Sacramento Mountain Lions team owner Pelosi promises back pay for coaches

The United Football League (UFL) forum
4th&long
Site Admin

Post by 4th&long » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:52 am

[quote=""preeths""]A new league can get covered locally, particularly in small markets, but it's not getting any national attention in the fall which it needs to get sponsorships and any kind of real (i.e. paying) TV deal. I don't believe the UFL teams in even those three markets were covered to the extent the local minor league baseball teams were.

Overall, attention for a league starting its season is relatively high. Attention for NBA and NHL teams in several markets can fall off a cliff after the first couple of months if the team is struggling.

You forget, I'm not arguing for the spring. It's a tough thing to establish a new league regardless of season. I'm arguing against the fall because I believe there is absolutely no way for a new league to work in the fall, not without perhaps a billion dollar investment. Literally. The odds are still small in the spring, but they're better than just about the zero that I see in the fall.[/quote]

Playing in just 5 of the cities I've listed with even modest promotion could get the wnba/mls 220-250k viewers based on what ufl got IMO.

This is a good thread....
Last edited by 4th&long on Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Andy J
Site Admin

Post by Andy J » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:15 am

[quote=""4th&long""]Playing in just 5 of the cities I've listed with even modest promotion could get the wnba/mls 220-250k viewers based on what ufl got IMO.

This is a good thread....[/quote]

It is a good thread haven't talked too much about this lately . Hopefully something will pop soon. I remember the XFL seemed to pop out of nowhere.One day we heard here that an announcement was coming.
AndyG

tops804
Site Admin

Post by tops804 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:35 am

[quote=""Andy J""]It is a good thread haven't talked too much about this lately . Hopefully something will pop soon. I remember the XFL seemed to pop out of nowhere.One day we heard here that an announcement was coming.[/quote]

4 things to remember
New USFL
A11FL
NSFL
Not to mention the fact that the UFL promised to finish it's last season, in the next spring. (I know, laughs all around)

Truth be told, I don't see much in the way of outdoor football leagues "Popping up" in the near future. It's one thing to say it, it's another to do it.

Don't forget that the XFL was "Football for a then NFL'less NBC main network". The NFL quickly took care of that didn't they?

Andy J - Believe it or not, I remember when the San Antonio Gunslingers were founded, and quickly made them "my team". (As a native Ohioian who was fascinated by the fact that an almost unheard of city {NBA only} actually was getting a pro football team). I actually had hope when they finished season #1 with a 7-11 record. Never knew they were in such horrible shape in 1985, until the stories surfaced years later.
Last edited by tops804 on Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adios, OSC message boards. (2007-2017)

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:56 pm

[quote=""4th&long""]Could not disagree with you more on this, especially here in the NE. College FB gets very little attention. 90% of the people in my office don't watch it, the ones who do are from the mid west, south and plains. Radio here basically ignores it. And that's the local cbs and espn. But people are glued Sunday for pro esp local teams. So I think there is room and acceptance will depend on the region.[/quote]

College football gets great attention nationally, and I'll bet ratings for it are good in the heavily-populated Northeast. Really they have to be otherwise the big networks would have little interest. I'm not arguing that a new league would not be accepted, but it would have to be accepted on more than a regional basis.

Andy J
Site Admin

Post by Andy J » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:18 pm

[quote=""tops804""]4 things to remember
New USFL
A11FL
NSFL
Not to mention the fact that the UFL promised to finish it's last season, in the next spring. (I know, laughs all around)

Truth be told, I don't see much in the way of outdoor football leagues "Popping up" in the near future. It's one thing to say it, it's another to do it.

Don't forget that the XFL was "Football for a then NFL'less NBC main network". The NFL quickly took care of that didn't they?

Andy J - Believe it or not, I remember when the San Antonio Gunslingers were founded, and quickly made them "my team". (As a native Ohioian who was fascinated by the fact that an almost unheard of city {NBA only} actually was getting a pro football team). I actually had hope when they finished season #1 with a 7-11 record. Never knew they were in such horrible shape in 1985, until the stories surfaced years later.[/quote]

New USFL , A11 have not produced any investors , rich people with money willing to lay it down.
The NSFL doesn't count.

Only the UFL while not enough of them has gotten enough investors to kickoff and that was for the Fall . The UFL "return " was supposedly some type of Spring/Fall format. The Spring part was never formalized.
The closest thing to a recent Spring league was the AAFL in 2008 who had one investor committed to funding the league for a year, then backed out right before camp.

NFL-less maybe a factor , but we have additional networks now without enough programing

The Gunslingers :well I attended every game except one in two seasons. We didn't know they were in bad shape until the paychecks bounced in early 1985. It was downhill after that .
Reminds me of the UFL party in Omaha . I got invited partied with a lot of people met Doug Flutie , Joe Theisman ate free food , drank a lot of free wine. Everything seemed like the league was about to burst out. But then shortly after we start hearing about coaches, players and vendors not being paid. It was generally downhill after that. Even though we had a couple of half seasons.
AndyG

4th&long
Site Admin

Post by 4th&long » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:36 am

[quote=""tops804""]

Andy J - Believe it or not, I remember when the San Antonio Gunslingers were founded, and quickly made them "my team". (As a native Ohioian who was fascinated by the fact that an almost unheard of city {NBA only} actually was getting a pro football team). I actually had hope when they finished season #1 with a 7-11 record. Never knew they were in such horrible shape in 1985, until the stories surfaced years later.[/quote]

Tops,

Yep

Actually already mentioned that the NFL has spread the wealth (themselves) to every network, I agree it has the effect of reducing non nfl FB interest. Not by accident for sure.

Andy J
Site Admin

Post by Andy J » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:56 am

[quote=""4th&long""]Tops,

Yep

Actually already mentioned that the NFL has spread the wealth (themselves) to every network, I agree it has the effect of reducing non nfl FB interest. Not by accident for sure.[/quote]

But I think it's often exaggerated especially on alternative league boards. The NFL moved into Sunday nights(on ESPN) shortly after the USFL folded. But after that all alternative leagues have not been a threat. It would of a matter of short time before the NFL would of gone back to NBC anyway. The increase in sports networks is the most important TV factor for new alternative leagues. Since they are not a threat ,
they can live side by side.
AndyG

tops804
Site Admin

Post by tops804 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:51 am

[quote=""4th&long""]

Actually already mentioned that the NFL has spread the wealth (themselves) to every network, I agree it has the effect of reducing non nfl FB interest. Not by accident for sure.[/quote]

Also, not an accident...Is the NFL Network being ready to surrender it's Thursday game. Does anyone really think that "FoxSports1" has anything to do with this? FS1 is ESPN's first real threat in years. Not NBCSN, or CBS Sports Network. Which is probably going to prompt a tidy bidding war between the networks, ending with the first two I mentioned.

Remember, in the USFL anti-trust suit. The conclusion was that the NFL was a monopoly. However, you can't confuse "monopoly" with just "doing what's best for business". The networks asked for the NFL, the NFL was only happy to oblige at a high cost. Passed on to the networks, advertisers and fans.

[quote=""Andy J""]But I think it's often exaggerated especially on alternative league boards. The NFL moved into Sunday nights(on ESPN) shortly after the USFL folded.[/quote]

...and after ESPN had enough households, popularity, and money to get a small part-season deal. I don't think it was until 1990 that a full season Sunday night schedule aired, in part because TNT picked up the early part of the schedule. It wasn't until ESPN's 11th season of SNF, that they held the entire schedule.
It would of a matter of short time before the NFL would of gone back to NBC anyway.
Fox took away CBS games in 1994, CBS took away NBC's in 1998...It wasn't "A short time" before the NFL gave NBC a Sunday night game, in 2006 (9 seasons later).
The increase in sports networks is the most important TV factor for new alternative leagues. Since they are not a threat ,
they can live side by side.
They will not survive at all, on only minor league deals (See FoxSports1 above), and in all likelihood would have to be paid by the league to show games.
Last edited by tops804 on Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
Adios, OSC message boards. (2007-2017)

Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:56 pm

[quote=""4th&long""]Tv FB is also bigger than ever. [/quote]

NFL TV FB.

And to a slightly lesser extent, NCAA TV FB.

Developmental, alternative or otherwise Not Quite Good Enough FB cannot hope to get any of that. Because the public has shown it's not interested.
Old enough to remember when bashing the ABA was fun.

Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:02 pm

[quote=""tops804""]Also, not an accident...Is the NFL Network being ready to surrender it's Thursday game. Does anyone really think that "FoxSports1" has anything to do with this? FS1 is ESPN's first real threat in years. [/quote]

And they're not a "real threat."

I'm sorry, but when you have ESPN's history and dual revenue streams and the most powerful and profitable entity in the history of American television, you don't really worry about two Canucks laughing.
Fox took away CBS games in 1994, CBS took away NBC's in 1998...It wasn't "A short time" before the NFL gave NBC a Sunday night game, in 2006 (9 seasons later).
And only when MNF switched to ESPN from ABC. But there were contracts involved.
Old enough to remember when bashing the ABA was fun.

Return to “UFL”