UFL Season in jeopardy?

The United Football League (UFL) forum
coachingubigr
Site Admin

Post by coachingubigr » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:46 pm

You can stick a fork in the UFL because this league is done!!!

SignGuyDino
Site Admin

Post by SignGuyDino » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:52 pm

Can't wait for them to blame "the economy" like every other failed minor sports league and team does.

Can't possibly be because of a poorly-planned league with pastel uniforms and poor management. Nah, can't be that.
Never make anyone a priority that makes you an option.

south florida basketball
Site Admin

Post by south florida basketball » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:05 am

[quote=""Sam Hill""]Despite all evidence to the contrary. So you think there are five to seven people out there not only with the ability to own and operate individual UFL teams, but with the desire to do so? You assume they haven't been looking for additional investors for three years now? You think the only thing holding these transactions back, the only thing keeping them from happening "immediately" is an unwillingness on the part of the UFL? And - here's the big one - you think they'd immediately "survive and prosper?"

Even if they got five completely new, rich owners, they'd still have a product with a limited appeal to a limited amount of people and without a television contract that actually pays them money (something they're unlikely to get, given the amount of football available on TV), they're a money-losing proposition. A big, gaping, money hole. It's unfathomable to me that you could believe there's a simple fix to this.[/quote]

Your right and also wrong in the same breath. Yes they have been looking and found qualified owners but they wanted the owners under their terms and control.Pay $30 million and rget call the shots at the head office. Guys with serious intent and money want to own and operate their own team. Your also right that their is no guarantee on success. But make no mistake there are guys with serious money wanting to do football under the right conditions.

Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:22 am

Then let them start their own frigging league.

There's one level of money you need to maybe make an alternate non-competing league do better than the UFL has been doing. But if there are guys who think they can compete with the NFL? They don't have that kind of money. If they do, they didn't get it by being complete idiots.

We will not see an actual competitor league to the NFL get off the drawing board and onto the field in our lifetime. I'm certain of that.
Old enough to remember when bashing the ABA was fun.

robster2001
Site Admin

Post by robster2001 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:09 pm

The UFL can be compared to a poker player who shoves all-in a bit recklessly because he misread his opponent. The poker player is surprised when the opponent turns up pocket Aces, and the UFL is surprised when the NFL failed to shut down the 2011 season.

The most noble thing for Hugyhue to do is to call a press conference and tell the media the truth - they spent two years setting up a huge gamble on the possibility that the NFL would wipe out this season. Since it didn't happen, the UFL should do the right thing, release its players, and fold now so that players have a chance to latch on with NFL training camps. If they wait until mid-August, it'll be too late for most UFL players to find work in the NFL (if any of them could, anyway).

Sam's right, of course. This isn't 1960, where there were 8 major-league cities waiting for football. This isn't 1984, where ABC and ESPN were willing to gamble on spring football -- and that league folded as soon as serial bankrupter Donald Trump pushed the league into the fall.

There aren't enough unserved major-league cities, or enough available star players, to start a new fall professional league. Period. Full stop.

The AFL currently is trying to hang in as the spring niche league for rabid football fans. I'm not sure there's room there for another league.

So, basically, football is what it is. Dreamers with large sums of money are invited to write me a check instead of burning off their money trying to compete with the NFL. :)

Tommy T
Site Admin

Money Grabbers

Post by Tommy T » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:17 am

If it is not the NFL, NBA or MLB then it is minor league. Why do these owners think they can reap millions every game, when they can not. They rip off city's, players and most of all the fans. Get out of the huge stadiums and quit selling tickets for $25. Make the family plan a reality. The concessions are a joke unto themselves. A soda (small) $3.50 ARE YOU KiDDING ME? Bad economic times and money hungry owners are ripping off the one thing that can make them money...the fans. :eek: All I can say is for these owners is to quit it...stop....bring the game, yes- but quit trying to be something you are not. You just might make some money! Not Millions...but respectable..

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:06 pm

Football is expensive; it's very risky to start a new league, and there are no guarantees. As long as a league provides what it says it will provide and meets its obligations, I don't see why anyone should fault them for the attempt. Not sure you can slam the UFL owners after they lost $100 million in two years. Others have profited; the league owners have not.

newiflfan
Site Admin

Post by newiflfan » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:08 pm

[quote=""Tommy T""]If it is not the NFL, NBA or MLB then it is minor league. Why do these owners think they can reap millions every game, when they can not. They rip off city's, players and most of all the fans. Get out of the huge stadiums and quit selling tickets for $25. Make the family plan a reality. The concessions are a joke unto themselves. A soda (small) $3.50 ARE YOU KiDDING ME? Bad economic times and money hungry owners are ripping off the one thing that can make them money...the fans. :eek: All I can say is for these owners is to quit it...stop....bring the game, yes- but quit trying to be something you are not. You just might make some money! Not Millions...but respectable..[/quote]

In many instances, I don't think owners themselves set consession prices, dude.

Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:54 am

[quote=""Tommy T""]If it is not the NFL, NBA or MLB then it is minor league. Why do these owners think they can reap millions every game, when they can not. They rip off city's, players and most of all the fans. Get out of the huge stadiums and quit selling tickets for $25. Make the family plan a reality. The concessions are a joke unto themselves. A soda (small) $3.50 ARE YOU KiDDING ME? Bad economic times and money hungry owners are ripping off the one thing that can make them money...the fans. :eek: All I can say is for these owners is to quit it...stop....bring the game, yes- but quit trying to be something you are not. You just might make some money! Not Millions...but respectable..[/quote]

Wow. Simma down nah, Sparky.

You know how you save that money? Don't go. Don't buy it. There. Sorted.
Old enough to remember when bashing the ABA was fun.

CFL Video
Site Admin

Post by CFL Video » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:40 pm

I was listening to a radio talk show about the new USFL starting in 2012 and they mentioned they would gladly take any UFL teams that would want to join the New USFL league. If the UFL folds soon, They mentioned these UFL teams could keep there rosters and coaching staff for the New USFL.

Return to “UFL”