Sacramento Mountain Lions team owner Pelosi promises back pay for coaches

The United Football League (UFL) forum
Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:01 pm

[quote=""4th&long""]How has the public shown that? The last league usfl was watched. And times are way different. [/quote]

You're right in that times are way different. No football league since then has come close to USFL ratings, in part because ( a ) there's more NFL football on TV now than ever, ( b ) there's more college football on TV now than ever (the USFL operated largely in the pre-NCAA-lawsuit TV universe) and ( c ) the USFL actually paid for star players.

No league since then has done that, the XFL didn't do that, the UFL didn't do that, the supposed new USFL won't do that, this A11 nonsense won't do that.

The public will watch the hell out of NFL football. And it will watch a lot of college football. It's not going to watch knockoff supposed pro football, especially as gimmicky as this A11 bs.
And again the threshold for gaining a tv contract has been lower due to a focus on demographics vs raw numbers and thousands more hours to fill
"Getting on TV" is not the same as "gaining a TV contract."
Look at arena
Well, let's look at arena, shall we? Their ratings on NBC dropped every year, struggled to get to the 1.0 range despite incessant promotion when NBC didn't have NFL football, and no one knows if the AFL is actually getting paid for this.

A new football league that purports to not try and take on the NFL and act as a complement or a developmental tool or offer live football in places where they don't have it could find a niche and exploit it. But they ain't getting paid to be on a reasonable TV outlet and people ain't gonna watch that **** just because they watched the USFL 30 years ago.

They're just not going to do it. I know the alternative league nerds act like there's huge pent-up demand for this, but if there was huge demand, the UFL wouldn't have played to crickets and the XFL wouldn't have lost $80M.

It's not happening. You can pine all you want for a successful league whose initials aren't NFL, but you're not getting it.
Old enough to remember when bashing the ABA was fun.

4th&long
Site Admin

Post by 4th&long » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:07 pm

[quote=""Pounder""]Let me also clarify something.

Portland HAS the University of Oregon... even if it is in Eugene. One need only take a quick glance at media outlets to figure that out.

Portland has football... the real stuff, the Timbers. You could also argue that there's Portland State University football, but you will shake your heads at the crowds.

Portland doesn't want "football," or football that just exists (which in PSU's case is barely). Portland wants the NFL. Of course, Portland doesn't really want to pay for the facilities required to actually bring the NFL here, so it doesn't apparently NEED the NFL. It always has the Ducks. Sometimes the Beavers, too.[/quote]

That's a lot of supposition. Give a quality sound league - I think Portland will want it. No one will know till it's tried for sure...

4th&long
Site Admin

Post by 4th&long » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:13 pm

[quote=""Sam Hill""]You're right in that times are way different. No football league since then has come close to USFL ratings, in part because ( a ) there's more NFL football on TV now than ever, ( b ) there's more college football on TV now than ever (the USFL operated largely in the pre-NCAA-lawsuit TV universe) and ( c ) the USFL actually paid for star players.

No league since then has done that, the XFL didn't do that, the UFL didn't do that, the supposed new USFL won't do that, this A11 nonsense won't do that.

The public will watch the hell out of NFL football. And it will watch a lot of college football. It's not going to watch knockoff supposed pro football, especially as gimmicky as this A11 bs.

"Getting on TV" is not the same as "gaining a TV contract."

Well, let's look at arena, shall we? Their ratings on NBC dropped every year, struggled to get to the 1.0 range despite incessant promotion when NBC didn't have NFL football, and no one knows if the AFL is actually getting paid for this.

A new football league that purports to not try and take on the NFL and act as a complement or a developmental tool or offer live football in places where they don't have it could find a niche and exploit it. But they ain't getting paid to be on a reasonable TV outlet and people ain't gonna watch that **** just because they watched the USFL 30 years ago.

They're just not going to do it. I know the alternative league nerds act like there's huge pent-up demand for this, but if there was huge demand, the UFL wouldn't have played to crickets and the XFL wouldn't have lost $80M.

It's not happening. You can pine all you want for a successful league whose initials aren't NFL, but you're not getting it.[/quote]

You make some some good points.

But let's be clear here, I'm not begging for it I think it will happens can happen. The nfl isn't gospel and they could screw the pouch even ie kickoffs and flag/instance replay.

Pent up demand? Not saying that, saying there's potential in sizable cities no diff than afl in 60s. Fb is the national sport, it can happen, needs the right group

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:55 am

[quote=""4th&long""]That's a lot of supposition. Give a quality sound league - I think Portland will want it. No one will know till it's tried for sure...[/quote]

We HAD the Storm, we had the Breakers, we saw what happened.
Mean Spirited Blogger #107

4th&long
Site Admin

Post by 4th&long » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:04 am

[quote=""Pounder""]We HAD the Storm, we had the Breakers, we saw what happened.[/quote]

A failed attempt by trump to move the usfl to the fall by the Donald? I don't think that illustrates anything but a wrong move at the wrong time. If the usfl had stayed in the spring things may have been diff. But a Portland team in a minors sq alt league now? 30 years later. Who knows

Looks like Portland liked the usfl too, solid attendance

http://www.remembertheusfl.8m.com/attendance.html
Last edited by 4th&long on Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Andy J
Site Admin

Post by Andy J » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:28 pm

[quote=""Pounder""]We HAD the Storm, we had the Breakers, we saw what happened.[/quote]

Based on that you dismiss all alternative football,amazing and extremely cynical.

Portland is an important sports town. I think a pro football team would complement existing professional sports . The problem would not be support but whether a team could get a stadium lease considering it's occupied by two other tenants.
AndyG

Andy J
Site Admin

Post by Andy J » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:39 pm

[quote=""Pounder""]Let me also clarify something.

Portland HAS the University of Oregon... even if it is in Eugene. One need only take a quick glance at media outlets to figure that out.

Portland has football... the real stuff, the Timbers. You could also argue that there's Portland State University football, but you will shake your heads at the crowds.

Portland doesn't want "football," or football that just exists (which in PSU's case is barely). Portland wants the NFL. Of course, Portland doesn't really want to pay for the facilities required to actually bring the NFL here, so it doesn't apparently NEED the NFL. It always has the Ducks. Sometimes the Beavers, too.[/quote]

I think Portland has it's own sports identity . I don't see how they could claim the Ducks or OSU.
PSU is not major college football , it wouldn't take anything from a pro football team.
It may not want to pay for an NFL team but would support a team that it doesn't have to pay for. I can see support for the Timbers , but honestly guys prancing around in little shorts and bobby sox is not the real stuff, Portlandians would prefer American football if given the chance.
AndyG

Cleveland Fan
Site Admin

Post by Cleveland Fan » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:08 am

Does anybody see smaller regional pro leagues with smaller payrolls (a la minor league baseball and lower level hockey) as a possibility or is outdoor football so expensive as to require any league paying its players anything to be as big as MLS to survive?

Cleveland Fan
Site Admin

Post by Cleveland Fan » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:10 am

[quote=""Andy J""]I think Portland has it's own sports identity . I don't see how they could claim the Ducks or OSU.
PSU is not major college football , it wouldn't take anything from a pro football team.
It may not want to pay for an NFL team but would support a team that it doesn't have to pay for. I can see support for the Timbers , but honestly guys prancing around in little shorts and bobby sox is not the real stuff, Portlandians would prefer American football if given the chance.[/quote]

American football and soccer aren't necessarily an either/or situation. Seattle seems to support both quite well.

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:01 am

[quote=""Cleveland Fan""]Does anybody see smaller regional pro leagues with smaller payrolls (a la minor league baseball and lower level hockey) as a possibility or is outdoor football so expensive as to require any league paying its players anything to be as big as MLS to survive?[/quote]

That's really what the semi-pros are doing. Just hard to earn any revenue doing it that way.
Last edited by preeths on Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “UFL”