PBL Playoff Projections

The Premier Basketball League (PBL) forum
CHris902
Site Admin

Post by CHris902 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:27 pm

The Massey Ratings also provide some interesting data, particularly around ease of schedule.
//www.oursportscentral.com/service ... s/?lid=134

Of the teams left in the league Halifax and SJ have had the hardest and second hardest schedules while LFS and Rochester have had the easiest.

It also goes to show just how bad Halifax's offense has been this year. Yuck.

time out
Site Admin

Post by time out » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:26 pm

Anyone who didn't believe that Rochester would be in the playoffs until mathematically impossible forgot who owns the league, makes the schedule, hires and pays the refs, and can change anything on a whim if it doesn't work for his team. Anyone who believes that Rochester won't be playing in the championship by the end of the season needs to put the glue down and start sniffing something else. My money is on the Sharks for a third championship out of four years. If Sev is at the game in LFS I will double down.

LightningMan
Site Admin

Post by LightningMan » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:10 am

As I said, the projector early on showed that Rochester would have an easy finish, putting them more likely to make the playoffs while behind Saint John by record. There is no scheme involved.

Precious Roy
Site Admin

Post by Precious Roy » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:24 am

You have to consider what Vermont folding did to this... With them out, that left the Canadian teams to just bash each others heads into a wall while Lawton and Rochester got their cupcakes in Dayton and Kentucky. Vermont may not have been the cupcake that those other two teams were, but they would be an easier foe than playing Halifax and Quebec over and over if you are Saint John. However, in that scenario Rochester already makes the dance with the split divisions so it doesn't really matter much.

OKCAVS67
Site Admin

Post by OKCAVS67 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:10 am

So Right now, if the season ended, it would be:

Lawton-Ft. Sill vs. Halifax

Quebec vs. Rochester

Remaining Games vs....

St. John (6)
3 games vs. Halifax
1 game vs. Kentucky, Lawton-Ft. Sill and Quebec
My Estimated result: 3-3

Halifax (5)
3 games vs. St. John
1 game vs. Dayton and Quebec
My Estimated result: 2-3

Rochester (4)
2 games vs. Dayton
1 game vs. Lawton-Ft. Sill and Kentucky
My Estimated result: 3-1

Quebec (3)
1 game vs. Halifax, Lawton-Ftill and St. John
My Estimated result: 2-1

Lawton-Ft. Sill (4)
1 game vs. Rochester, Quebec, Dayton and St. John
My Estimated result: 3-0

So with my guess-timation above the final records would be:

Lawton-Ft. Sill 17-2
Quebec 13-6
Rochester 12-8
Halifax 10-10
St. John 10-10

With Halifax and St. John tied the tie breaker would be head-to-head record shall determine the 4th place team.

So the remaining games 3 games that Halifax has with St. Johns will be the ones to watch to see who has to play the 1st round vs. Lawton-Ft. Sill.

Again, this is all just my guessing but at least it will be an interesting remaining 3 weeks to the season.

Precious Roy
Site Admin

Post by Precious Roy » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:31 am

[quote=""OKCAVS67""]So Right now, if the season ended, it would be:

Lawton-Ft. Sill vs. Halifax

Quebec vs. Rochester

Remaining Games vs....

St. John (6)
3 games vs. Halifax
1 game vs. Kentucky, Lawton-Ft. Sill and Quebec
My Estimated result: 3-3

Halifax (5)
3 games vs. St. John
1 game vs. Dayton and Quebec
My Estimated result: 2-3

Rochester (4)
2 games vs. Dayton
1 game vs. Lawton-Ft. Sill and Kentucky
My Estimated result: 3-1

Quebec (3)
1 game vs. Halifax, Lawton-Ftill and St. John
My Estimated result: 2-1

Lawton-Ft. Sill (4)
1 game vs. Rochester, Quebec, Dayton and St. John
My Estimated result: 3-0

So with my guess-timation above the final records would be:

Lawton-Ft. Sill 17-2
Quebec 13-6
Rochester 12-8
Halifax 10-10
St. John 10-10

With Halifax and St. John tied the tie breaker would be head-to-head record shall determine the 4th place team.

So the remaining games 3 games that Halifax has with St. Johns will be the ones to watch to see who has to play the 1st round vs. Lawton-Ft. Sill.

Again, this is all just my guessing but at least it will be an interesting remaining 3 weeks to the season.[/quote]

Halifax and Saint John will play a 21st game as their last game of the season on March 31, while Quebec will only play 19 games total because of Vermont folding and screwing up the schedule. Things will work themselves out, but not without some frustrations.
My predictions from my column in last Monday's paper.

The Cavs come out on top with an 18-2 record, they win their last six games with four playing at home.
In second place will be Quebec with a 13-6 record. The Kebs will only play 19 games instead of 20 due to Vermont's folding.
Due to the favorable schedule, Rochester will jump all the way to third with a 12-8 record.
The final team to make the playoffs will be Halifax, who will finish a half game back of Rochester with a 12-9 record after playing 21 games because of the Vermont issue.
Saint John will be left out in the cold with a 9-12 record. With two games on the road in Halifax, one on the road in Quebec and a game at home against the Cavs the Mill Rats will have to play out of their minds to make the playoffs or even finish with a winning record.

a1sports
Site Admin

Post by a1sports » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:04 pm

Time out ( Mr. Sayer) Please show proof that the Doc controls the whole show,
What do you base all your statements on? The schedule was made before the season started. Your really stretching here with your conspiracy theories.

Frank Mart
Site Admin

There can be only one

Post by Frank Mart » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:37 pm

New post in my blog about road to playoffs with my predictions;

http://frankmartpbl.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... y-one.html

Thanks
http://frankmartminors.blogspot.com/
Follow me twitter: franMartblog...

tops804
Site Admin

Because sometimes, you make it too easy for them not to...

Post by tops804 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:11 pm

[quote=""a1sports""]Time out ( Mr. Sayer) Please show proof that the Doc controls the whole show,
What do you base all your statements on? The schedule was made before the season started. Your really stretching here with your conspiracy theories.[/quote]

Somehow, I knew a PBL playoff thread would get into this.

a1's recent posts
Today, 11:04 AM
Replies: 17 PBL Playoff Projections

Forum: ABA 03-12-2011, 07:26 AM
Replies: 1 Nutty Jerry is Just that, Nutty ( my opinion)
Attack?

Forum: PBL 02-10-2011, 10:13 AM
Replies: 33 Quebec: Overtime, Kentucky, and Ball Hogs

Forum: PBL 02-10-2011, 09:19 AM

Forum: PBL 02-10-2011, 08:49 AM

Forum: PBL 02-09-2011, 06:11 PM

Forum: PBL 01-28-2011, 07:39 AM
Replies: 97 Heaves Fold
Views: 6,661 Posted By a1sports
Its a shame that posters come on here with false...
Defend?

Forum: ABA 01-12-2011, 06:01 PM
Replies: 26 Fresh baked...
In anyone's (not mine) "Anti-PBL" defense. Is it strange that some posters involved with the PBL, disappear during the season? It is going to look to some that Sev, much like Joe Newman, asks them to stay away from the boards.

The too busy excuse won't work. It isn't that hard to check in from time to time and make sure nobody is posting something they shouldn't, and report it to the mod's if they do.

What happened when the Heaves folded?

It was to difficult to include it in a thread, without certain (and the same) posters taking offense, getting into personal attacks, and being banned.

...is going to start happening in this thread.

...the same way that it happens every PBL playoff season.

1) A thread is posted about the playoffs.
2) Somebody gets on their soapbox with "Rochester is going to win. The guy owns them. They have to win..."
3) The same sleighted posters show up season after season, and get in a "you are", "I'm not" type of argument.
4) Battle Creek gets mentioned..
5) A picture of a shattered backboard is posted within the thread.
6) Everybody who really gives a damn about the playoffs goes away tired of hearing the same old, same old.
7) What we really needed to do was just ignore one persons post.

Why was I even hoping that this thread would be different???? :(
Last edited by tops804 on Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Adios, OSC message boards. (2007-2017)

CHris902
Site Admin

Post by CHris902 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:50 pm

I think that Quebec can beat Rochester in a three game series, but it could swing either way.

LFS will almost certainly beat SJ/Halifax. SJ have enough fire power in Anderson, Rice and Egerson to go on long runs, but I don't know if they can shoot the lights out for two games against LFS.
Halifax just don't have the offense to pull off an upset against a team as good as LFS. Maybe they pull one out at home, but I think the Cavs have gotten inside some of the Halifax player's heads and the only hole for Halifax would be to have Ferguson or Taliek Brown go off for 35 points... and they might need both of them to do it two games in a row to actually win.

Given how much better Quebec are than we expected and how much worse Kentucky are, Rochester would have made the playoffs even without Vermont dropping out. The west was always a two team division and when Rochester were struggling the Stallions failed to do anything at all to challenge them for the number two spot in the division.
I am really surprised at just how bad a team they fielded.

Return to “PBL”