Next UFL team

The United Football League (UFL) forum
Buffalo Super Fan
Site Admin

Post by Buffalo Super Fan » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:22 am

[quote=""SonicTemple""]The future of the UFL is going to be interesting as I think the league will blossom over the coming years but I hope that expansion is not too rapid as this can usually mean the kiss of death when league's spread themselves too thinly.

Adding Portland and Virginia (Norfolk) could well be good additions as well as Birmingham and Memphis or say strong college areas like Oklahoma, Texas and Missouri!

Check out: http://mathosfootballworld.webs.com[/quote]

I don't think the UFL expansion has been to rapid SonicTemple. The UFL started small and slowly are building towards what I believe is there goal of 8 to 12 teams which I think is a good number in my opinion for the UFL.

What is hurting is the economy to a degree with the UFL but not to the degree that Sam Hill goes on about on this UFL board so I disagree with him to a degree on the economy. If we use the economy is bad for everything as a crutch all the time nothing will get done and we can all sit around and cry all day about how bad we have it with the economy not for me in my opinion. No risk no reward that is the bottom line with the UFL.

If you believe in the UFL that it could someday be successful you will invest if you don't believe in the UFL you aren't going to invest in my opinion and the economy is going to have some to do with that so I agree with Sam Hill to a degree. But the risk is there no matter how the economy is doing. There is risk involved in new pro sports leagues in my opinion. Let's Go Buffalo
The above post is in my opinion and I have no proof or link. I am just a Buffalo sports fan.

SonicTemple
Site Admin

Post by SonicTemple » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:47 am

[quote=""BreakersFan""]I could be wrong, but aside from Los Angeles, isn't San Antonio the largest TV market without an NFL team? And the Alamodome sits empty except for Spurs games.[/quote]

I agree with BreakersFan although there are issues with the Alamodome due to Texas-San Antonio Roadrunners games during the same time as UFL...wonder how long it'll take until we get news of the remaining teams although glad that Virginia is getting a look in for pro football!

Check out: http://mathosfootballworld.webs.com

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:33 am

So the supposed September 9 date I thought I saw was actually the 16th.

Also, of course, there was no announcement on the 16th.

Based on the people pushing the message in the first place obviously not being the people laying the money down, the UFL hasn't found an owner. Of course, Portland has this semi-recent history of out-of-town ownership for virtually everything. My message- don't hold your breath.
Mean Spirited Blogger #107

Buffal00 Sports Fan
Site Admin

Post by Buffal00 Sports Fan » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:19 pm

I hope the UFL comes to Buffalo cuz I think the Buffalo Bills are bolting town soon or atleast thats the buzz around these parts.

Buffalo Super Fan
Site Admin

Post by Buffalo Super Fan » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:26 am

[quote=""Buffal00 Sports Fan""]I hope the UFL comes to Buffalo cuz I think the Buffalo Bills are bolting town soon or atleast thats the buzz around these parts.[/quote]

I agree it doesn't look good after "Dollar Ralph" Ralph Wilson passes he ran the team into the ground for over a decade which as a Buffalo Bills fan is sad. Hopefully Buffalo gets some kind of minor league football to replace the Buffalo Bills after Ralph Wilson's estate sells the Buffalo Bills. We will see what happens with the Buffalo professional football market if the Buffalo Bills leave Buffalo.

But I wouldn't count on the UFL going to Buffalo in my opinion from reading there UFL boards over there. There interested in up and coming US markets they think Memphis and Birmingham suck so I doubt they be doing backflips for Buffalo at UFL access boards. The UFL would have to change there looking at just the economics for teams in markets if they choose Buffalo.

I also have doubts someone in Buffalo would even come up with $30 million dollars for a UFL team plus expenses in a dicey UFL league. I think realistically Buffalo maybe getting in the AFL1 with Buffalo Sabres ownership backing like the Buffalo Bandits NLL is a more realistic possibility for Buffalo in my opinion at HSBC Arena where the Buffalo Sabres control the rent and cost plus they have a season ticket list and base to market to with a huge marketing machine already in place but who knows.

The only one I could see buying a UFL team in Buffalo would be Bob Rich to play at Coke Cola Field. Ralph Wilson Stadium is too big for UFL in my opinion. But I wonder if Bob Rich would pay $30 million for only half 50% of a team. The UFL would own the other half 50% that doesn't sound like Bob Rich's style to me but who knows? Plus the UFL is so so at best investment wise so far.

CFL could be another option for Buffalo and that sounds more like Bob Riches style because he could own 100% of the Buffalo CFL team and play at Coke Cola Field during the late summer and fall. Travel would be cheaper with teams in Hamilton, Toronto and Ottawa that you can bus too. The CFL is more solid finacially and has more tradition. I think if Buffalo ever gets a outdoor stadium football team again the CFL would be the choice over the UFL but that is just my opinion.

I am just trying to think of something that will work because minor league sports you need committed owners and owners that have control of rent the Buffalo Sabres have that with the NLL Buffalo Bandits so if they owned a Arena Football team it would work with no Buffalo Bills in my opinion where with the Buffalo Destroyers AFL the first time they sucked but also Buffalo still had the Buffalo Bills and rent was high for Mark Hammister at HSBC Arena that is why the Buffalo Sabres need to be the owners for it to work in my opinion.

The expansion fee for the Arena League would be alot cheaper then the UFL so would the player salaries and the time of year spring/summer would be better so your not going up against NFL and College Football in Buffalo. Because even with the Buffalo Bills gone I still think Buffalo will follow the NFL on tv because of gambling we will see what happens. Let's Go Buffalo
The above post is in my opinion and I have no proof or link. I am just a Buffalo sports fan.

Buffal00 Sports Fan
Site Admin

Post by Buffal00 Sports Fan » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:16 pm

Is it possible to put a CFL team in America? That would be so cool. I think they could stay in the same stadium as Buffalo Bills granted the Bills bolt town.

Buffalo Super Fan
Site Admin

Post by Buffalo Super Fan » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:06 pm

[quote=""Buffal00 Sports Fan""]Is it possible to put a CFL team in America? That would be so cool. I think they could stay in the same stadium as Buffalo Bills granted the Bills bolt town.[/quote]

Yes it is possible. The first CFL USA Expansion was a failed one as we all know outside of the Baltimore Stallions who won a Grey Cup. In my opinion in Buffalo CFL doesn't get talked about as a possiblity to replace the Buffalo Bills enough if the Buffalo Bills leave town. Most Buffalo media people just think UB will go BCS FBS bigtime football will just take the Buffalo Bills place. But that is alot easier said then done in my opinion.

I have been a UB Bulls season ticketholder since 1994 so I am a huge UB Bulls fan even through I never went to school at UB I went to Canisius College. The problem with the UB bigtime BCS FBS bigtime football point I am talking LSU type of program we are presently FBS MAC to replace the Buffalo Bills thing is that UB doesn't have much history to get alums to give $$$ money like a Texas or a USC or even a Florida. Also look at the schools I mentioned there in warm weather recruiting hot beds for football. Buffalo isn't a recruiting hot bed for football that is a problem ask the Syracuse Orange football team. Plus your dealing with something like the Big East Conference that are basketball schools.

Buffalo doesn't support college basketball in those type of numbers. Buffalo Bandits NLL lacrosse outdraws on a per game basis Bandits/Bulls the percentage margin is 8 to 1 per game in favor of the Buffalo Bandits over the UB Bulls in basketball. In football the Bulls and Bandits are about even give or take a few fans. I realize where talking MAC and also the Buffalo Bills are still here so that could change the way Buffalo looks at UB but I have my doubts. Were not a college sports town were a professional sports town. The Buffalo Bandits draw presently per game 16,000 plus with UB Bulls basketball lucky if they draw 2,000 plus a night. I go to both teams I see with my own two eyes.

I think it would be a problem like in Hartford with the Hartford Whalers NHL hockey and UConn Huskies Big East basketball with UConn winning the battle. Meaning sports fans here there may not be enough disposable income to support Buffalo Sabres NHL hockey and Buffalo Bulls Big East football/basketball on a consistant basis going at the same time of year like I think was part of the case with Hartford Whalers and UConn Huskies. Uconn basketball started getting really good where Hartford Whalers hockey was so so to be nice. The difference is in Buffalo I think the Buffalo Sabres could figure skate nightly like disney on ice and Buffalo Sabres fans will still go in my opinion. Buffalo is a stronger hockey market where in Hartford I think they were a stronger basketball market.

UB basketball in my opinion would most likely never win the battle against the Buffalo Sabres NHL because hockey is to much apart of our culture in Buffalo, New York more so then in Hartford, Connecticut in my opinion. I am old enough to remember the Buffalo Braves NBA team I was in there Junior Braves club as a kid and everything. If the Buffalo Braves NBA couldn't win that battle or atleast make a dent into the market against the Buffalo Sabres NHL what makes us so sure UB can break through there see that is the questions I would ask our Buffalo media?

Our Buffalo media are young or from other parts of the US today and don't go back with Buffalo and our sports history like I do. Plus Buffalo when we had the Buffalo Braves NBA was alot larger city then it is now.

Also Hartford hockey fans don't get mad at me because I fully support Hartford what is going on trying to bring NHL back to Hartford with the Connecticut Whale AHL and Howard Baldwin. I am only using Hartford as a reference point to support my post about my city of Buffalo, New York.

Plus your dealing with alot of money having to come from the state of New York. I just don't see New York State with not much of a history in college football helping fund not a one time thing but yearly thing a big time football program at UB. UB in the MAC in my opinion is as high as New York State and the UB student fees are going to go for football I hope I am wrong but I will stay with that opinion until proven other wise.

It is much cheaper on the taxpayers and the state of New York to let a private owner take over whatever we call Ralph Wilson Stadium after "Dollar Ralph" Ralph Wilson passes for no rent aka the Rich family with Coke Cola Field with the Buffalo Bisons IL baseball. So in my opinion yes I think the CFL is a better possiblity then the UFL at this point for Buffalo.

I think the CFL would be interested in Buffalo because we are a boarder city. New York State and Erie County would have to take out some of the lower endzone seats on each endzone to accommadate the larger 110 yard CFL field but that is peanuts $$$ money wise compared to funding a Texas Longhorns type program at UB yearly for the state of New York and Erie County. I don't see that for UB even through it would be nice. Does anybody see the state of New York giving money for a UB sports tv network like the Texas Longhorns are starting no way I see that for UB Bulls sports ever. Believe me taking out the two endzones will look good and cheap for the state of New York to allow for Buffalo in my opinion.

The chances for either CFL, UFL or Arena League team to replace the Buffalo Bills if it is needed is greater of happening then UB going BCS FBS bigtime football with New York State funding it yearly that isn't happening in my opinion and I follow New York State politics also. I see the state of New York and the county of Erie letting a private owner having full control of the Bills Stadium as long as the private owner cares for the Bills stadium him or her self like the deal the Rich Family has with the Buffalo Bisons at Coke Cola Field.

I think these things don't get discussed because one we don't definately know what will happen to the Buffalo Bills. But if they move think about it Buffalo draws 16,000 per game for Buffalo Bandits NLL lacrosse game the CFL will want the Buffalo football market if there is a owner interested in placing a team in Buffalo then I think the CFL at the very least would atleast think about it.

As for the Buffalo pro football fans after the shock of the NFL leaving Buffalo getting passed that I think Buffalo pro football fans will want to enjoy live football again and have fun with other Buffalo pro football fans supporting the best we can a new pro football team for Buffalo. It won't be NFL and it won't be every old Bufffalo Bills fan because some will either never accept anything but the NFL meaning thumbing there noses at lesser then the NFL football and some just won't go because of the drive for a minor league type team aka the Buffalo_____whatever the nickname won't most likely get Buffalo fans from out of state driving in for games like now or the Rochester and Southen Ontario markets in as great of numbers. So whatever league were in we won't get 73,000 a game anymore.

If we draw 25,000 to 30,000 in Buffalo for CFL or UFL we would be accomplishing something in my opinion. Someone will come in my opinion if Omaha, Hartford and Las Vegas have professional football no offense to them but Buffalo one would think will land some where. Because at the end of the day all "Dollar Ralph" Ralph Wilson Buffalo Bills owner was in 1960 was a investor taking a chance in Buffalo with the old American Football League. No matter what some think Buffalo helped make "Dollar Ralph" the AFL was a two bit league in 1960 that Buffalo sports fans got behind.

I am not saying that can ever happen again but what I am saying is Buffalo football fans will move onto some other Buffalo professional football team if a investor takes a chace on Buffalo like "Dollar Ralph". "Dollar Ralph" isn't special and didn't proform a mircle in Buffalo. Buffalo help make him alot of money because we liked and supported professional football in the early days of the AFL. If Buffalo didn't go to games in the early days of the AFL there might not be a Buffalo Bills NFL with "Dollar Bill" sucking on NFL tv revenue sharing getting richer.

More power to "Dollar Ralph" he took the risk and was reward but Buffalo played a part in making of the Buffalo Bills in my opinion. It happened once I say go for it again make the Buffalo_______whatever the best it can be in the CFL or UFL or whatever league if the Buffalo Bills do leave Buffalo. I am not as a Buffalo Bills fan going to cry or be upset by a business deccission if the Buffalo Bills leave because of crazy made up rules and greed. Crazy made up rules no reason in my opinion that Buffalo shouldn't be like Green Bay that is a crazy made up rule and I don't care who came up with it from the NFL cartel it is a bad crazy rule in my opinion. Buffalo can be Green Bay if it wasn't for that rule. And spare me Green Bay is special junk. Let's see if Green Bay would put up with the junk going on in Buffalo. It is easy going to games in Green Bay knowing there never moving and the profits are being spent for the right things and reasons.

The Buffalo Bills are in two markets one major in Toronto with a bad owner "Dollar Ralph" keeping the profits for his own greed in my opinion. Green Bay doesn't have to wake up every sunday thinking is my NFL football team going to here in three years after the rebuilding going on with our football team? The Green Bay Packers is the safest team in all of professional sports from ever being move. I know life is unfair I get it but I still am entitled to my opinion it is a crazy rule made up rule. Whatever new league that will be we will just have to wait and see but they will be getting a good football market. Let's Go Buffalo
Last edited by Buffalo Super Fan on Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gene Duryea
Site Admin

Post by Gene Duryea » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:42 pm

With Green Bay holding the NFL franchise ... I think Milwaukee would be perfect for the UFL

Return to “UFL”