Site Admin

Welcome Detroit Dragons

Post by BreakersFan » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:46 pm

http://www.detroitdragons.com

This team may actually make it.....

patmc16
Site Admin

Post by patmc16 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:39 pm

From what I have heard, this team does not have a lease with the arena. GLSC (the arena) claims to know nothing about them even though it is listed as their home on the team website. GLSC has a pay-then-play policy. Until they have paid the arena for at least their first game and/or have a lease in hand, this team is no more likely to play there than the Detroit Pounders were last year. They had announced GLSC as their home too but never paid for the ice so they had to go to another rink with no such policy. They played 1 game there before folding.

I'm not saying it won't happen. I actually hope it does. If they can not / do not pay the arena in advance, it definately won't happen.
Former Motor City Mechanics & Macomb County Mustangs season ticket holder.

"I like you. When the world is mine your death shall be quick and painless."
- Stewie Griffin

davyd83
Site Admin

Dragons

Post by davyd83 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:44 pm

June 15. No owner. No GM. No Sales Manager. No Coach. No lease. Wow, they are off to a great start. So far the only eviedence of their existence is a blurb on a website. When you consider that the Motor City Mechanics had trouble averaging 2000 fans a game when playing NHL players during the lockout and getting tons of free publicity from it, how do you think they'll do with glorified beer leaguers?
Last edited by davyd83 on Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tops804
Site Admin

Post by tops804 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:10 am

[quote=""BreakersFan""]

This team may actually make it.....[/quote]

Here lies the problem: Currently, the MAHL possesses seven teams.

Four of which are owned by league president Andrew Haines.
Chelsea, Detroit, South Shore, and Lake Erie.

History tells us that these team's are bait in which Haines will hope to
build value in, and sell. Should they begin to fail, one by one expect
them to fold, move, or become travel teams. If money becomes an issue
during the season. The other three owners will be thrown under the bus.

Another note:
http://www.mahlhockey.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=296&Itemid=62
MAHL Spring Meeting Review

The MAHL is finalizing the addition of two new teams and will announce the locations within the next month. The deadline for announcing the MAHL’s schedule for the second season is June 16th.
Last edited by tops804 on Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adios, OSC message boards. (2007-2017)

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:39 am

The rink shown on the web site ain't exactly say pro. Says more pee wee. Reminds me a little of the Ohio State ice rink before the Buckeyes moved into the Value City Arena.

patmc16
Site Admin

Post by patmc16 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:38 pm

[quote=""nksports""]The rink shown on the web site ain't exactly say pro. Says more pee wee.[/quote]

The rink shown on the web site is not GLSC, it is Chelsea's rink. GLSC Superior is not the best arena in the world but it is better than that. If this happens, it will probably be the best arena in the league. That is assuming they play in the Superior rink. The are actually 5 ice surfaces in GLSC, each named after one of the Great Lakes. The others look more like the Chelsea rink. They could play on one of those.

Here is a link to GLSC's website:

http://glsportscity.com/index.html

The only photo showing inside the Superior rink at all is in the Blue Line Club link. The place is still painted for the Mechanics.

On another note, I wonder how the Red Wings would feel about them using a photo of Joe Louis Arena at the top of the home page? JLA is the gray building in the lower left of the picture. That wasn't done by mistake. That picture has been photo shopped. That is not the correct layout of the Detroit waterfront.

- Stewie Griffin

patmc16
Site Admin

Post by patmc16 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:50 pm

MAHL Website wrote:The Detroit Dragons will play in the Great Lakes Sports City arena in Fraser, Michigan. Great Lakes Sports City boasts a 3500 seating capacity with luxury boxes.
Just saw this on the league website. They are in fact describing the Superior rink. The 3500 capacity was with the bleachers that the Mechanics installed. Most of them have since been removed. Capacity is probably more like 3k.

Also noticed they show the Chelsea rink on the announcement about Detroit on the league website too. Has anyone from the league actually even been to GLSC? Couldn't they have snapped a picture for the website?

- Stewie Griffin

tops804
Site Admin

Maybe in spirit...

Post by tops804 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:10 pm

[quote=""BreakersFan""]http://www.detroitdragons.com

This team may actually make it.....[/quote]

MWHL/AAHA's Motor City Gamblers just became the Detroit Dragons. That
makes 3 of 4 (5 if you count the Crusaders) AAHA teams that carry MAHL
names and logos...

Geoff
Site Admin

Post by Geoff » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:49 pm

They always were the Dragons ... sorta. The owners of the Gamblers were the owners of the Dragons the whole time and thus why the Gamblers were kicked out of the MWHL.

tops804
Site Admin

The Dragon isn't Dragon anymore...

Post by tops804 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:16 am

I know this is an MAHL thread...

But I guess this marks another end to another MAHL entity.

http://www.theaaha.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=71:aaharesolution&catid=35 :p ressreleases
AAHA Announces Resolution And Further Developments

Officials from the All American Hockey Association and its member teams met at length this morning to discuss a number of issues. The main topic of discussion was the current financial situation with the Detroit Dragons.

Over the past few weeks the AAHA has worked diligently to try to resolve the problems that have plagued the Dragons franchise. After the AAHA became aware of the fact that the Dragons ownership had failed to meet its financial responsibilities, the ownership group, M & M Holding Unlimited LLC, was officially voted out of the Association on Monday. This decision came less then a week after the Dragons had forfeited control over their franchise to the AAHA.

Several other potential ownership groups had been contacted and discussions have been ongoing for the last couple of weeks. The potential ownership groups formally decided not to proceed over the weekend, citing the existing debt that the franchise, as well as the lack of revenue potential, as the reasons for declining the take over of the franchise. Over the last couple of weeks, the other teams in the AAHA have attempted to assist the Dragons by offering financial support, but the debt could not be resolved.

The Association has worked non stop in an attempt to keep the Dragons in the Detroit area. “The AAHA has nothing but respect for the Dragons players and coaching staff, as well as the owners and operators of the GLSC”, said Evansville IceMen General Manager Chip Rossetti. “The players and staff should be commended for their dedication and effort this season, despite the plight that they have had to endure. The Dragons fans have been passionate and supportive through all of this. I wish there had been a way to give them what they deserve and provide them with a chance to keep playing up there.” The Dragons players were entered into a dispersal draft Monday morning. More information will be released on the results of the draft soon.

Due to the developments with the Dragons franchise, the AAHA has decided to announce the approval and early entrance of the Chicago Blaze. The Blaze, owned by Aaron Mattey, was slated to begin play in the 2009-2010 AAHA season, but have agreed to enter early to finish out the Dragons road schedule.

The Chicago Blaze will be playing their home games, during the 2009-2010 season, in the West Meadows Ice Arena in Rolling Meadows, Illinois. Rolling Meadows is a suburb of Chicago, approximately 20 miles west of downtown.

“The Chicago market is one that we have been looking at for some time,” Rossetti said. “The Blaze organization was ready to start next season, but have agreed to step up and help us out this season. They are going to be a great rival for the Shooters, being just under 70 miles from Dyer, so we are excited to be moving forward with them.”

The AAHA is saddened by the loss of the Detroit market, however it will not look at this lost opportunity as something that would deter the Association of approving another Detroit franchise in the future.

Return to “MAHL”