Why The Chicago Riot Will Fail: Special Commentary

The Major Indoor Soccer League (MISL) Forum.
Soccer-Man
Site Admin

Post by Soccer-Man » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:06 pm

[quote=""Sam Hill""]Which is why, from 1998-2002, post-Jordan et al, the Bulls were only able to average 21,162 people per game while going 66-230 on the court. Whose own facts again?

The Blackhawks' problems were more systemic than anything else. When Wirtz died and McDonough came in and started marketing the team like it should have been and bringing it into the late 20th century in terms of procedures, Chicago responded.

But it's easier to just make a dumb blanket statement when you don't know anything about the situation.[/quote]

C'mon Sam, you know that when a team wins a title for two, there is a honeymoon period where fans will show up just because. You know that.

Look, I live in Baltimore and I know all about poor ownership. Remember Robert Irsay got destroyed the Colts here, got drunk and moved them to Indianapolis. The Orioles are owned by the worse owner in Baseball, Peter G. Angelos. The fans stopped showing up and I don't blame them.

Now if you said that the Colts and Orioles fans stopped supporting the teams, you would be right in principle. Yes, there are reasons, but the bottom line, is that no one was/is in the stands. Therefore, your statement would be correct.

Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:38 am

[quote=""Soccer-Man""]C'mon Sam, you know that when a team wins a title for two, there is a honeymoon period where fans will show up just because. You know that.[/quote]

So they showed up for four years JUST BECAUSE?

The biggest icon in the history of the sport - and one of the biggest in the history of American sports - retires, they dismantle the team, they win 13, 17 and 15 games the next three years, people continue to show up and you think it's because of a "honeymoon period" because a group of other guys won "a title (f)or two?"

No, you don't actually think that (I hope). You've just been caught in an idiotic statement that shows your complete lack of knowledge on a subject, but you just continue blithely on as if we're the ones who don't get it.

You've just proven you know jack**** about Chicago and Chicago sports. The Bulls were dismantled. Dismantled. They were horrible. As well as dysfunctional (hey, Merry Christmas, Tim Floyd!). But you'd like us to believe it was "a honeymoon period" after they won "a title (f)or two." With a straight face, you type this.

You've got issues, man. Serious issues. Just admit you're wrong and be done with it. You know nothing about this issue.
Old enough to remember when bashing the ABA was fun.

BlastFan
Site Admin

Post by BlastFan » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:56 pm

Its not fair to say "Chicago doesn't deserve an expansion team." They absolutely do. Any team that can be added at the last minute, like they were, and fill the role of defunct teams deserves to be playing in the league.

I do agree they will fail eventually. But for now, they are serving their purpose and they do deserve to be part of this league for doing so.

Soccer-Man
Site Admin

Post by Soccer-Man » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:00 am

What an absolute disgrace the City of Chicago and the Riot are. To stage a game on SuperBowl Sunday in the direct path of the game is stupid. I watched some of the game and you guessed it: there's nobody there.

Just when I thought the Milwaukee Wave had the market on stupidity locked down and all to themselves, here come the Chicago Riot. Unbelieveable!!!

SHAME

Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:33 am

You do know they didn't have a lot of choice in the matter, right? They don't exactly control their arena like The Honorable Ed Hale does. They take the dates they can get.

Regardless, I'm not quite sure why this makes "the City of Chicago" a disgrace. You seem to have quite the hard0n for Chicago for some unknown reason.

From what I can gather, Chicago was a stopgap team thrown together at the last minute to enable the league to play at all this year. They couldn't have played with just four teams. So when the person you recruit to fill out your poker game isn't very good, don't complain if you wouldn't have been able to play at all without them.

By the way, it looks like the disgrace of a team actually beat your Blast once and only lost to them by 4, 1 and 5 points. Seems to me you should be pumping them pretty regularly if you're the brilliant be-all and end-all.

Lastly, how is your life impacted one iota if no one attends a game in Chicago? You have yet to adequately explain how that keeps Baltimore from drawing fans. If there's going to be all this expansion in the MISL and the league is doing so well that it's going to average 5,000 a game in attendance this year, I guess the Riot can't be hurting the league too much, now, can they?

CorA
Site Admin

Post by CorA » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:56 am

Soccer-Man: You seem to think that everyone in Chicago knows about the Riot. Are a disgrace if only us and the 1000 people in the stands know they even exist? Just because the the Riot have the "Chicago" name on it doesn't mean they are a Chicago team! How are they a disgrace to Chicago they aren't even a Chicago team. You know NOTHING about Chicago sports and are making useless posts. The Sears Centre, Expo Center, Allstate Arena, etc. are not part of Chicago. The Allstate Arena is doing great anyway and the Wolves are at the top for attendance. The Sears Centre just changed ownership and are doing better. They just got a new hockey team (Announced a year and a half before their first season).

If you really knew about Chicago (AND LIVE THERE LIKE I DO!) you would know how great the fans are here. Chicago can greatly support two baseball teams. Why did you throw in the Sox for your false list of failing franchises and buildings? I'm a Cubs fan and I can easily say the Sox do better than well. The only reason the Hawks weren't supported until recently was because the past owner didn't care. When the Bulls sucked they had good attendance several years after. I have never known a 5 year "honeymoon." What do you have against Chicago?

Soccer-Man
Site Admin

Post by Soccer-Man » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:44 pm

[quote=""CorA""]Soccer-Man: You seem to think that everyone in Chicago knows about the Riot. Are a disgrace if only us and the 1000 people in the stands know they even exist? Just because the the Riot have the "Chicago" name on it doesn't mean they are a Chicago team! How are they a disgrace to Chicago they aren't even a Chicago team. You know NOTHING about Chicago sports and are making useless posts. The Sears Centre, Expo Center, Allstate Arena, etc. are not part of Chicago. The Allstate Arena is doing great anyway and the Wolves are at the top for attendance. The Sears Centre just changed ownership and are doing better. They just got a new hockey team (Announced a year and a half before their first season).

If you really knew about Chicago (AND LIVE THERE LIKE I DO!) you would know how great the fans are here. Chicago can greatly support two baseball teams. Why did you throw in the Sox for your false list of failing franchises and buildings? I'm a Cubs fan and I can easily say the Sox do better than well. The only reason the Hawks weren't supported until recently was because the past owner didn't care. When the Bulls sucked they had good attendance several years after. I have never known a 5 year "honeymoon." What do you have against Chicago?[/quote]

Thanks for making my point. The fact that no one knows about the Riot is the fault of the management. Playing in a 3,000 seat arena should mean that overhead is low and it should also afford them the opportunity to return next year. But the Riot's front office need to step their game up. I realize that the led time was very short, but now they will have an off season to work things through.

I stand by my point of Chi-Town not being much of a sports city, but hey if Indianapolis can see the good in Bob Irsay, I guess anything is possible.

SHAME

CorA
Site Admin

Post by CorA » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:57 am

Chicago was named #1 Sports City in the USA 3 times http://www.suntimes.com/sports/2779742, ... 06.article
Ranked 4th in Best Fans: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/4761 ... es#page/48

Chicago is able to passionately support 2 MLB baseball teams, an NBA basketball team, an NHL hockey team, a NFL football team, a MLS soccer team, and several minor league teams (Wolves are among the top of the AHL in attendance and are on TV, Single-A Cougars baseball, the Slaughter IFL team won the fan base award in 2010http://www.goifl.com/media/newsarchive/index.h ... le_id=2589, and the Rush (AFL) do very well in attendance).
http://www.chicagotraveler.com/chicago_sports.htm
Does this change your mind because there is more?

What about Chicago doesn't make it a sports town?

wasteland
Site Admin

Post by wasteland » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:19 am

[quote=""CorA""]
What about Chicago doesn't make it a sports town?[/quote]

Obviously lackluster attendance at semi-pro indoor soccer games. :-D

Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:14 pm

[quote=""CorA""]What about Chicago doesn't make it a sports town?[/quote]

It's not Baltimore.

Duh.

Return to “MISL”