PBL Web Site

The Premier Basketball League (PBL) forum
CHris902
Site Admin

Post by CHris902 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:34 pm

[quote=""not so fast""]Each year of their existance, the PBL has done a better and better job with their websites and stats. So Don't be suprised if you see a new and improved website soon.

However it is the off season, so there is no sense of urgency to update things constantly.

They are in the middle of negotiating with many teams and cities, so you might as well wait until you have enough new info before you make changes.[/quote]

I think that's part of the problem, though: The PBL doesn't need to re-do the website every year. They just need a clean, simple website that is up to date and not full of empty pages.

There is an urgency to update things constantly, or at least as they need to be updated: You have people sitting around thinking about buying season tickets, trying to find out where their favourite college bench player is trying out, writing stories about new teams setting up in the town they cover, etc. Since there are no games happening right now the website is the only place where fans and media have quick and direct contact with the league.
It doesn't need to be cutting edge and up to the minute, but it does need to at least be factually correct and professional.

I also don't think they need to or even should wait to have every team confirmed for next season before updating. It really should only take an hour or less to update the team list and throw some team and league press releases up on the website.

I am not at all a knee-jerk anti-PBL vitriol spewing idiot who is just nit-picking. I am a fan of the league and the teams and players who play in it and I want to see it succeed. I also think it has a ton of potential. That's why things like the website drive me all the way up the wall - it is so simple and so easy and so crucial that I don't see how the league can consistently fail to deliver when it manages to get some other, more complex things (like the combine) right.

CAVSFAN
Site Admin

Post by CAVSFAN » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:49 pm

[quote=""ACBSPAIN""]Yes, it's off season, is not important updated, ok, you and others defending the nightmare, curious case of improving, doesn't matter, ok, I see, and then make comments of another nonsenses, yeah, all right, smart...have a nice day.
I'll tell my boss I am off season, and I won't go work, yes, nice, yes, sensational...very good, thanks a lot.[/quote]

WHAT? Could you say this again?

CAVSFAN
Site Admin

Post by CAVSFAN » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:51 pm

[quote=""CHris902""]I think that's part of the problem, though: The PBL doesn't need to re-do the website every year. They just need a clean, simple website that is up to date and not full of empty pages.

There is an urgency to update things constantly, or at least as they need to be updated: You have people sitting around thinking about buying season tickets, trying to find out where their favourite college bench player is trying out, writing stories about new teams setting up in the town they cover, etc. Since there are no games happening right now the website is the only place where fans and media have quick and direct contact with the league.
It doesn't need to be cutting edge and up to the minute, but it does need to at least be factually correct and professional.

I also don't think they need to or even should wait to have every team confirmed for next season before updating. It really should only take an hour or less to update the team list and throw some team and league press releases up on the website.

I am not at all a knee-jerk anti-PBL vitriol spewing idiot who is just nit-picking. I am a fan of the league and the teams and players who play in it and I want to see it succeed. I also think it has a ton of potential. That's why things like the website drive me all the way up the wall - it is so simple and so easy and so crucial that I don't see how the league can consistently fail to deliver when it manages to get some other, more complex things (like the combine) right.[/quote]

I agree!!! One thing I want to know is when LFS is playing Halifax in Halifax? I am seriously thinking about coming to the game.

not so fast
Site Admin

Post by not so fast » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:17 pm

chris, your points are well taken, but I still think a little patience is in order. You have always been one of my favorite people on the message boards. Halifax and the PBL are lucky to have fans like you.

south florida basketball
Site Admin

PBL Web Site

Post by south florida basketball » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:49 pm

My purpose in starting this thread was not to "bash" the PBL but to make them realize how important the site is to there fans. The smallest updates are encouraging and show the world that they are alive. Get rid of the team logos that are gone and change the ones that have moved to a different city such as Manchester. The people in St. Johns must be wondering what they got into! Tell us what is happening? Instead we get a league official on these boards.

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Have a nice day!

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:56 pm

[quote=""ACBSPAIN""]Yes, it's off season, is not important updated, ok, you and others defending the nightmare, curious case of improving, doesn't matter, ok, I see, and then make comments of another nonsenses, yeah, all right, smart...have a nice day.
I'll tell my boss I am off season, and I won't go work, yes, nice, yes, sensational...very good, thanks a lot.[/quote]

Very good point. The off season is just as important as during the season, maybe moreso when it comes to making new business.

[quote=""CAVSFAN""]WHAT? Could you say this again?[/quote]

Maybe I can help with the translation.

The off season is just as important as during the season, maybe moreso when it comes to making new business...and not so fast's comments are mindless nonsense that have nothing to do with anything and how can not so fast and others defend this nightmare?

Also, all someone has to do is look at the PBL website (at anytime of year (IMO)) and understand this is a horrible league. First impressions (well, I added this also part). :wink:

CAVSFAN
Site Admin

Post by CAVSFAN » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:10 pm

You can have your opinion Ken, I do not agree with your feelings about the PBL. You want to see it crash and burn, others on here want to see it continue to grow.

not so fast
Site Admin

Post by not so fast » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:44 pm

Well ken, as usual I must educate you. I can remember when this league first started, I was constantly complaining about the website and the lack of stats, and information, etc....

To the leagues credit, they took strong steps to improve the website each year.

Because some of you have again this derainged syndrom against the PBL, doesnt mean they are not doing a good job. Websites in the off season is not warranted to be updated every 24 hours, just to please a few faceless, posters on osc.

So ken, I am not sure what mindless nonsense you speak of, but you should seek to see Dr. Laura, or even Dr. Phil, I think they will walk you off the ledge.

Man I sure hope they get a PBL team in Gary Indiana, I can't wait to see the one man protest, ken outside the Genesis Center with a picket sign, saying something like "PBL stinks! unfair labor practices!"

At that point Ken, they might come with a straight jacket for you!

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:50 pm

I don't WANT to see the PBL crash and burn. It's inevitable. Maybe sooner than I thought. I didn't expect Doc to pull his financial support until 2011.

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:53 pm

[quote=""not so fast""]
Because some of you have again this derainged syndrom against the PBL, doesnt mean they are not doing a good job. Websites in the off season is not warranted to be updated every 24 hours, just to please a few faceless, posters on osc.
[/quote]

In this day and age, the website is the 24-hour face of a league (...team, organization, etc.). There should be no excuse for having such a lousy-looking and lousy maintained website. As some posters already stated, it's not expensive nor is it difficult to maintain a website. Why ignore such an essential business tool?

[quote=""not so fast""]
So ken, I am not sure what mindless nonsense you speak of, but you should seek to see Dr. Laura, or even Dr. Phil, I think they will walk you off the ledge.
[/quote]

I rest my case.

Return to “PBL”