Hartford mentioned as possible UFL franchise

The United Football League (UFL) forum
Fran
Site Admin

Hartford mentioned as possible UFL franchise

Post by Fran » Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:00 pm

That might be a good location in the East.

http://www.bostonherald.com/business/ge ... id=1036633

Nor is it Armstrong’s only sports interest. The young Google executive is a minority investor in the United Football League, a new pro football startup that hopes to compete with the National Football League.

Don’t look for a UFL start-up in the Boston area anytime soon, with the Patriots [team stats] franchise seen as a tough one to compete with. But Armstrong says there is always a chance the new league will take root in Hartford, Conn., which has long wanted a professional sports team.

rams80
Site Admin

Post by rams80 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:40 pm

Except the UFL is as minor league as the AHL, which has a team in Hartford. However, after Kraft did his screw job on Hartford, I could see them wanting a football team.
Mean Spirited Blogger #24601

Accused of being a Cyber Terrorist by Joe Newman.

This league (NIFL) is like a frickin' cockroach. You could throw a nuclear bomb at it and it would still survive
-tony-o

So I'd rather spend a quarter of an ABA franchise to repair my car, as opposed to spending a franchise and a half to get a new car that might have some planned obsolescence that causes it to break down 5 days after the end of the warranty period.
-Chuck the Writer

logoguru
Site Admin

Post by logoguru » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:18 am

I'll be there if this ever comes true!!!!! Season tickets!?!
Rentschler is a great venue, good for soccer too.
________
Park Royal 1 Condos Prathumnak Pattaya
Last edited by logoguru on Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

VegasJeff
Site Admin

Hartford a wise choice

Post by VegasJeff » Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:52 pm

Having spent my youth in Connecticut, I feel it would serve as an ideal market for the UFL. Every previous failed football venture has included the folly of a "New York/New Jersey" franchise that plays in a deserted Giants Stadium. It looks depressing on TV and nobody cares about what is perceived as "minor league football" in a major sports town. The UFL needs to concentrate on non-NFL markets and strong markets without major league sports in general. Hartford would be a wise choice. The people of Connecticut were wrongly used as leverage in Bob Kraft's spat with Massachusetts, yet from this misfortune, laid the foundation for Rentschler Field, a state of the art 40,000 seat stadium. They have strongly supported the collegiate programs creating a sports identity that is unique from that of the larger New York and Boston markets. The wealthiest state of the union, with a population of 3.5 million, Connecticut should serve as one of the strongest markets for an upstart venture such as the UFL.

indy legend
Site Admin

Hartford

Post by indy legend » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:55 pm

^ I absolutly agree with you VegasJeff. I have seen a few UConn college football games from your stadium there. It looks like a tremendous facility. I think it would also be a much better choise for the New England Revolution to play in than Gillette.

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:40 pm

BTW... Robert Kraft is still working his way around Boston, trying to find a site for a new stadium for the Revolution.

THAT would be a better idea than moving to Hartford.

indy legend
Site Admin

Post by indy legend » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:59 pm

[quote=""Pounder""]BTW... Robert Kraft is still working his way around Boston, trying to find a site for a new stadium for the Revolution.

THAT would be a better idea than moving to Hartford.[/quote]

That may be. I did not know Kraft owned the Revs. I thought they were just a tenant at Gillette. I was just thinking a facility a little smaller than Gillette, but still in the New England area that would be a good soccer facility. Anyway, we've strayed of topic a bit. I'd like to see a UFL team at Rentschler.

Return to “UFL”