Sacramento Mountain Lions team owner Pelosi promises back pay for coaches

The United Football League (UFL) forum
Andy J
Site Admin

Post by Andy J » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:31 am

[quote=""Cleveland Fan""]American football and soccer aren't necessarily an either/or situation. Seattle seems to support both quite well.[/quote]

Yes I know. But soccer may affect the usage of Portland's only stadium by a football team . but other than that I don't see a problem with both existing side by side. The other comment just shows my disdain for soccer. Boring game.
AndyG

Cleveland Fan
Site Admin

Post by Cleveland Fan » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:05 pm

[quote=""preeths""]That's really what the semi-pros are doing. Just hard to earn any revenue doing it that way.[/quote]

Is that more because the equipment costs and large roster size eat up the revenue so fast that only a nationwide megaleague can have anything left for player payroll or American fans willing to tolerate "small" leagues from baseball and hockey but expecting "bigness" from football?

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:25 pm

Equipment costs, roster size, insurance, venue costs and history all play a part. Plus, teams can generally only play one football game a week, an average of one home gate every couple of weeks, where a baseball team might average six home games in a two-week span and a hockey team three in two weeks.

Cleveland Fan
Site Admin

Post by Cleveland Fan » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:48 pm

[quote=""preeths""]Equipment costs, roster size, insurance, venue costs and history all play a part. Plus, teams can generally only play one football game a week, an average of one home gate every couple of weeks, where a baseball team might average six home games in a two-week span and a hockey team three in two weeks.[/quote]

Makes sense. Too expensive for too few games to make it on the gate alone if you're paying guys (or even if you're not, as shown by the struggles of many semi-pro teams).

Also, don't underestimate the lack of appetite for small-time teams/leagues in a sport where teams from Gainesville, Fla., Lincoln, Neb., and South Bend, Ind. play in front of huge crowds on national TV.

EDIT: The one exception to the idea of outdoor pro football not being able to survive on gate alone would be the NFL (or any league at the top flight). While it wouldn't be as big as it is now, top level outdoor football could survive on a gate-centric revenue stream (like that of the NHL).
Last edited by Cleveland Fan on Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

4th&long
Site Admin

Post by 4th&long » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:08 pm

[quote=""Cleveland Fan""]Makes sense. Too expensive for too few games to make it on the gate alone if you're paying guys (or even if you're not, as shown by the struggles of many semi-pro teams).

Also, don't underestimate the lack of appetite for small-time teams/leagues in a sport where teams from Gainesville, Fla., Lincoln, Neb., and South Bend, Ind. play in front of huge crowds on national TV.

EDIT: The one exception to the idea of outdoor pro football not being able to survive on gate alone would be the NFL (or any league at the top flight). While it wouldn't be as big as it is now, top level outdoor football could survive on a gate-centric revenue stream (like that of the NHL).[/quote]

It is why tv is integral to long term success. And FB can deliver the necessary numbers.
Last edited by 4th&long on Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:35 am

[quote=""Andy J""]I think Portland has it's own sports identity . I don't see how they could claim the Ducks or OSU.
[/quote]

Let's see, the state's flagship university and land grant college. Are you saying that nobody from the Portland metropolis goes to U of O or OSU? Are you saying that the radio traffic reports for I-5 between Portland and Eugene on game weekends are an auditory illusion in my mind? Are you saying that the traffic I've driven to get there (so much so that, on our last visit, we stayed Friday night south of Eugene) is also a hallucination?

Wow.

I will also put it this way. I have not dramatized this for you enough. Your statement is about as ignorant as it gets when it comes to the assessments I've seen on this site. You're lucky I'm in a sober mood, but that completely missed the side of the airplane hangar you're standing 4 feet from... metaphorically speaking, of course.

I realize you have to engage in a bit of wishful thinking to imagine the league you want to see come into being. I can't blame you for that, but the job is done better when paired with realistic assessments.

I also agree that Portland has a bit of its own sports identity... but there's a reason Nike HQs are just over the West Hills in Beaverton and there's a reason Oregon (and even OSU) model Nike to the hilt.
Mean Spirited Blogger #107

Andy J
Site Admin

Post by Andy J » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:56 am

[quote=""4th&long""]It is why tv is integral to long term success. And FB can deliver the necessary numbers.[/quote] TV in the long term and deep pockets in the short.
AndyG

Andy J
Site Admin

Post by Andy J » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:23 am

[quote=""Pounder""]Let's see, the state's flagship university and land grant college. Are you saying that nobody from the Portland metropolis goes to U of O or OSU? Are you saying that the radio traffic reports for I-5 between Portland and Eugene on game weekends are an auditory illusion in my mind? Are you saying that the traffic I've driven to get there (so much so that, on our last visit, we stayed Friday night south of Eugene) is also a hallucination?

Wow.[/quote]

No , that's not what I meant we have the same situation in San Antonio with UT and yes it does cause traffic problems on I-35 and we do have UTSA that does draw 25k a game, But is it overwhelming the answer is no. Just like I'm sure It's not in Portland.
AndyG

Andy J
Site Admin

Post by Andy J » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:30 am

[quote=""Pounder""]

I will also put it this way. I have not dramatized this for you enough. Your statement is about as ignorant as it gets when it comes to the assessments I've seen on this site. You're lucky I'm in a sober mood, but that completely missed the side of the airplane hangar you're standing 4 feet from... metaphorically speaking, of course.

I realize you have to engage in a bit of wishful thinking to imagine the league you want to see come into being. I can't blame you for that, but the job is done better when paired with realistic assessments..[/quote]

You can call me ignorant ,but your over pessimism clouds your vision. And besides your arrogance takes over because I guess you feel you need to enlighten us "ignorant' ones. There is no wishful thinking here and you have not cornered the market on realistic assessments.
Last edited by Andy J on Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
AndyG

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:27 pm

He's not overly pessimistic. The reality is that starting a new league is a very difficult, expensive proposition which few can realistically even consider. That's where this discussion has to start. Expect a healthy dose of skepticism when it comes to discussing the possibilities for a new league simply because of the difficulty involved and the tombstones of the dead leagues which have tried. It simply isn't as simple as grabbing even a small piece of this big revenue/ratings pie which the NFL and college football have grown for decades.

Return to “UFL”