Just what leagues has Haines been involved with?

The Mid-Atlantic Hockey League (MAHL) forum
joe01369
Site Admin

Just what leagues has Haines been involved with?

Post by joe01369 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:43 pm

I am interested to learn about Mr. Haines. What leagues and teams has he been involved with in the past, and how have they failed? Did the players and bills get paid? Are arena owners aware of this information? Lets examine what really happened and see if those same "paths" are being taken now.

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:18 pm

He started the American Indoor Football League after taking over and shutting down an NIFL franchise. Basically, same MO as the MAHL, only he got a little farther. Start a group of teams, sell off those you can for whatever you can get and call an early end to your season. Lots of unpaid bills from what I've heard. Relaunch year two with a bunch of expansion teams, many poorly funded, watch as they stop playing, then get kicked out of your own league in a bloodless coup.

joe01369
Site Admin

so this is a real pattern

Post by joe01369 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:07 pm

i ask because in order to effect change we need to establish a pattern. once the pattern is clear investors and others know what to look for. playing devils advocate, what if things actually work out? they did play a number of games. i am concerned because i have heard the mahl plans on coming to michigan, and i dont want to see a fiasco. however i also dont want to see something with a legitimate shot of working not get off the ground. so if haines got taken out of the picture in the other league, did it work after that?

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:58 pm

[quote=""joe01369""]i ask because in order to effect change we need to establish a pattern. once the pattern is clear investors and others know what to look for. playing devils advocate, what if things actually work out? they did play a number of games. i am concerned because i have heard the mahl plans on coming to michigan, and i dont want to see a fiasco. however i also dont want to see something with a legitimate shot of working not get off the ground. so if haines got taken out of the picture in the other league, did it work after that?[/quote]

For legal reasons (to avoid getting caught up in a very hefty judgment the remaining owners didn't want a part of), the AIFL reorganized as the AIFA. The league has some success and some weak spots, so the jury is still out in terms of long-term survival.

tops804
Site Admin

Post by tops804 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:01 pm

[quote=""joe01369""]i ask because in order to effect change we need to establish a pattern. once the pattern is clear investors and others know what to look for. playing devils advocate, what if things actually work out? they did play a number of games. i am concerned because i have heard the mahl plans on coming to michigan, and i dont want to see a fiasco. however i also dont want to see something with a legitimate shot of working not get off the ground. so if haines got taken out of the picture in the other league, did it work after that?[/quote]

I am a believer that this league got as far as it did because Jim Riggs was
behind it as well. Haines really buried the AIFL in 2006 when he over-
expanded only to see those teams folding during the season. I get the
impression that the MAHL was on "life-support" since day one.

The All-Star game was a ruse, as well as the seasons death blow. I have got
to believe that the mood "behind the scenes" that night...Wasn't very good.
I wonder if Haines thought he could tout new investors. (One born every minute...)

joe01369 -- If you get a team in Michigan...I would count on seeing a fiasco.
Adios, OSC message boards. (2007-2017)

SignGuyDino
Site Admin

Post by SignGuyDino » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:26 pm

Here are some other leagues Haines ruined:

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

Action League Now

American League

National Urban League

Little League

League of Nations

Human League

and the Idaho Conservation League.

And DON'T get me started on Andrew Haines....
Never make anyone a priority that makes you an option.

joe01369
Site Admin

too funny dino

Post by joe01369 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:42 am

ok, so haines basically goes and sets up a league, gets it rolling so people can see "something". once they see "something" he gets them to invest in a "franchise", then he bolts on them after giving them unreasonable expectations with budgets and make believe profits? have i got it so far? now, i have also heard of a new league that may happen that charges no up front franchise fees so that the owners can use that money to operate (no other info yet). lets face it people like this are only trying to make money on franchises and dont give a @#$&* about the game or the product. any thoughts?

SignGuyDino
Site Admin

Post by SignGuyDino » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:03 am

Enjoy (and I use that word very loosely)...The Carolina Ghostriders in Asheville NC (for their first of two home games before they left town with a TON of unpaid bills and upset season ticket holders.

http://www.wncsport.com/badturf1.wmv

http://www.wncsport.com/badturf2.wmv

Originally on the Asheville Citizen-Times website.
Never make anyone a priority that makes you an option.

Return to “MAHL”