California Man Buys the Indiana (PA) Ice Miners

The Mid-Atlantic Hockey League (MAHL) forum
IceMiner#1
Site Admin

California Man Buys the Indiana (PA) Ice Miners

Post by IceMiner#1 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:06 am

The following was in the Indiana (PA) Gazette newspaper on Thursday, March 13, 2008. I googled the new owner, Fidel Jenkins, and not much showed up on him. He is a contractor building high-end homes in Dallas, TX and in the Los Angeles, CA area. I am curious as too how much his worth has dropped since the mortgage fiasco has hit the country.

The idea of a long distance owner for such a small franchise does not sit well for me. I also get the sense that this 'ownership' is a big ego thing and that it will disappear quickly once the bills accumulate.

There also needs to be money put in to upgrading the S&T Arena. It is currently great for hockey teams that have a 'friends & relatives' fan base. The seating area could use expansion and upgrading. This would cost money.

There needs to be a serious campaign to win back the 'old' fans and establish new ones. Issuing "tickets" for food purchases is not going to do it. This is especially true since the crowds were small enough for everyone to get something between periods. The food concessions were run by White Township, who owns and runs the S&T Arena.

There will need to be a lot of work to make this team have any chance of being viable. I will believe it when I see it.

California Man Buys Idle Miners

By RICK WEAVER
Gazette Sports Writer
March 13, 2008

Some people postpone a life of prosperity in pursuit of a dream. Because Fidel Jenkins adopted the opposite approach, he is now fulfilling the dream of being the owner of a professional sports
team.

The 32-year-old native of California who has resided in Dallas the last four years, finalized an
agreement with the Mid-Atlantic Hockey League to purchase the Indiana Ice Miners.

Jenkins, who turns 33 in June, made his money in real estate and homebuilding.

“It’s been a pretty good ride,” said Jenkins, who closed the deal last Friday. “(But) owning a sports team has always been one of my dreams.”

Jenkins bought the club from Robert Eger, who purchased the Ice Miners on Dec. 29.

“We’ve inherited debts from the previous ownership,” said Jenkins, who declined to give any
specifics.

The Ice Miners won a professional hockey record 26 consecutive games before the league
suddenly suspended its inaugural season Feb. 12. The Miners rarely came close to filling the
S&T Bank Arena, resulting in cash flow difficulties. Ice Miners players said they had not been
paid in six weeks, and the league’s other teams faced similar cash flow issues. Jenkins said he hopes to have all outstanding debts paid off within three months. Jenkins said he will talk
to general manager Josh Lipkin and head coach Brian Gratz, holdovers from the Ice Miners’
front office, about their futures with the club.

Once the staff is in place, Jenkins said he will act quickly and focus his marketing efforts on
family, fun and community. Like Eger, he said he will strive to make ticket prices affordable.

The Miners offered seats from $12-15 before Eger enacted sizable reductions. One idea Jenkins is kicking around is a ticket plan in which fans can purchase a sticker for $6-8 and receive coupons for food at the concession stand.

“Ticket prices, frankly, for this town I think they’re too high,” he said.

The MAHL announced Tuesday the addition of a team based in Dyer, Ind., along the Indiana-Illinois border between Chicago and Gary, Ind.

The team, which will be named the South Shore Shooters, will be coached by former Mon Valley Thunder player/assistant coach Darren Seid.

The league, which started with five teams, intends to expand to eight to 12 teams by the end of March. According to a published report, Valley Forge will not return next season.

The MAHL also plans to reduce its season from 50 games to 40, with games beginning in December rather than October.

IceMiner#1
Site Admin

More Ice Miner News

Post by IceMiner#1 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:39 am

This was in Saturday's (March 15, 200 8) Indiana Gazette:
Ice Miners’ GM to Stay on Board
By RICK WEAVER
Gazette Sports Writer

Josh Lipkin will be retained as general manager of the Indiana Ice Miners, club owner Fidel Jenkins disclosed. As for the future of head coach Brian Gratz, Jenkins is leaving that largely to Gratz.

Lipkin, a West Lebanon native, assumed the general manager’s duties Nov. 29, when the team was still being operated by the Mid-Atlantic Hockey League. Lipkin remained in charge when Robert Eger purchased the club Dec. 29.

“Josh will be back with us,” Jenkins said in a telephone interview Thursday. “He’s pumped up and ready to go.”

The Ice Miners won a professional hockey record 26 consecutive games before the league abruptly suspended the season because of financial difficulties.

The league declared the Miners (31-1-0) regular-season champions and set forth to reorganize for the 2008-09 season.

“His commitment to the team as well as his knowledge of minor league sports and the city of Indiana is an invaluable resource,” Jenkins said.

“I look forward to working with Fidel and making the Ice Miners the best team in the league,” Lipkin said.

Gratz, the Ice Miners’ head coach and director or hockey operations, earned coach of the year honors because of the way he assembled the club. His connections throughout hockey proved to be a valuable asset, especially when Ice Miners players were being recalled to the Class AA ECHL and CHL.

“He would like to explore all his options,” Jenkins said, “and we will allow him to do that.”

Jenkins revealed he is exploring some options of his own, those that pertain to possible revenue streams. Because seating exists along only one sideline at the S&T Bank Arena, Jenkins said he is considering using the entire opposite wall as well as the side boards for advertising.

The new owner, who took over the club last week from Eger, also said he would like to turn the three offices that overlook the playing surface into luxury suites.

mel3476
Site Admin

Post by mel3476 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:54 am

[quote=""IceMiner#1""]This was in Saturday's (March 15, 200 8) Indiana Gazette:
Ice Miners’ GM to Stay on Board
By RICK WEAVER
Gazette Sports Writer

Josh Lipkin will be retained as general manager of the Indiana Ice Miners, club owner Fidel Jenkins disclosed. As for the future of head coach Brian Gratz, Jenkins is leaving that largely to Gratz.

Lipkin, a West Lebanon native, assumed the general manager’s duties Nov. 29, when the team was still being operated by the Mid-Atlantic Hockey League. Lipkin remained in charge when Robert Eger purchased the club Dec. 29.

“Josh will be back with us,” Jenkins said in a telephone interview Thursday. “He’s pumped up and ready to go.”

The Ice Miners won a professional hockey record 26 consecutive games before the league abruptly suspended the season because of financial difficulties.

The league declared the Miners (31-1-0) regular-season champions and set forth to reorganize for the 2008-09 season.

“His commitment to the team as well as his knowledge of minor league sports and the city of Indiana is an invaluable resource,” Jenkins said.

“I look forward to working with Fidel and making the Ice Miners the best team in the league,” Lipkin said.

Gratz, the Ice Miners’ head coach and director or hockey operations, earned coach of the year honors because of the way he assembled the club. His connections throughout hockey proved to be a valuable asset, especially when Ice Miners players were being recalled to the Class AA ECHL and CHL.

“He would like to explore all his options,” Jenkins said, “and we will allow him to do that.”

Jenkins revealed he is exploring some options of his own, those that pertain to possible revenue streams. Because seating exists along only one sideline at the S&T Bank Arena, Jenkins said he is considering using the entire opposite wall as well as the side boards for advertising.

The new owner, who took over the club last week from Eger, also said he would like to turn the three offices that overlook the playing surface into luxury suites.[/quote]

So who outside of the league is recognizing that 26 consecutive game 'professional' winning streak?

FJenkins
Site Admin

Post by FJenkins » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:54 am

I appreciate your comments Ice Miner #1. However, I have a few questions and opinions of my own.

First, since you are questioning my net worth, what’s yours and can you sustain owning a team yourself?

Second, if the idea of having a long distance owner doesn’t sit well with you, then why didn’t you buy the team?

Third, if this is such an ego thing for the “new ownership” and you believe that it will disappear quickly when the bills add up, then why would this new ownership buy this team and assume tens of thousands of dollars in debt it didn’t create?

Fourth, since you’re so negative about our team’s future and have all the answers to making this such a great franchise, "Why didn't you buy the team yourself?”

It’s easy to play “Professional Sports Team Owner” from the stands, but it takes true entrepreneurs who believe in themselves to invest their own time, effort and money into a struggling financial venture.

So once more, "Why didn’t you buy the team and risk your own money?"
Oh, that's right, it's much easier “playing” owner from the stands.

Sincerely,

Mr. Jenkins
Owner, Indiana Ice Miners

JohnDoe
Site Admin

Post by JohnDoe » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:03 am

I really dont want to get into this but if this was in fact Mr. Jenkins who posted I am baffled by the pure lack of substance to your reply not to mention the childish way it came accross.

The Why didnt you buy it defense is about as worn out as Bill Clinton and the Monica incident. I would expect that out of league ownership trying to pass the buck on someone else similar to the Jamestown team relocating and blaming the JSBIA of not communicating with them when the next day the JSBIA released in a news paper article they had cancelled the MAHL contract with them a week or two prior.

As far as Ice Miner #1 I can not say I disagree with anything he said, As a smaller town like Indiana, PA the idea of someone from a very far distance away trying to own and operate a team in a small tight knit area could show potential problems/concerns.

Comments like the following will only increase this fear

Iceminer#1 says "I also get the sense that this 'ownership' is a big ego thing and that it will disappear quickly once the bills accumulate."

Fjenkins replies "First, since you are questioning my net worth, what’s yours and can you sustain owning a team yourself?"

honestly are you serious as a team owner if this is actually Mr. Jenkins replying this way to a fan in a small town where word of mouth travels fast, You could have just burried yourself with the arrogant attitude. It really sounds like something A.H. would say.

Indiana, PA is not a viable market for a minor league hockey team period! Unfortunatly the way it is currently set up with lack of seating, ticket pricing problems (to high compared to other teams at a higher level within a reasonable distance) and the continued decrease in the economy accross the country now the fact that A.H. still owns over 1/2 of the MAHL teams and he just placed one in Dyer Indiana which is still over 8 hours away. The league is doomed ecspecially since the only one with any hockey sense Jim Riggs is gone.

So giving Mr. Jenkins the benefit of the doubt and assuming someone randomly used his name to post with. I would hope he would conduct himself more professionaly. But If I am wrong and this is in fact Mr. Jenkins I would pack it up and relocate this team as well because insulting people in a small community will only cost you more in the long run.

Hockey
Site Admin

Post by Hockey » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:51 am

Edited because I would get banned for saying what I wanted to.
Last edited by Hockey on Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

tops804
Site Admin

Assuming that this is actually Fidel Jenkins...

Post by tops804 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:26 am

His post would indicate exactly why so many of us have a difficult time
taking this league seriously. I don't see where Iceminer#1 really called out
Jenkins net worth, although I don't see a real reason he should have. His
post simply questioned how it's gone down since the mortgage crisis. The
same way someone could question an auto dealer, retail establishment, etc.,
owner in these economic times. I don't know if it should have any effect
on running the franchise which should be a seperate entity in the first place.

However, 2 weeks after the fact. I wonder if "defensive" could be skewed
as "scared" in regards to Jenkins. Two teams, have already all but left this
league. Lake Erie, is still looking for a home; while Jamestown, the leagues
biggest draw has been replaced. For an owner in this level of league, and
a league that has already abruptly ended a season on it's fans, players and cities.
I would think that a more practical response to potential or current
problems, and their solutions would be much better use of these boards.

Most of us fans on these boards want to see these leagues and teams succeed.
However, it is up to the individual leagues and owners to do their fair share to
follow through. Suspending a season on just a few days notice, didn't sit
well with too many of us...
Last edited by tops804 on Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adios, OSC message boards. (2007-2017)

Mac the Knife
Site Admin

Post by Mac the Knife » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:48 am

[quote=""JohnDoe""]Indiana, PA is not a viable market for a minor league hockey team period![/quote]

And, having lived there for fourteen years before having the common sense to get out, I can say with certainty - it isn't now, nor will it ever be. No matter what.

I wish the new ownership well, I really do, but if they finish a second season, count me among the not surprised, but downright stunned.

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:06 am

[quote=""FJenkins""]I appreciate your comments Ice Miner #1. However, I have a few questions and opinions of my own.

First, since you are questioning my net worth, what’s yours and can you sustain owning a team yourself?

Second, if the idea of having a long distance owner doesn’t sit well with you, then why didn’t you buy the team?

Third, if this is such an ego thing for the “new ownership” and you believe that it will disappear quickly when the bills add up, then why would this new ownership buy this team and assume tens of thousands of dollars in debt it didn’t create?

Fourth, since you’re so negative about our team’s future and have all the answers to making this such a great franchise, "Why didn't you buy the team yourself?”

It’s easy to play “Professional Sports Team Owner” from the stands, but it takes true entrepreneurs who believe in themselves to invest their own time, effort and money into a struggling financial venture.

So once more, "Why didn’t you buy the team and risk your own money?"
Oh, that's right, it's much easier “playing” owner from the stands.

Sincerely,

Mr. Jenkins
Owner, Indiana Ice Miners[/quote]

You asked. I'll take the bait.
My net worth: Not enough to own a pro sports franchise and I'm smart enough to know that.
Why would I not buy the team? As Dirty Harry once said, "A man has got to know his limitations."
How do I know about long-distance ownerships: Sometimes they work. Mandalay Bay has done an outstanding job with some of its minor league baseball teams. Here in DooDa, Chicago businessman Horn Chen has had a success with the Wichita Thunder.
How have these groups done it, they study their markets and come in with enough cash to let the organizations flurish. They market like all get out. They have venues that are the right size for their franchises in markets the right size for their franchises.
When they come in under financed with no knowledge of the market, that's usually a prescription for disaster.
Third question is one you'll have to answer. Maybe you need a tax write off?
Why so negative about the league? I saw the name of the guy who started it and I know of his track record. (Just hope he doesn't sell the team out from under you. That was his downfall from the AIFL.)
When people of means and integrity start minor league sports franchises, I applaud their efforts. I even put down my hard-earned cash at the ticket counter, put my butt in the seat and buy a hot dog and a beer or two (if I'm not driving).
Even under the best conditions, it's a risky business, but done right, it's a great payoff for the fans, players, community and owner. When done wrong, it's a clustersnuggle plain and simple. And I will laugh at those in charge. (But I won't laugh at all the damage they cause and the people they burn.)
If you're such a great entrepreneur, why are you in this league and not the CHL, ECHL or SPHL or AHL? How much homework did you do before you jumped into this?
I will credit you with this. If this is really you, you showed the stones to come on here and face the critics (If only Joe Newman, AH, CS, CG et al had the same pair).
I don't hate you (I've just seen too much bullcookies in this business). It's nothing personal. It's all business. Good luck.

Return to “MAHL”