UFL Season in jeopardy?

The United Football League (UFL) forum
south florida basketball
Site Admin

Ufl

Post by south florida basketball » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:47 pm

I doubt that they will play one game ever again! The owners management made the two fundamental errors,

(1) They got greedy and turned away capable owners demanding big dollars and centralized control of the franchises. No significant owner wants to invest his cash and have a league office call the shots for his team.

(2) Each franchise must be owned and operated by a credible owner, single enitity deals never work very long.

They should immediately sell each franchise for nothing to credible owners who have the ability to own and operate the individual teams. If they do this the league survives and prospers if not they are toast.

south florida basketball
Site Admin

Post by south florida basketball » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:52 pm

Are you kidding? The UFL failure has nothing to do with the NFL, its all about the owners greed and league structure.

coachingubigr
Site Admin

Post by coachingubigr » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:12 pm

[quote=""preeths""]How desperate is the UFL? The commissioner admitted during a conference call that if the NFL lockout ends Thursday, he wants to be in the NFL offices Friday to discuss the NFL acquiring the UFL.[/quote]

dude is totally desperate..he knows the league is FUBAR

jwalters
Site Admin

Post by jwalters » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:17 pm

The UFL made multiple mistakes from the beginning.
1. No league vision: They didnt come out and say what they wanted to be. They pandered to the base a little by appearing to be alternative but the slogan signifies they were developmental. They also pander to the nfl all the time.
2. Wrong coaches and wrong players: They hired established NFL style coaches and recruited standard NFL players. They should have gone after coaches like Leach and Jenkins. The players were all worse versions of the cookie cutter nfl players. I like college football because every team plays differently.
3. Wrong season: There is already too much football in the fall. I do every thing I can yet I am incapable of watching all the games I want to. The UFL was pushed to the bottom of everyones list.
4. Wrong executives: These are all guys with major league backgrounds who didnt know that the league would actually need to advertise. The NFL doesnt actually advertise they have sponsors do that for them in a round-a-bout way.
5. Bad finances: Why does a UFL player, who couldnt make a roster in the NFL or CFL, deserve $5000 per game minimum? They should have paid them roughly what the modern Arena players make and they would have gotten the same players. For that matter they should have signed them up as Independent Contractors instead of employees because athletes are entertainers and not employees.

This league was a cluster from the get go. I am sad that there isnt another league but the UFL had no chance. I am glad it is gone and I hope it is forgotten. I really cant stand idiots like the UFL brass. People like them are the reason I quit working in minor league sports and I hate folks like that so much I might have to stop watching them too.

tops804
Site Admin

Post by tops804 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:53 pm

[quote=""preeths""]How desperate is the UFL? The commissioner admitted during a conference call that if the NFL lockout ends Thursday, he wants to be in the NFL offices Friday to discuss the NFL acquiring the UFL.[/quote]

A terrible admission that the league had no vision or leadership. What possibly could he think the NFL would see or want by acquiring the UFL?

It's like offering to sell bottled water to somebody standing in the middle of a flood.
Adios, OSC message boards. (2007-2017)

SignGuyDino
Site Admin

Post by SignGuyDino » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:56 pm

Huyghue made it clear that nobody is looking for the NFL to buy the UFL, but rather a partnership.

Investors want to know the true relationship between the two leagues, hence why some are hesitant on fully supporting the UFL. Nobody wants to make the NFL angry. A partnership between the two can open the doors for potential sponsors who have been on the fence about showing support for the league.

“Owners don’t want to get out of (the league),” Huyghue explained. “Just looking for some support.”

“This is the last year they’re doing it alone.” The commissioner said of the owners. “Whether that help be from the NFL or other investors.”
http://uflaccess.com/commisioner-huyghu ... h-the-nfl/

Sounds like double-talk to me. And there was a debate from the start with whether the UFL was trying to force a partial merger into the NFL (remember the claims of a team IN New York City and LA? How did that go?).

Look, the NFL doesn't care about the UFL or the UFL would be on NFL Network. The first thing they would want is the season completely gone this season, and a developmental league in the SPRING like I mentioned earlier. Too late already for 2012, would have to start 2013. Some venues in the UFL won't work since they're BASEBALL venues. I highly doubt the NFL would want the UFL brand to survive the way it is now. Even the logo was mocked on Deadspin ("clams," please don't make me explain).

And again, the NFL CAN'T do anything involving developmental leagues with the blessing of the NFLPA. They're not going to open up a 10-year CBA to amend it for this at this time.

IF the UFL plays this is it for them. The ways they failed to foresee any of these things is inexplicable.
Never make anyone a priority that makes you an option.

SignGuyDino
Site Admin

Post by SignGuyDino » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:28 pm

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... o-be-dead/

Supposedly one agent already declared the UFL dead.
Never make anyone a priority that makes you an option.

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:30 am

A pretty good summary of some of the points brought up during the media conference call:
http://www.courant.com/sports/football/ ... 3665.story

IndoorDan
Site Admin

A gamble

Post by IndoorDan » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:31 am

I just signed into this discussion late. Sorry if I'm preaching to the choir and discussing a topic that's been beat to death.

Here's what I see.

1. A league that was founded with the belief the NFL lockout would wash away a season or two. As a result fans hungry for football would look to the UFL and the sponsorship, media coverage other revenue sources would fall in to place.

And an even bigger gamble:

2. When the league did come back, they'd see how popular the league was and would snatch it up. (The AFL pre David Baker, Elway et al had similar delusions. Allegedly there was even logos and focus groups tackling the name NFL Indoor, but I don't know that for a fact)

The NFL is the NFL and doesn't need anyone.

tops804
Site Admin

Hate to disagree

Post by tops804 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:12 am

[quote=""IndoorDan""]I just signed into this discussion late. Sorry if I'm preaching to the choir and discussing a topic that's been beat to death.

Here's what I see.

1. A league that was founded with the belief the NFL lockout would wash away a season or two. As a result fans hungry for football would look to the UFL and the sponsorship, media coverage other revenue sources would fall in to place.[/quote]

Here's what I saw.

1. A league that was founded on the belief that NFL deprived cities would cling to a second tier option in the fall.

2. A league that believed it could get just enough of a following to be taken seriously by the big boys. (IE : Networks and media outlets)
And an even bigger gamble:
3. A league which had gotten way to confident when it signed a TV contract with a network, somewhat in its own transition, and aching for live sports.

4. A league that was taken in by the concept that the NFL really needs a minor league system and would invest in it, in order to create one.

5. ...and was humbled when the TV network baled leaving it with zero coverage.

6. ...and forgot to promote itself since day one, waiting for others to flock to the product.
The NFL is the NFL and doesn't need anyone.
So, so true.
Last edited by tops804 on Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Adios, OSC message boards. (2007-2017)

Return to “UFL”