals, the last a three-pointer with the extra attacker on. Your team had the only power play opportunity and didn't score on it. Given Milwaukee out-fouled Baltimore 16-6, that's a lot of extra free kicks the Blast got that the Wave didn't. How is that a problem for the Blast again?

Your team lost. It happens. You should grow up and get over it.
Old enough to remember when bashing the ABA was fun.

BlastFan
Site Admin

Post by BlastFan » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:00 pm

It's getting kind of old now Soc Man. I'll tell you I was a sore loser myself in awe of the fact they lost by so much (their seasonal records definitely did not portray the game IMO) and I deeply apologize to the users on this board for my sore loser-ness after the game. But its life, no one can win them all (or else it wouldn't be fun, would it?).

The Wave simply outplayed the Blast that game and they deserved the win. Besides Soc Man, they had been so many years without a championship it only seemed right they get revenge on the Blast one year. I mean do you honestly expect the Blast are going to go undefeated for the next few years? It never ever happens. And after the 1st place Wave lost to Monterrey the previous season in one lousy game, did you see Wave fans ranting on these boards that it shouldn't have been?

We're already approaching another season, and I tell you I can't wait. I'll finally get to make road trips again to Norfolk and Harisburg/Philly(?, if they come back.) I'm pumped up about it.

Soccer-Man
Site Admin

Post by Soccer-Man » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:37 am

[quote=""SignGuyDino""]Image[/quote]

C'mon, as bad as the officiating is in the MISL, not even I called it a conspiracy. Incompetence? Yes. Conspiracy? NO.

That being said, I'm sure that the other teams and even the USL were glad to see the BLAST have less points on the scoreboard that night.

Soccer-Man
Site Admin

Post by Soccer-Man » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:05 am

[quote=""Sam Hill""]Just out of curiosity, big guy...what, exactly, would you propose be under the purview of MISL Instant Replay? Besides "Any Call That Goes Against The Baltimore Blast," that is?

You should (for once in your life) be honest and realistic: the MISL is a low-budget, low-rent, amateur-hour league, regardless of who's in charge of it. What you're proposing would not come as easily as you seem to think, and would not change the fact that Milwaukee beat Baltimore in the final this year.

What are you going to review? Fouls? Not happening. Penalties? Not happening. Whether a goal is a two or a three? Maybe. Given there were only 68 three-point goals in 50 games last season, I'm not sure this is an epidemic in need of a vaccine. Whether the ball crossed the goal line? How many times in a season do you think that's disputed, really? Get goal judges, it's easier.

Look, face it: your team outshot Milwaukee 31-12 and scored just three goals, the last a three-pointer with the extra attacker on. Your team had the only power play opportunity and didn't score on it. Given Milwaukee out-fouled Baltimore 16-6, that's a lot of extra free kicks the Blast got that the Wave didn't. How is that a problem for the Blast again?

Your team lost. It happens. You should grow up and get over it.[/quote]

I am so over the 2010 -2011 MISL Championship Game. My efforts is simply to get the officiating to a better place for the growth of the league.

You keep referencing my not giving the team from Wisconsin credit for that game. I have time and again and yet you still take me to task. I will say it again; the MISL Championship resides in the State of Wisconsin at the OLD MECCA Arena. Trust me when I say that I have moved on. The State of Wisconsin has the trophy.

As for instant replay, as I said before, just use what you have. No one is advocating the creation of an overly sophisticated system with multiple camara angles and all the gadgets of the NFL and NHL. Just use what you have. Look at the replay from the game footage which is instantly available and make the best call based on that. That's it. Lets all stop trying to make this into something it's not. The NHL did the same thing in the early days of their instant replay system.

As for what the MISl should use instant replay for:

1) Goals in question
2) Last touch of the ball, within 2 minutes
3) Hand balls
4) 2 point or 3 point goals
5) Three/two line rule (with all the changes, it's primed for instant replay)

PS: Maybe it's time to start grading the officials as well.

It's time to step into the future.
Last edited by Soccer-Man on Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

tops804
Site Admin

Post by tops804 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:06 am

[quote=""Soccer-Man""]That being said, I'm sure that the other teams and even the USL were glad to see the BLAST have less points on the scoreboard that night.[/quote]

In itself, that quote just defined why no one, whatsoever, has taken any of your 64 posts seriously...
Adios, OSC message boards. (2007-2017)

Soccer-Man
Site Admin

Post by Soccer-Man » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:13 am

[quote=""BlastFan""]It's getting kind of old now Soc Man. I'll tell you I was a sore loser myself in awe of the fact they lost by so much (their seasonal records definitely did not portray the game IMO) and I deeply apologize to the users on this board for my sore loser-ness after the game. But its life, no one can win them all (or else it wouldn't be fun, would it?).

The Wave simply outplayed the Blast that game and they deserved the win. Besides Soc Man, they had been so many years without a championship it only seemed right they get revenge on the Blast one year. I mean do you honestly expect the Blast are going to go undefeated for the next few years? It never ever happens. And after the 1st place Wave lost to Monterrey the previous season in one lousy game, did you see Wave fans ranting on these boards that it shouldn't have been?

We're already approaching another season, and I tell you I can't wait. I'll finally get to make road trips again to Norfolk and Harisburg/Philly(?, if they come back.) I'm pumped up about it.[/quote]

You're right BlastFan and I have moved on. The team from Wisconsin has the trophy. I'm just trying to get the officiating to be better.

Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:05 pm

[quote=""Soccer-Man""]That being said, I'm sure that the other teams and even the USL were glad to see the BLAST have less points on the scoreboard that night.[/quote]

Other teams, I'm sure. Doubtful the USL cared. And it didn't send shockwaves through "the soccer world" despite what you seem to think about the global reach of the goings-on in the MISL.

But that's just a sentence you wrote there. It doesn't really mean anything. So what?

Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:09 pm

[quote=""Soccer-Man""]I am so over the 2010 -2011 MISL Championship Game.[/quote]

Then lose the asterisk. You're absolutely not over it until you do that.
My efforts is simply to get the officiating to a better place for the growth of the league.
And a poll on Oursportscentral.com is exactly the way to do that! BTW, two people have voted: you and wasteland. You're well on your way.
You keep referencing my not giving the team from Wisconsin credit for that game. I have time and again and yet you still take me to task. I will say it again; the MISL Championship resides in the State of Wisconsin at the OLD MECCA Arena. Trust me when I say that I have moved on. The State of Wisconsin has the trophy.
Good. Next time you whine about it, I'm going to reference this.
As for instant replay, as I said before, just use what you have. No one is advocating the creation of an overly sophisticated system with multiple camara angles and all the gadgets of the NFL and NHL. Just use what you have. Look at the replay from the game footage which is instantly available and make the best call based on that.
It's not "instantly available." Stop saying that.
That's it. Lets all stop trying to make this into something it's not. The NHL did the same thing in the early days of their instant replay system.
And they generated more money in hot dogs in one game than the MISL generates in a season.
As for what the MISl should use instant replay for:

1) Goals in question
Okay. Who gets to decide what's "in question?"
2) Last touch of the ball, within 2 minutes
Talk about slowing the ball down for something inconsequential. Holy cow.
3) Hand balls
See above.
4) 2 point or 3 point goals
5) Three/two line rule (with all the changes, it's primed for instant replay)
I can see 2-point or 3-point goals, but, again, there's just over one three-pointer a game.
PS: Maybe it's time to start grading the officials as well.
You're assuming this doesn't happen.
It's time to step into the future.
As soon as you let go of the past.

Soccer-Man
Site Admin

Post by Soccer-Man » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:06 pm

[quote=""tops804""]In itself, that quote just defined why no one, whatsoever, has taken any of your 64 posts seriously...[/quote]

As a fan of the MISL, I strongly disliked only one team more than the Wisconsin Team, and that was the San Diego Sockers.

The MISL enjoys the blood rivalry between the Blast and Team Wisconsin. It will also enjoy the renewed hatred between Wichita and Kansas City. For any league to survive, it needs meaningful rivalries. So for the Surviving MISL teams, the rivalries are in place.

Hopefully, the I-League teams can add to this. Maybe Rochester and Syracuse can form a rivalry. As for Norfolk, they are close to Baltimore and maybe can form a match up with the Blast.

The above being said, I won't apologize for my dislike of Wisconsin's soccer team. Love it or not, the MISL needs more passionate rivalries. That was part of the selling point of the old days.

Baltimore/San Diego
San Diego/Dallas
Wichita/Kansas City
Kansas City/St. Louis
Cleveland/Baltimore

Return to “MISL”