UFL pays off big for Josh McCown

The United Football League (UFL) forum
4th&long
Site Admin

UFL pays off big for Josh McCown

Post by 4th&long » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:59 am

The UFL has helped many players.... Here's a notable one..... And a $10mm over 2 years $4.75mm guaranteed contract with Bucs

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... t-another/

>>
Smith coached McCown in 2011 and 2012, when McCown was the Bears’ backup quarterback. And Smith said he has always admired McCown, dating to the first time the Bears tried to sign McCown. That was in 2010, when McCown was with the Hartford Colonials of the United Football League. The Bears came calling and asked McCown to sign with them, but McCown declined, saying he had already given his word to the Colonials and wouldn’t break his commitment. Smith said that made him admire McCown as a man of integrity.
Last edited by 4th&long on Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:43 pm

Explain to me again how playing eight games in the UFL resulted in his contract four years later with the Bucs, when he had actually played in the NFL prior to the UFL, and it was more his play in limited action last year and his free agent status/timing that got him the contract he just signed?

Then explain to me....so what? The UFL was a joke that couldn't complete its seasons, left players who weren't paid, couldn't do much right and barely made a ripple in the water. But, hey, alternative league, so it's great in your eyes.
Old enough to remember when bashing the ABA was fun.

4th&long
Site Admin

Post by 4th&long » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:34 pm

[quote=""Sam Hill""]Explain to me again how playing eight games in the UFL resulted in his contract four years later with the Bucs, when he had actually played in the NFL prior to the UFL, and it was more his play in limited action last year and his free agent status/timing that got him the contract he just signed?

Then explain to me....so what? The UFL was a joke that couldn't complete its seasons, left players who weren't paid, couldn't do much right and barely made a ripple in the water. But, hey, alternative league, so it's great in your eyes.[/quote]

It's not that it was an alt league, that made it attractive to me but rather it was a high level of (pro) FB.

UFL extended many players careers. By playing and starting in Hartford Josh was able to show his ability, stay in FB shape and garner interest. Otherwise he'd be coaching HS. Rhodes also got a contract that season for Indy.

UFL while off field was a joke did a solid job on field especially the 1st three seasons.

4th&long
Site Admin

Post by 4th&long » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:50 am

[quote=""Sam Hill""]Explain to me again how playing eight games in the UFL resulted in his contract four years later with the Bucs, when he had actually played in the NFL prior to the UFL, and it was more his play in limited action last year and his free agent status/timing that got him the contract he just signed?

Then explain to me....so what? The UFL was a joke that couldn't complete its seasons, left players who weren't paid, couldn't do much right and barely made a ripple in the water. But, hey, alternative league, so it's great in your eyes.[/quote]

More on it...

http://www.joebucsfan.com/?p=109451#more-109451

“I think he can still make all the throws and he doesn’t have a lot of mileage on him,” Polian said of McCown. “Second of all, he is very bright, very resourceful and is a great competitor. I happen to be friends with Chris Palmer who coached him in the UFL. Chris coached Eli Manning among other great quarterbacks in his long career. And he said that Josh McCown has everything you would want in a quarterback and the best thing about him is that he is not a swashbuckler. He realizes at this stage of his career he should make the high-percentage throw, that he shouldn’t turn the ball over, that you can win games by playing good, solid, sound football and not try to hit the big play all the time.

Return to “UFL”