Baltimore is infact the oldest indoor team!

The Major Indoor Soccer League (MISL) Forum.
tops804
Site Admin

Post by tops804 » Mon May 30, 2011 7:45 pm

[quote=""BlastFan""]Baltimore is infact the oldest indoor team! [/quote]

...and in a related story.

Soccer-man & Blastfan are proud to announce the reunion of those types of kids on the playground who sat together off to the side. Convinced that the Earth was really flat, music came from "those guys inside the radio", and that Monopoly money was indeed legal tender.

...and that everyone else just didn't know what they were talking about and were just being mean to them.
Last edited by tops804 on Mon May 30, 2011 7:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Adios, OSC message boards. (2007-2017)

balthrop
Site Admin

Spirit/Blast Not Same Team as Blast

Post by balthrop » Tue May 31, 2011 12:27 am

For the last time: the Houston Summit was an original MISL team founded on September 30, 1978 and moved to Baltimore on May 1, 1980. The team folded in June of 1992.

An NPSL franchise was awarded to new owners with no connection to Ed Hale on July 20, 1992. This franchise adopted the Blast nickname on July 10, 1998.

They are not the same franchise. The Wave have played continuously in Division II (AISA/NPSL, XSL) and Division I (NPSL after 1991-92 and MISL II/III) since 1984. This makes them the oldest franchise currently in existence.

BlastFan
Site Admin

Post by BlastFan » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:39 pm

I hate compromising my ideas but for the sake of it I will. I'll go along with you and say the Blast were founded in 1992 as the Spirit. In the Wave's statement they claim to be the oldest continually operated franchise. That statement is wrong.

For one week, the Wave were shut down. For quite some time before that, they weren't even part of a league. (Were they planning on playing themselves the next season?) For a week, if you called the Wave office you wouldn't get an answer. Why? They had abandoned their offices. Players were even allowed to sign with other teams. 'Nuff said.

To wrap this up: The 2011 Blast founded in 1992 have been continually operated longer than the 2011 Wave who regained operations in 2008.
Last edited by BlastFan on Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tops804
Site Admin

It really is too early in the day for anyone to have been drinking...

Post by tops804 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:51 pm

[quote=""BlastFan""]I hate compromising my ideas but for the sake of it I will. I'll go along with you and say the Blast were founded in 1992 as the Spirit. In the Wave's statement they claim to be the oldest continually operated franchise. That statement is wrong.

For one week, the Wave were shut down. For quite some time before that, they weren't even part of a league. (Were they planning on playing themselves the next season?) For a week, if you called the Wave office you wouldn't get an answer. Why? They had abandoned their offices. Players were even allowed to sign with other teams. 'Nuff said.

To wrap this up: The 2011 Blast founded in 1992 have been continually operated longer than the 2011 Wave who regained operations in 2008.[/quote]
Originally Posted by BlastFan
To wrap this up:
Is that a promise???
Adios, OSC message boards. (2007-2017)

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:55 pm

Denial, delusion, lather, rinse, repeat.

BlastFan
Site Admin

Post by BlastFan » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:03 pm

[quote=""tops804""]Is that a promise???[/quote]

Until the Wave stop falsely promoting that they are the longest continually operated franchise on the bottom of their pages. In their latest news articles, it looks like they have stopped (maybe they've read this thread, I know the truth does hurt at times...).
Denial, delusion, lather, rinse, repeat.
Hey man, you can't deny facts.
31 years of indoor soccer in Baltimore as apposed to 27 in Milwaukee
19 years of continuous* operation in Baltimore as apposed to 3 in Milwaukee.

*continuous being defined as no periods under a "shutdown" or periods under "hiatus"

Either way you look at it, the Baltimore Blast are the oldest continually operated team/franchise.
Last edited by BlastFan on Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:06 pm

[quote=""BlastFan""]I hate compromising my ideas but for the sake of it I will. I'll go along with you and say the Blast were founded in 1992 as the Spirit.[/quote]

See, now we're making progress.
In the Wave's statement they claim to be the oldest continually operated franchise. That statement is wrong.

For one week, the Wave were shut down. For quite some time before that, they weren't even part of a league. (Were they planning on playing themselves the next season?)
Oy, vey.

Hey, what league were the Blast in between May 31 and September 9 of 2008?
For a week, if you called the Wave office you wouldn't get an answer. Why? They had abandoned their offices.
For a whole week? My God, that's an eternity...in the summer...of a sport that's played in the winter. That's never happened before!
Players were even allowed to sign with other teams.
Out of curiosity, how many actually did?
'Nuff said.
That's the sound goalposts make when they're being moved.
To wrap this up: The 2011 Blast founded in 1992 have been continually operated longer than the 2011 Wave who regained operations in 2008.
Or was it 2009? After that interminable one-week layoff where you couldn't reach anyone in their offices?

And then, the big question: so what? If you insist on this trivial distinction that's a quibble if there ever was one, what do you get out of this?

They beat your team in the final. That's why you're pissed.
Old enough to remember when bashing the ABA was fun.

BlastFan
Site Admin

Post by BlastFan » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:10 pm

They beat your team in the final. That's why you're pissed.
Believe me when I say this, I'm glad they did. About time another team won for a change, it creates a little more excitement in this league and opportunities for newer teams.
Last edited by BlastFan on Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlastFan
Site Admin

Post by BlastFan » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:10 pm

[quote=""Sam Hill""]
Oy, vey.

Hey, what league were the Blast in between May 31 and September 9 of 2008?
[/quote]

Hale was in the process of forming the NISL. And the phone lines to the Blast offices hadn't been disconnected yet... :rolleyes:
For a whole week? My God, that's an eternity...in the summer...of a sport that's played in the winter. That's never happened before!
That was their official shutdown but their team had been intangible for some time before then (the whole "Save the Wave" campaign, what league were they part of?, etc.)

Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:59 pm

[quote=""BlastFan""]Hale was in the process of forming the NISL.[/quote]

And the XSL - which was announced BEFORE the NISL was announced, by the way - was in the process of being formed, too.

So let me get this straight....it IS a big deal that the Wave weren't in a league for 100 days in the summer of 2008, but it's NOT a big deal that the Blast weren't in a league for 100 days in the summer of 2008? Because Ed Hale was in the process of forming the NISL, but no one was in the process of forming the XSL which was...announced before the NISL was.

Okay, I see what you did there. I think. Idiot.
That was their official shutdown but their team had been intangible for some time before then (the whole "Save the Wave" campaign, what league were they part of?, etc.)
See above....WHAT THE **** ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? Now it's about "who's intangible?"

Let me ask you this: between the 2008-2009 season and the 2009-2010 season, how many scheduled games did the Milwaukee Wave miss? What does a week in the summer mean, exactly?
Believe me when I say this, I'm glad they did. About time another team won for a change, it creates a little more excitement in this league and opportunities for newer teams.
So we are to believe this: it's no big deal to you that your team didn't win the title (at home, no less), but it's a huge deal to you that you are able to cheer for the longest continuously-operated-because-there-was-that-one-week-where-the-Wave-didn't-have-phone-service franchise?

Really? That's your testimony? Do you know how idiotic that sounds?

No, you don't. Because you're a dolt.

Roll your eyes at that, moron.
Old enough to remember when bashing the ABA was fun.

Return to “MISL”