Good for Jamestown...Bad for Northern Ohio.

The Mid-Atlantic Hockey League (MAHL) forum
tops804
Site Admin

Good for Jamestown...Bad for Northern Ohio.

Post by tops804 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:36 pm

//www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=3607113

Northeast Ohio ice rinks...Please read Haines track record before signing a lease.
MAHL Vikings Relocating For 2008/2009 Season

March 18, 2008 - The Mid-Atlantic Hockey League (MAHL) announced that the Jamestown VIkings (Jamestown, NY) will relocate for their 2nd Season starting in the fall 2008.
The team will now be known as the Lake Erie Vikings and will return to Ohio for the upcoming season.

League President Andrew Haines & League Director of Operations Larry Debnar will announce the new home arena of the Vikings next week.

"With the recent events in Jamestown and the non responsive arena management it was necessary for us to take steps to ensure the success of the team, and league." Stated MAHL Director of Operations Larry Dednar.

For more information on the Lake Erie Vikings, visit http://www.lakeerievikings.com (coming soon).

The MAHL will be announcing other expansion teams starting next week. For more information about the Mid-Atlantic Hockey League visit http://www.mahlhockey.com or call (88 8) 399-0347.
Adios, OSC message boards. (2007-2017)

AHLFAN
Site Admin

Post by AHLFAN » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:05 am

Did anyone expect anything else. I read somewhere the MAHL lost the lease to the Jamestown Arena. Besides anyone in their right mind wouldn't want Haines doing business in there arena.

tops804
Site Admin

Post by tops804 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:15 pm

MAHL officials said Tuesday the former Jamestown team will now be known as the Lake Erie Vikings. They also indicated the Jamestown Savings Bank Ice Arena, which hosted the Vikings, was to blame for the team’s departure.
MAHLSPIN....Play Victim, when all that this really says is that Jamestown Arena had enough sense to get
out with limited damage.
Tuesday’s announcement regarding the newly named Lake Erie Vikings coincided with a news conference that will take place at 11 a.m. today at the ice arena. Ferguson held back most of the details, though he said it involves the future of hockey in Jamestown.
As I titled this post: Good for Jamestown...

Anyone else sense the Valley Forge ownership getting together with Jamestown
Arena to start a new league??? :)

AHLFAN
Site Admin

Post by AHLFAN » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:42 pm

The owner of the Valley Forge Freedom is planning to put a franchise in Danbury, Ct. He has is also planning his own league, the EPHL. I know there is a franchise also somewhere in New Jersey. I bet you can hear from the MAHL that the Freedom are relocating.

http://www.geec.net/EPHLWEBsite/tabid/86/Default.aspx

tops804
Site Admin

Post by tops804 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:50 pm

Thanks for the link, AHLFAN.

The Vikings "moved" mostly because Haines owns them. Valley Forge had
solid ownership (Not with initals A.H.). I would say the franchise name is
pretty much dead in MAHL land. It probably has no real value to Haines,
since it was purchased from him and he's already cashed the check.

BreakersFan
Site Admin

Post by BreakersFan » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:26 pm

I wonder what the Lake Erie Monsters will think of this.......

rams80
Site Admin

Post by rams80 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:45 pm

The Cease and Desist letter is probably in the mail as we speak.
Mean Spirited Blogger #24601

Accused of being a Cyber Terrorist by Joe Newman.

This league (NIFL) is like a frickin' cockroach. You could throw a nuclear bomb at it and it would still survive
-tony-o

So I'd rather spend a quarter of an ABA franchise to repair my car, as opposed to spending a franchise and a half to get a new car that might have some planned obsolescence that causes it to break down 5 days after the end of the warranty period.
-Chuck the Writer

tops804
Site Admin

Post by tops804 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:49 pm

[quote=""BreakersFan""]I wonder what the Lake Erie Monsters will think of this.......[/quote]

...or Cleveland State Vikings???

I believe, or better yet hope that this team is pushed further South into
Summit/Wayne County.

tops804
Site Admin

Here is the positive piece of the puzzle...

Post by tops804 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:35 pm

From Jamestown Savings Bank Ice Arena web site
http://www.jamestownsavingsbankicearena.com/home.html
JUNIOR "A" HOCKEY

COMING TO J-TOWN!

Arena GM, Mike Ferguson along with Team President & Owner, Barry Soskin & Director of Hockey Operations, Dennis Canfield have announced the development of Jamestown Junior Hockey, Inc.

Play will begin with Training Camp in August with games starting in September. The team is looking for Host Families that are willing to house players ages 16-20 that will be wearing the Jamestown colors on their quest for college scholarships and professional futures.

A name the team contest will hit the streets next week.

BreakersFan
Site Admin

Post by BreakersFan » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:30 am

Wow - kind of surprised it wasn't the EPHL.....

Return to “MAHL”