Why not be smart and move to SPRING?

The United Football League (UFL) forum
NTE
Site Admin

Why not be smart and move to SPRING?

Post by NTE » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:35 pm

Become like a modern USFL, except without Trump to screw it up. Then you could even expand into NFL cities and not really have to compete with the NFL. You could even be their farm system.

logoguru
Site Admin

Post by logoguru » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:14 pm

We've argued and argued this to death.
I think their argument is that Spring football has never succeeded. Look at the success of Fall football!
Where as we say the WLAF wasn't given the chance to succeed.

It's kind of not worth even talking about anymore. Most people are on one side or the other and aren't going to change their opinion - much like the UFL.

As for the "farm system" it is what they're doing now. They are charging the NFL to buy out contracts to fill roster spots DURING the fall. Which they must feel is a money maker.

NTE
Site Admin

Post by NTE » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:47 pm

I still think the old USFL would have lasted if they had stayed in the spring. I remember being a big fan and watching games every week and even attending a few. Thing is, I hate baseball, I mean HATE IT!!!! I last watched a game on TV in 1992, I watch Arena Football whenever I can, I can't be the only one that wants football 12 months/year?

Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:55 pm

[quote=""NTE""]I still think the old USFL would have lasted if they had stayed in the spring.[/quote]

Did you see how they barely limped to the finish line of their 1985 season? Read The $1 League if you didn't see it. They were bleeding to death in the spring.
I remember being a big fan and watching games every week and even attending a few.
As did many people, myself included. That doesn't mean it would be smart business for the UFL to move to the spring.
Thing is, I hate baseball, I mean HATE IT!!!! I last watched a game on TV in 1992, I watch Arena Football whenever I can, I can't be the only one that wants football 12 months/year?
I'm sure there are people just like you. There simply aren't enough of them - nor enough interested TV outlets - to make an alternate professional football league (spring or fall) financially viable. There just aren't. It's not happening.
Old enough to remember when bashing the ABA was fun.

NTE
Site Admin

Post by NTE » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:56 pm

SO soccer is more popular in America than American Football? There are two 24 hour soccer channels on my cable lineup I can watch a soccer GAME 24/7/365 if I want to. And only the NFL Network and in the Spring it's all talk shows and rehashed NFL Films garbage, outside a weekly AFL game. I can't believe that a network that would broadcast Football GAMES every day couldn't work? Maybe I'm the oddball, but I'd rather watch an SIFL or IFL or UFL or AIFA GAME rather than watch Rich Eisen and Warren Sapp sitting at a table talking about Brett Favre's riding mower.

Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:14 pm

[quote=""NTE""]SO soccer is more popular in America than American Football? [/quote]

Nope. Who said that? It's not.

But MLS just announced a $12M a year deal with NBC/Versus today. Comcast/NBC would rather pay $12M a year for MLS than pay anything for the UFL, which only means MLS - which has been around since 1996 and is expanding and not worrying about folding - is a better bet than the UFL.
There are two 24 hour soccer channels on my cable lineup I can watch a soccer GAME 24/7/365 if I want to. And only the NFL Network and in the Spring it's all talk shows and rehashed NFL Films garbage, outside a weekly AFL game. I can't believe that a network that would broadcast Football GAMES every day couldn't work?
You can't play football GAMES every day, Brainiac.
Maybe I'm the oddball, but I'd rather watch an SIFL or IFL or UFL or AIFA GAME rather than watch Rich Eisen and Warren Sapp sitting at a table talking about Brett Favre's riding mower.
Did you see how many people watched the NFL Network just during that week of free agency? That should answer your question right there. (Hint: About eleventykabillion times more people than would watch the S-I-Freaking-L.)

NTE
Site Admin

Post by NTE » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:17 pm

[quote=""Sam Hill""]Nope. Who said that? It's not.

But MLS just announced a $12M a year deal with NBC/Versus today. Comcast/NBC would rather pay $12M a year for MLS than pay anything for the UFL, which only means MLS - which has been around since 1996 and is expanding and not worrying about folding - is a better bet than the UFL.

You can't play football GAMES every day, Brainiac.

Did you see how many people watched the NFL Network just during that week of free agency? That should answer your question right there. (Hint: About eleventykabillion times more people than would watch the S-I-Freaking-L.)[/quote]

You're absolutely right! But I din't watch even a minute of that "talk show" stuff, I waited until GAME ACTION came on and watched then.

NTE
Site Admin

Post by NTE » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:18 pm

As for playing football every day, you don't need to, there are plenty of leagues to pull games from and broadcast and show old games, i'd love to watch old USFL or WFL or AFL games in their entirety, not knowing the outcome.

Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:52 am

[quote=""NTE""]You're absolutely right! But I din't watch even a minute of that "talk show" stuff, I waited until GAME ACTION came on and watched then.[/quote]

And yet...millions of people did. Which was my entire point. What you did was immaterial to the discussion.
As for playing football every day, you don't need to, there are plenty of leagues to pull games from and broadcast and show old games, i'd love to watch old USFL or WFL or AFL games in their entirety, not knowing the outcome.
"Plenty of leagues?"

Okay, smart guy...ABC/ESPN has the rights to the USFL games, so, good luck there. Very few (if any) WFL games survived. I don't know if you mean American Football League or Arena Football League, but whatever original AFL games survived, the NFL or the original network (ABC, at first, then NBC) would own the rights to, and they would hardly be broadcast quality now.

So what else? AAFC? No television. What else? What other league(s) could provide you with at least 365 games? What one?

The fact that YOU'D watch them is, again, immaterial. Broadcasters don't exist to give YOU something to watch. Not enough people WOULD watch to make it worthwhile.

Suggest you get DVDs and hole up in your house for a weekend. Because that's your only shot.

Alhammer
Site Admin

Post by Alhammer » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:08 am

Regardless, The USFL had better ratings all 3 years and better attendance. The UFL has some good ideas. but spring would help. fall is death bed

Return to “UFL”