Sacramento Mountain Lions team owner Pelosi promises back pay for coaches

The United Football League (UFL) forum
preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:39 am

[quote=""Andy J""]You have a very large pool of players that are late cuts how about 32 X 15.
A number will sign. Among others. (The UFL had a good product.) To be released in late November.
They were willing to bear quite a bit with WLAF /NFLE . 1991-92 then 1994-2007. I think that's a long time. They would handcuff themselves to protect their investment and to try to insure the leagues success . Like I said.

Players available in the Fall in game shape to replace injured players is appealing, so who says it can't be in the Fall.[/quote]

No, they won't handcuff themselves to protect an investment of maybe $1 million a year, not at the expense of their billion dollar plus assets. According to Forbes, the average NFL team is worth north of a billion dollars. No one in their right mind is going to tie their own hands from getting a player they might need during the season. The economic incentive, and that's what it's going to come down to, is nowhere near there.

Again, finding enough players is never going to be a problem for a new league. But if you're looking at that next tier of guys who aren't in the NFL, but who know a coach has their number on speed dial, they're going to think twice about taking a $25,000/year offer which could prevent them from taking a $102,000/year offer, the NFL minimum for a practice squad player, the next time a guy goes down.

Andy J
Site Admin

Post by Andy J » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:17 pm

[quote=""preeths""]No, they won't handcuff themselves to protect an investment of maybe $1 million a year, not at the expense of their billion dollar plus assets. According to Forbes, the average NFL team is worth north of a billion dollars. No one in their right mind is going to tie their own hands from getting a player they might need during the season. The economic incentive, and that's what it's going to come down to, is nowhere near there.

Again, finding enough players is never going to be a problem for a new league. But if you're looking at that next tier of guys who aren't in the NFL, but who know a coach has their number on speed dial, they're going to think twice about taking a $25,000/year offer which could prevent them from taking a $102,000/year offer, the NFL minimum for a practice squad player, the next time a guy goes down.[/quote]

1 million ? I would think more along the lines of 10-20 million . A million wouldn't be worth it. They may get some late cuts , early cuts, some veterans . Will make fora quality product which is the important thing.
AndyG

4th&long
Site Admin

Post by 4th&long » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:56 am

[quote=""preeths""]No, they won't handcuff themselves to protect an investment of maybe $1 million a year, not at the expense of their billion dollar plus assets. According to Forbes, the average NFL team is worth north of a billion dollars. No one in their right mind is going to tie their own hands from getting a player they might need during the season. The economic incentive, and that's what it's going to come down to, is nowhere near there.

Again, finding enough players is never going to be a problem for a new league. But if you're looking at that next tier of guys who aren't in the NFL, but who know a coach has their number on speed dial, they're going to think twice about taking a $25,000/year offer which could prevent them from taking a $102,000/year offer, the NFL minimum for a practice squad player, the next time a guy goes down.[/quote]

Preeths,

Not sure what you are saying here. Clearly the ufl signed players. Also with only limited restrictions on moves to nfl, why wouldn't a player sign?

And remember vets can't really sign to the practice squad

4th

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:16 pm

I cited the practice squad as the bare minimum that a player can make in the NFL, which would be on the practice squad. Vet minimums are even more. A player wouldn't sign with a new league if he felt he had any chance at NFL money and signing with the new league might hinder him in that pursuit (i.e. not free to move to the NFL immediately, transfer fee required, etc.).

NFL owners, I believe, each kicked in about $1 million/year for the WLAF/NFLE. At the end, they didn't see the value in it, so good luck trying to squeeze $10-20 mil out of them in one pop for a developmental league. The point still stands even at the larger figure of $10+ mil: NFL owners aren't going to tie their own hands by not being able to immediately sign hypothetical developmental league players if their NFL teams need them.

4th&long
Site Admin

Post by 4th&long » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:52 pm

[quote=""preeths""]I cited the practice squad as the bare minimum that a player can make in the NFL, which would be on the practice squad. Vet minimums are even more. A player wouldn't sign with a new league if he felt he had any chance at NFL money and signing with the new league might hinder him in that pursuit (i.e. not free to move to the NFL immediately, transfer fee required, etc.).

NFL owners, I believe, each kicked in about $1 million/year for the WLAF/NFLE. At the end, they didn't see the value in it, so good luck trying to squeeze $10-20 mil out of them in one pop for a developmental league. The point still stands even at the larger figure of $10+ mil: NFL owners aren't going to tie their own hands by not being able to immediately sign hypothetical developmental league players if their NFL teams need them.[/quote]

I don't think the nfl will support a dev league either, though who knows. It would have to be an Indy league.

Not every player is eligible for the practice squad. My point was vets are usually not after playing a certain # of games. Look at josh Johnson last year, played for Sacramento then steelers after the short season. It helped him, and he was not practice squad eligible.

Besides practice squad can be the kiss of death if no one sees you play,

4th

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:43 pm

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely believe some players can benefit from a developmental league. But there is a group of players who believe they could be called into the NFL tomorrow, and they won't do anything to damage those odds.

Andy J
Site Admin

Post by Andy J » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:53 pm

[quote=""preeths""]Here's what I'm talking about:
http://www.businessinsider.com/indecisi ... 00-2010-12

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... e-rosters/

http://articles.courant.com/2010-11-18/ ... ansfer-fee[/quote]

A contract is a contract. There should of never been any situation where a player could leave the league until the season was over. If the NFL would invest and become part of another league then that situation could be relaxed.
AndyG

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:21 pm

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts...

Andy J
Site Admin

Post by Andy J » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:00 pm

[quote=""preeths""]If ifs and buts were candy and nuts...[/quote]

Don't understand must be a cultural thing.
AndyG

Return to “UFL”