Instant Replay in the MISL: Special Commentary

The Major Indoor Soccer League (MISL) Forum.

Should the MISL employ the use of instant replay

Poll ended at Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:09 am

The MISL should use instant replay / coaches challenges
50%
The MISL should use a video judge; much like the NHL
No votes
The MISL should not use instant replay of any kind
50%

Total votes: 2

Soccer-Man
Site Admin

Instant Replay in the MISL: Special Commentary

Post by Soccer-Man » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:58 am

After witnessing the world of soccer stand still on March 25, 2011, I knew something was woefully wrong with the MISL‘s officiating. The final score spoke a language that was clearly untrue for anyone that saw the game. Nevertheless, it granted the *Milwaukee Wave the championship of the MISL. Than Commissioner David Grimaldi did nothing to reverse this decision as fans the world over protested the outcome. But I digress because looking forward is the only way to fix the problem with the MISL’s officiating.

After the MISL and the USL merged their respective organizations to form a super league, it’s time for indoor soccer to catch up with current technology. I propose the use of instant replay and coaches challenges to help in the correction of poor calls. Since all 7 of the participating MISL arenas have video technology (including full in-arena screens), it’s a no-brainer. Also, since all the games are streamed live, the footage is available to review on the spot. The NFL, NHL, NBA and even MLB uses instant replay to varying degrees. However, for the MISL to believe that their officials are so good that they don’t need help from current technology, is arrogant. The events of March 25, 2011, is enough proof for soccer fans everywhere to know better.

A system much like the NFL, where coaches have, lets say 2 challenges per half and in the final two minutes, all reviews are initiated by the league. Again, like the NFL, if the coach is wrong, he loses a timeout. This may not be perfect, but maybe the geniuses in the MISL and USL can come up with a better system; anything would be better than what we have now. Since the MISL has always positioned itself as a leader and innovator in American soccer, this would be one more feather in its cap.

Lets make a difference!!!
Last edited by Soccer-Man on Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:00 pm

Your "special commentaries" are so very special. And while it's almost like a sport to point out how idiotic they are, it's so low-impact, really, and you make it so easy, that I can't resist.

[quote=""Soccer-Man""]After witnessing the world of soccer stand still on March 25, 2011, I knew something was woefully wrong with the MISL‘s officiating.[/quote]

First off, the world of soccer didn't stand still on March 25. The world of soccer is a big ol' world, and it barely notices the MISL or the PASL or whatever other farcical indoor leagues pop up only to whither and die.

It's funny, though, how the last time your team won the title, it was a very physical game, with many fouls, yet, because your team won, you didn't seem to notice or see that "something was woefully wrong with the MISL's officiating." Nothing was wrong with it then, but something's really wrong with it now, and something must be done. Funny how that works.
The final score spoke a language that was clearly untrue for anyone that saw the game.
Unless they either (a) came from Milwaukee or ( b) were a neutral observer.
Nevertheless, it granted the *Milwaukee Wave the championship of the MISL.
Something you said you had thought about and would now (and forevermore, presumably) "recognize," which I would presume would mean without the asterisk, but because you're so small and petty and lame-brained, it would surprise no one here that you'd go back on that.
Than Commissioner David Grimaldi did nothing to reverse this decision as fans the world over protested the outcome.
Big sigh. Very big sigh.

If by "the world over," you mean "the space between my ears," then, fine. I'll even give you Baltimore's environs, but only for a month or two afterwards, because nobody holds onto the result of a tiddlywinks championship match for longer than that. Except for you, apparently.

And what do you want the commissioner of a league to do? A judgment NOV like a judge who believes the jury completely didn't get it? Based on what? The fact that your team lost, and you can't handle that emotionally? "Comes the conqueror" and all that b.s.? That's completely insane. Utterly, utterly insane.
After the MISL and the USL merged their respective organizations to form a super league, it’s time for indoor soccer to catch up with current technology. I propose the use of instant replay and coaches challenges to help in the correction of poor calls.
"Like fouls. Against my team's players. Those are all poor calls."
Since all 7 of the participating MISL arenas have video technology (including full in-arena screens), it’s a no-brainer.
Much like your post. But in a different way than you think.
Also, since all the games are streamed live, the footage is available to review on the spot.
It is not guaranteed that all games will be streamed live, and you can review if you like, but you sitting at home watching on your laptop is unlikely to be high enough quality to definitively overrule people who are, say, ten feet away from something that just happened.
The NFL, NHL, NBA and even MLB uses instant replay to varying degrees.
And none of those degrees are to "make sure my team gets every call because I'm upset we lost the championship game."
However, for the MISL to believe that their officials are so good that they don’t need help from current technology, is arrogant.
Do you know that's what they believe? Are these actually "MISL" officials, or USSF officials? I can't keep track of who's affiliated and who isn't. And if it is arrogance (one of your favorite sins to call people out on, apparently), then so is...oh, every league everywhere in the world. Because there's no technological assist of officiating in any soccer league in the world that I'm aware of.
The events of March 25, 2011, is enough proof for soccer fans everywhere to know better.
Again, "My team lost, I'm the only one still upset about it three and a half months later, but I'll try to say the entire world is up in arms about it."
A system much like the NFL, where coaches have, lets say 2 challenges per half and in the final two minutes, all reviews are initiated by the league.
If they could afford the type of technology the NHL and NFL had, where there's a war room that can watch every game and render verdicts, that would be great. When you say "initiated by the league," that's what you're suggesting. You're suggesting there's a room somewhere at League HQ where people are watching every game for every possible ticky-tack foul so that you can feel better, right? Do you know how unrealistic that is?
Again, like the NFL, if the coach is wrong, he loses a timeout. This may not be perfect, but maybe the geniuses in the MISL and USL can come up with a better system; anything would be better than what we have now. Since the MISL has always positioned itself as a leader and innovator in American soccer, this would be one more feather in its cap.
Yes, a leader and an innovator. God, you're beyond help. There is no way on earth someone can honestly believe the things you say without having suffered damage to their brain at some point in the past. Just no way.

Your team lost. Please get the hell over it.
Old enough to remember when bashing the ABA was fun.

wasteland
Site Admin

Post by wasteland » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:01 pm

Its not too often something I read on the internet makes me LOL.

I'll ignore your secondary comments as others here will carve them up, but I'll address your main question. Instant replay at this level is ridiculous at best. Not only would it slow down game play, but its an unneeded expenses that I bet a lot of teams counldn't take on even if they wanted too.

Your team lost fair and square. Get over it man.

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:48 pm

I demand instant replay in MISL- with the caveat that the arena and live feed show the replay official's face.

See, as a USL vet, I want to see that guy's face when the replay goes into its inevitable buffeting.
Mean Spirited Blogger #107

Soccer-Man
Site Admin

Post by Soccer-Man » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:02 pm

[quote=""Pounder""]I demand instant replay in MISL- with the caveat that the arena and live feed show the replay official's face.

See, as a USL vet, I want to see that guy's face when the replay goes into its inevitable buffeting.[/quote]

My thing is this, the MISL needs to change; and change in a major way. Installing instant replay into the rules can be done immediately. Again, since every MISL arena has video technology and since all the games are streamed live, what else is needed. The fans would love it as the officials are not the best and they can see the replay of the poor call(s) on the large screen(s). Moreover, it would place the MISL in the realm with the other major leagues. I hope that the geniuses at the USL would understand this. It's another way to evolve the game.

C'mon Commissioner Economides, give the fans what they want.

Soccer-Man
Site Admin

Post by Soccer-Man » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:08 pm

[quote=""wasteland""]Its not too often something I read on the internet makes me LOL.

I'll ignore your secondary comments as others here will carve them up, but I'll address your main question. Instant replay at this level is ridiculous at best. Not only would it slow down game play, but its an unneeded expenses that I bet a lot of teams counldn't take on even if they wanted too.

Your team lost fair and square. Get over it man.[/quote]

What are the "unneeded expenses." Again, the games are:

a) Being taped (every MISL game; every one)
b) Being streamed live (every MISL game; every one)
c) Video technology is in every MISL arena. (every one)

I doubt that the already poor league officials would charge extra just to watch a video replay, to change or uphold a call.

It's time for Commissioner Economides, the USL and the MISL to give the fans what we want.

Soccer-Man
Site Admin

Post by Soccer-Man » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:14 pm

[quote=""Sam Hill""]
Your team lost. Please get the hell over it.[/quote]

Mr. Hill, I have moved on from the Events of March 25, 2011. The *Milwaukee Wave are the MISL Champions.

All I'm trying to do is level the playing field so that every MISL game can be as fair as it can be for both teams on the field. We've all complained from time to time about the officials. All I'm advocating are the tools of current technology to help them out. And again, these tools are already in place in every MISL arena.

Here's hoping that Commissioner Economides is listening to the fans.

wasteland
Site Admin

Post by wasteland » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:25 am

[quote=""Soccer-Man""]What are the "unneeded expenses." Again, the games are:

a) Being taped (every MISL game; every one)
b) Being streamed live (every MISL game; every one)
c) Video technology is in every MISL arena. (every one)

I doubt that the already poor league officials would charge extra just to watch a video replay, to change or uphold a call.[/quote]

None of that means means anything nor does it mean any of that is suitable for IR. The AHL is proposing IR too, and the major sticking point is the estimated cost per team to get it going which would be around 50k a team. The AHL has it's teams have much MUCH deeper pockets, to me it would appear that IR would be almost unattainable for a league at the level the MISL is.

And really, nobody cares.

Round Lake Illini
Site Admin

Post by Round Lake Illini » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:37 am

[quote=""Soccer-Man""]Mr. Hill, I have moved on from the Events of March 25, 2011. The *Milwaukee Wave are the MISL Champions.

All I'm trying to do is level the playing field so that every MISL game can be as fair as it can be for both teams on the field. We've all complained from time to time about the officials. All I'm advocating are the tools of current technology to help them out. And again, these tools are already in place in every MISL arena.

Here's hoping that Commissioner Economides is listening to the fans.[/quote]

The fact that you have the * next to Milwaukee Wave shows that

1. You haven't moved on
2. You are a crybaby
3. You are an attention-starved instigator

Soccer-Man
Site Admin

Post by Soccer-Man » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:30 pm

[quote=""wasteland""]None of that means means anything nor does it mean any of that is suitable for IR. The AHL is proposing IR too, and the major sticking point is the estimated cost per team to get it going which would be around 50k a team. The AHL has it's teams have much MUCH deeper pockets, to me it would appear that IR would be almost unattainable for a league at the level the MISL is.

And really, nobody cares.[/quote]

I think you're taking this in a direction that it doesn't need to be taken in. I'm not trying to install an expensive system with multiple camera angles. All that is needed are the angles that are available with the cameras that are being used. Here is an article from the LA Times on the initial phase of the NHL's instant replay system.

http://articles.latimes.com/1991-06-25/ ... _goal-line

The NHL used in some cases the team's training tape of the game. Here is a direct quote from that article.

The rule might prove more difficult to implement than the NFL's replay review because, unlike the NFL, not every NHL game is televised. But league officials said that every NHL team tapes all of its games for training purposes and that video would be available to the goal judge.

You see, I'm not looking for perfection, just something (anything) better than what we have now. I know it's possible because the NHL started out with the same tools that are presently available (at NO EXTRA COST) to the MISL.

Let make a difference!!!

Return to “MISL”