SouthCoast United

The Premier Basketball League (PBL) forum
ABARedWhiteBlue
Site Admin

SouthCoast United

Post by ABARedWhiteBlue » Wed May 19, 2010 1:43 pm

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbc ... /-1/NEWS01
Standing united in Fall River: Former Durfee star Mike Herren to coach new minor-league basketball team starting in January

FALL RIVER — The past and the future shared the spotlight on Tuesday at a press conference unveiling the SouthCoast United, the newest franchise in the Premier Basketball League.

A nice turnout of fans, league officials, local politicians and potential players were on hand at the historic 113-year-old Bank Street Armory, which will serve as the team's home court, to hear head coach Mike Herren and principal owner Mike Martin talk about rallying the entire SouthCoast behind the team.

"This is a chance to bring communities together," Herren said. "There are a lot of great basketball fans in this area and we want to reach out to them and give them a team they can be proud of."

Nine teams competed in the PBL this past season and the league hopes to expand for the 2011 season, which will get underway in January.

With the SouthCoast now onboard, the league, which is based in Chicago and is comparable to the AA level in professional baseball, is also looking at adding teams in Las Vegas, Texas, Kentucky and Canada.

"Massachusetts is a great basketball state and we're excited about adding a team here," said Carrie Ann May, the PBL's director of league operations. "Everything in Fall River has been very positive. We've already seen a lot of support for the team and that's encouraging."

The Lawton-Fort Sill (OK) Cavalry finished as the 2010 PBL champions after fighting it out during the regular season with the Rochester Razorsharks, the Puerto Rico Capitanes, the Halifax Rainmen, the Vermont Frost Heaves, the Manchester (NH) Millrats, the Quebec Kebs, the Buffalo Stampede and the Maryland Greenhawks.

"It's an established league and being a part of it will be a good thing for the area," said former New Bedford High School head coach Ed Rodrigues, who's on the United's board of directors. "There are a lot of guys out there who are still hanging onto a dream to play pro ball somewhere and this will give them a chance to do that."

Players in the Premier League sometimes get a chance to move up to the NBA Developmental League or sign with a team in Europe, and Rodrigues, who's now as assistant coach at UMass Dartmouth, said he likes the fact that the United will be playing in the 1,200-seat Bank Street Armory.

"It's the right size and that's important, because you don't want to be playing in a half-full gym," Rodrigues said. "UMass Dartmouth (which hosted the ABA's Boston Frenzy in 2004) is too big and so is Durfee High. They both seat close to 3,000 people and that puts pressure on you to sell tickets."

Seats for the United's games will be $5 for general admission and Herren said fans can expect a lot of action for their money.

"We're going to try to score 140 points a game," Herren said. "We want to shoot the ball within seven seconds and generate a lot of offense. We want to have a team that runs and guns and plays an exciting style of play."

The United will hold an open tryout June 19-20 at New Bedford High School and Herren is expecting a tremendous turnout of potential players.

"We're going to have players coming in from all over the country," Herren said. "The competition for roster spots is going to be intense, because there are a lot of guys out there who have never gotten an opportunity like this to play at such a high level."

Two former players from New Bedford High School — Marques Houtman and Wilson Pilarte — will be in the mix as possible local representatives on the team.

Houtman, who put together a stellar career at UMass Dartmouth, played for the Boston Frenzy and has also competed internationally for the Cape Verde Olympic team and professional teams in Portugal and Africa.

"I know that the PBL is an excellent league and I would love to be part of that if an opportunity presents itself," said Houtman, who is trying to hook on with a European team. "It's something I would definitely consider, because having a local team in the PBL is going to be a good thing for the area."

Pilarte would very much like to be a part of the United, but he's still working on a degree in communications at Bloomfield College in New Jersey, where he's used up his athletic eligibility.

"It's all going to be about timing for me. I want to get my degree and go from there," Pilarte said. "Playing for the United would be a great opportunity. It's exciting just thinking about it. It'll be a dream come true for everybody who makes the team."

The players who make the roster after the June tryouts at NBH will play on a summer league team in Boston.

The United will have another open tryout in October that will lead into their December training camp at the Bank Street Armory, which will be getting a new court for the PBL season and will be made handicapped accessible.

"Everybody's excited about the way things have come together. We still have a lot of work to do, but it's all going to be worth it when the team plays its first game," Herren said. "We've had a lot of people pull together to make this a reality. We've already leased office space (in downtown Fall River) for three years and it just goes to show you that anything can happen if you work hard enough and refuse to take no for an answer."
Hey Joe - take notes... THIS is how you introduce a team: a press conference, media coverage, input from local officials, a secured venue; not a ridiculous email missive that does nothing to indicate the "team" you announced is actually ready to play, or that the local community knows or cares about it.
Proud to be "Mean-spirited blogger #10K" ;)
And we believe it is better to have critics and people who care than not to have interest at all. Joe Newman 6/30/05
I never said the ABA had the greatest numbers regarding retention of teams. OldSchoolBaller (neither did we :rolleyes: )
The ABA has tarnished minor league professional basketball throughout this country Ed Krinsky 2/15/06
We are now making some adjustments to our schedule - Joe Newman 10/9/08 in perpetuity

Buffalo Super Fan
Site Admin

Post by Buffalo Super Fan » Thu May 20, 2010 3:39 am

SouthCoast United I don't even know where to begin with this PBL news. The first thing that came to my mind is how are the Buffalo Stampede going to sell teams like that to Buffalo, New York where I live. First I didn't even know or ever heard of Fall River, Massachusetts one. And two SouthCoast United is a bad team name in my opinion.

It sounds like a minor league soccer team in the southern part of the United States, Massachusetts doesn't come to mind with SouthCoast. The PBL team should be Massachusetts __________ nickname would sound better and is easy to sell to PBL fans. United is a bad nickname for a basketball team, United is used in soccer in my opinion. Let's Go Buffalo
The above post is in my opinion and I have no proof or link. I am just a Buffalo sports fan.

LightningMan
Site Admin

Post by LightningMan » Thu May 20, 2010 1:33 pm

[quote=""Buffalo Super Fan""]SouthCoast United I don't even know where to begin with this PBL news. The first thing that came to my mind is how are the Buffalo Stampede going to sell teams like that to Buffalo, New York where I live. First I didn't even know or ever heard of Fall River, Massachusetts one. And two SouthCoast United is a bad team name in my opinion.

It sounds like a minor league soccer team in the southern part of the United States, Massachusetts doesn't come to mind with SouthCoast. The PBL team should be Massachusetts __________ nickname would sound better and is easy to sell to PBL fans. United is a bad nickname for a basketball team, United is used in soccer in my opinion. Let's Go Buffalo[/quote]
While I dislike adjectival team names (and singular team names), the name of an opposition team shouldn't matter two whits to Buffalo fans as to whether or not to support their team. I don't follow the Wilmington Sea Dawgs to watch the Rochester Razorsharks or the Savannah Wildcats.

As to the local (Falls River) support, the SouthCoast portion of the name could be reflective of an area nickname. Northern Ohio adopted the identifier North Coast (because it's the north coast of Lake Erie) and a team named for that would probably go over well even though Ohio is not on an ocean.

I would think that Buffalo and its fans should be more worried about its team than any current or future opposition.

But that's just me.

ABARedWhiteBlue
Site Admin

Post by ABARedWhiteBlue » Thu May 20, 2010 3:53 pm

[quote=""LightningMan""]
But that's just me.[/quote]

Nope - me too.

As long as they show up, their name is immaterial. Carolina is a regional name, as is Golden State, New England, etc.

And while I agree United is more linked to soccer - your team has already played Millrats, RazorSharks and Kebs. Minor league names are often quirky or different; look at MiLB for a bunch of odd names. But again, if the organization is professional, and they do what they are expected to do, then there should be no difference facing the SouthCoast United or the Fall River Hoops.
And we believe it is better to have critics and people who care than not to have interest at all. Joe Newman 6/30/05
I never said the ABA had the greatest numbers regarding retention of teams. OldSchoolBaller (neither did we :rolleyes: )
The ABA has tarnished minor league professional basketball throughout this country Ed Krinsky 2/15/06
We are now making some adjustments to our schedule - Joe Newman 10/9/08 in perpetuity

Buffalo Super Fan
Site Admin

Post by Buffalo Super Fan » Fri May 21, 2010 6:37 am

I not worried because I know the PBL won't make it in Buffalo already. Pro basketball fans like myself in Buffalo are waiting for D-League with NBA affliation. Bottom line is few PBL fans will know where there located the SouthCoast United. Using a states name is better if the city is just to small to identify with in my opinion.

I disagree I follow the opponents where there from. See where your located you are in a minor league only town Lightning Man so I guess I get that. In Buffalo we want to know the opponent where there from to get a idea about the team and area who where going against. Where I disagree with you is when Buffalo and Rochester meet in anything it is a rivalry automatic. So it matters in cities like Buffalo. I am a IL baseball fan and playing Charotte Knights isn't the same as playing Rochester Red Wings and Syracuse Chiefs we even have Thruway Cup standings on the Buffalo Bisons website go check if you don't believe me.

Buffalo in my opinion the guy that worked in Buffalo once that is a CBA fan forgot your handle from Gary, Indiana is right Stealhead something. Buffalo is more a D-League level city than a PBL level city in my opinion I agree with that. Buffalo is rejecting the PBL and the Buffalo Stampede for alot of reasons too many to go over again and this doesn't help in my opinion is just another thing the Buffalo Stampede will have to deal with for the PBL in Buffalo in my opinion.

Buffalo is a major league and high minor league sports town. You think it is so easy selling oh I know your enjoying the Buffalo Bills vs New England Patriots game how would you like to check the Buffalo Stampede vs the SouthCoast United. What is that? The Buffalo Stampede are a minor league basketball team playing in the PBL. Where is SouthCoast? You get the idea it is a tough sell in places like Buffalo that compete on our level that we presently do. Buffalo has nothing in commom with any of these PBL cities. The closest thing in common ground Buffalo has is Rochester outside that nothing else. We belong in the D-League when they add more Northeast teams. That team in Erie the Erie Bayhawks belongs in Buffalo really it would make more sense bigger market that Buffalo and Erie switched leagues. Erie to the PBL and Buffalo to the D-League. Erie has more like size and foot print that the PBL is looking for than Buffalo at a double-a level. Buffalo should be triple-a in basketball and it would do alot better and get the newspaper and tv coverage with the NBA seal of approval. Buffalo is just to big for this PBL league in my opinion.

It makes a difference because it sounds ei ei oh that is why it makes a difference. It sounds like some little league team representing a area at Williamsport. The difference with Carolina Panthers is I get there representing the area of North and South Carolina or New England Patriots representing New England states I get that.

I didn't even know where SouthCoast is. If they went with New England United fine I get the idea but SouthCoast give me a break it is a bad idea who ever thought of it. And it makes me wonder if the owner is anything to right home about right away just by the below bush league name. It says watch out no money to me in my opinion but I have my eyes wide open as a sports fan and have seen alot in very low minor league sports which the PBL is. I hope you guys are right. The problem is Buffalo in my opinion we don't belong in this low level league. Please D-League give Buffalo a expansion franchise so the PBL leaves Buffalo so I don't have to hear anymore of this low level bad idea stuff.

The PBL better start worrying about things like this or there will be no league in a few years in my opinion. In my opinion if you can't make it in cities the size of Buffalo. That speaks volumes what the future of the PBL is and what they are trying to sell which is what exactly? I would guess double-a basketball but the standards need to get alot better. The PBL in my opinion is a joke right now and getting silly now with this. I hope for D-League personally someday for Buffalo with normal owners with money like the way sports teams and league should be run in my opinion. Let's Go Buffalo
Last edited by Buffalo Super Fan on Fri May 21, 2010 7:29 am, edited 14 times in total.
The above post is in my opinion and I have no proof or link. I am just a Buffalo sports fan.

LightningMan
Site Admin

Post by LightningMan » Fri May 21, 2010 2:22 pm

[quote=""Buffalo Super Fan""]Bottom line is few PBL fans will know where the[y']re located[,] the SouthCoast United. Using a state's name is better if the city is just too small to identify with in my opinion.[/quote]
Fair enough.

[quote=""Buffalo Super Fan""]I disagree [about the importance of where the opponent is from.] I follow the opponents where the[y']re from. See where you[']r[e] located you are in a minor league only town Lightning Man so I guess I get that. In Buffalo we want to know the opponent where there from to get a idea about the team and area who where going against. Where I disagree with you is when Buffalo and Rochester meet in anything it is a rivalry automatic. So it matters in cities like Buffalo. [/quote]
I lived the largest portion of my life in the Greater Cleveland area, the actual big leagues. It really didn't matter to me if the Raiders were in Oakland or Los Angeles, or that the Rams moved from Los Angeles to St. Louis.

Don't get me wrong. Rivalries are great. I mean, I come from the land of Buckeyes vs. Wolverines, Browns vs. Steelers, Cavaliers vs. Pistons, Cavaliers vs. Bulls, Cavaliers vs. Bullets / Wizards, and Indians vs. Twins. But the last two should show you that it's not proximity that matters. It's game play.

[quote=""Buffalo Super Fan""]I am a IL baseball fan and playing Charotte Knights isn't the same as playing Rochester Red Wings and Syracuse Chiefs we even have Thruway Cup standings on the Buffalo Bisons website go check if you don't believe me.[/quote]
Being an Indians fan, I am quite familiar with the Bisons (although now the Indians AAA team is Columbus).

[quote=""Buffalo Super Fan""]Buffalo is more a D-League level city than a PBL level city. Buffalo is rejecting the PBL and the Buffalo Stampede for alot of reasons too many to go over again and this doesn't help in my opinion is just another thing the Buffalo Stampede will have to deal with for the PBL in Buffalo in my opinion.[/quote]
I don't think it the issue you do.

[quote=""Buffalo Super Fan""]That team in Erie, the Erie Bayhawks, belongs in Buffalo really; it would make more sense [with the] bigger market that Buffalo and Erie switched leagues. Erie to the PBL and Buffalo to the D-League. Erie has more like [the] size and footprint that the PBL is looking for than Buffalo at a double-a level. Buffalo should be triple-a in basketball and it would do a lot better and get the newspaper and tv coverage with the NBA seal of approval. Buffalo is just too big for this PBL league in my opinion.[/quote]
And this is precisely the reason why the D-League isn't there, IMO. While the Indians were using the Bisons, there were complaints out of Buffalo that they should actually have an MLB team given that population-wise Buffalo is bigger than the city of Cleveland (although not the metro). The Bayhawks, being the Cleveland D-League affiliate and being owned by a fan of the Cavaliers, didn't want to go anywhere where that sort of situation would be duplicated. Erie knows it's place in the pecking order. Buffalo wants to be 100% major league (or at least 75% major league) instead of 50%. [Detroit is 100% major league: NHL, NBA, MLB, NFL; Cleveland and Pittsburgh for example are 75%]

[quote=""Buffalo Super Fan""][SouthCoast United] sounds like some little league team representing a area at Williamsport. The difference with Carolina Panthers is I get there representing the area of North and South Carolina or New England Patriots representing New England states I get that.

I didn't even know where SouthCoast is. If they went with New England United fine I get the idea but SouthCoast give me a break it is a bad idea who ever thought of it.[/quote]
If the people of the area, the ones who will actually be called upon to support the team, know what and where the SouthCoast is, what does it matter if some guy from Buffalo doesn't? Seriously?

[quote=""Buffalo Super Fan""]And it makes me wonder if the owner is anything to write home about right away just by the below bush league name. It says watch out no money to me in my opinion...[/quote]
Does Lawton-Fort Sill say that to you too? LFS name is that way because they want to draw from both cities for fans and attention. SouthCoast is named that way in my estimation to be able to draw fans from that region. It doesn't matter that neither you nor I have ever heard of it. As long as it has meaning for the folks in the Falls River area.

[quote=""Buffalo Super Fan""]...but I have my eyes wide open as a sports fan and have seen a lot in very low minor league sports, which the PBL is. I hope you guys are right. The problem is Buffalo in my opinion we don't belong in this low level league. Please D-League give Buffalo a expansion franchise so the PBL leaves Buffalo so I don't have to hear anymore of this low level bad idea stuff.[/quote]
Since the Braves left town a million years ago, I don't see the NBA rushing into Buffalo anytime soon even with the D-League, (unless you buy the Pistons and move them there).

[quote=""Buffalo Super Fan""]The PBL better start worrying about things like this or there will be no league in a few years in my opinion.[/quote]
I think regional names versus city names is way down on the PBL list of problems.

[quote=""Buffalo Super Fan""]In my opinion if you can't make it in cities the size of Buffalo, that speaks volumes what the future of the PBL is and what they are trying to sell...[/quote]
It says to me that Buffalo is a mismatch. It doesn't say much about the future of the PBL otherwise.

[quote=""Buffalo Super Fan""]...which is what exactly? I would guess double-a basketball but the standards need to get a lot better. The PBL in my opinion is a joke right now and getting silly now with this.[/quote]
Be careful what you wish for. The Buffalo ownership group is probably one of the worst by PBL standards. So what you're saying is that the PBL should kick Buffalo out.

[quote=""Buffalo Super Fan""]I hope for D-League personally someday for Buffalo with normal owners with money like the way sports teams and league should be run in my opinion. Let's Go Buffalo[/quote]
Finally you get to the heart of the matter. It's Buffalo ownership that's the problem, not the PBL, not the name of the SouthCoast United, not even the market of Buffalo for minor league sports (although that hurts).

Good luck getting a D-League team. I don't see it, but I have been wrong before.

Buffalo Super Fan
Site Admin

Post by Buffalo Super Fan » Sat May 22, 2010 4:17 am

LightningMan D-League will be in Buffalo when there is a ownership group that steps forward. When that is who knows but someday I think it is very possible. One thing I do know is that the Buffalo Stampede and the PBL will never make it is Buffalo in my opinion. See I have a advantage because I live here in Buffalo.

The thing with Buffalo is if you make a bad first impression on the Buffalo sports fans without establishing yourself first as creditable your done. I don't care who owns the Buffalo Stampede PBL even a new owner won't save this team in my opinion because the damage is done for alot of reasons too many to list.

The Buffalo Stampede likes to throw around oh the Buffalo Rapids ABA ruined the Buffalo market or oh the Buffalo Silverbacks ruined the Buffalo market yes that was part of the story but not the whole story. The bottom line look in the mirror Buffalo Stampede your 4-36 with 4 coaches in two seasons in the PBL that is done to me.

The only thing that I believe will work in the Buffalo market for minor league basketball in Buffalo is the D-League after giving it alot of thought. But I believe what you have to do with Buffalo is give it time. Meaning no pro basketball for a few years so fans in Buffalo forget all the damage that has been done over the years between two leagues and three franchises.

When whoever brings back pro basketball to Buffalo in the future you better do it right with the D-League because in my opinion pro basketball in Buffalo is down to its last chance once the Buffalo Stampede go which they will in my opinion. The ABA and PBL have single handlely ruined any potential Buffalo might have had with the monkey business that has gone on over the years in my opinion.

No city would draw with the ownership groups we had and there poor business decissions and plans. I know the guy from Pittsburgh will say atleast you have a team and I disagree with that mind set no offense to him he seems like a good person. I don't know what your talking about LightningMan about becareful what you wish for?

The Buffalo Stampede owner has no money he isn't getting anywhere near a new Buffalo D-League team in the future or ever inless he buys a ticket to a game. He has no money to run the PBL team in my opinion right. And if your getting at be glad you have PBL it is better than nothing. I would rather have nothing than for Buffalo. Because in the PBL isn't the answer I will wait for the D-League if that is 10 years so be it.

I am a patient man I can wait. Bottom line is Buffalo isn't going to support a joke which the Buffalo Stampede and the PBL is a joke in my opinion. I am not worried one bit about getting D-League someday down the road. LightingMan your in love with Erie so be it. I am telling you Erie Bayhawks time will tell. I have been to that city of Erie my brother went to college at Gannon University. It is a small city that I believe if the D-League wants to be atleast losing less money in the future needs cities Buffalo size not Erie sorry I disagree.

Like I said Buffalo and Erie should trade places which I know isn't possible but you get the general idea. I will leave you with this the Buffalo Bisons in our double-a Eastern League days drew 78,000 plus fans total for the whole season in 1982. Baseball was in trouble and ready to leave Buffalo until Bob Rich. My point Buffalo wasn't a Eastern League double-a city but it didn't mean it wasn't a good baseball town which it is.

Bob Rich had the money to get Buffalo to triple-a again first with the American Association where we had several seasons drawing over 1 million fans and then our right full place the IL which is our proper fit. That is what is needed in Buffalo in my opinion. Someone to step up and get us a D-League franchise.

There is a pro basketball market here in Buffalo but not in a league that has no NBA affliation. So yes I saying Buffalo needs the NBA seal of approval. If that makes us sports snobs so be it. It is my opinion and in my opinion it is the right choice for Buffalo I lived here for 42 years and have seen alot of Buffalo sports going back to 1975. So I disagree with you about the PBL in Buffalo LightningMan it is done in my opinion it is just a matter of when now.

Also I disagree with you on the Major Leagues for Buffalo. We are in the right league the IL for our size of city. MLB is cable tv and big money clubs Buffalo doesn't fit that bill so I think Bob Rich made the right choice.

As for Buffalo and Cleveland don't blame Buffalo it was your gm that traded away good players that the Buffalo Bisons helped developed they won for us championships. Too bad the Cleveland Indians made so many bad decissions and based them on quick fixes and money.

As for the NBA I never said NBA should be back in Buffalo that ship has sailed long ago but at the time it happened it was a bad decission by the NBA in my opinion. Buffalo at that time was a bigger city then and wasn't the worst attended team in the NBA for that time period. The NBA let alot of monkey business go on back then before Larry Bird and Magic Johnson era in my opinion.

How many NBA teams sell off Kobe Bryant or LeBron James that is what happened in Buffalo? The Buffalo Braves traded three time scoring star and NBA MVP in 1975 a superstar in Bob McAdoo and also threw in Tom McMillen to the New York Knicks and the Buffalo Braves received John Gianelli and cash in return.

The Buffalo Braves sold our Kobe Bryant at the time Bob McAdoo for $3 million dollars that was the cash in return and this was nothing more then selling off of Bob McAdoo because our owner Paul Synder didn't want to pay him because his contract was due to expire and he was in the process of selling the team off and making a huge profit. Which is his right he owns the team so who am I to question that I just a Buffalo sports fan. But you show me one sports market where that wouldn't have a affect on a teams attendance. Buffalo isn't a NBA city anymore due to our shrinking and aging population.

But to say Buffalo isn't a D-League city is just wrong and I disagree with that whole thought process that is very misinformed about Buffalo as a sports city basing it on the poor ABA and PBL they way they run there sorry leagues. Our Buffalo area has a metro of 1 million people and were not capable as a D-League city spare me with that. That is just plain Buffalo bashing in my opinion. The NBA and D-League is a business. The NBA isn't going to base what happened with the Buffalo Braves NBA or the ABA and PBL on us potentially getting a D-League team someday.

There going to look at market size. Buffalo market size is shrinking for major league sports because of luxuary boxes but don't confuse that for high level affliated with a major league team minor league sports. Buffalo in my opinion would be the king of minor league pro sports that are affliated with a major league because of the cities sports passion that is here. If we see the day that let's say the Buffalo Bills NFL potentially leave the market for potential Los Angeles you watch how many sports business owners will want a shot at this Buffalo market for minor league sports to try to go after that former Buffalo Bills ticket money and also all the potential sponsorship money that would no longer being going to the Buffalo Bills. Buffalo has alot of little businesses that will potentially bring a D-League owner money with the NBA seal of approval meaning the sponsor knows that players will be paid and a real effort will be put forth for value for the pontential sponsor because fans actual go because it isn't fly by night operation.

Leagues like the UFL, CFL, Arena Football and D-League I will guerantee you will come calling because of our market size don't kid yourself that what happened with the PBL will have no barring at all in my opinion. Did you ever think that it might be why the Buffalo Stampede are trying to hang on because they see if they can get sponsors on board they could have a potential gold mind. Believe me Buffalo isn't the problem it is the Buffalo Stampede and the PBL. Think about it our Buffalo market that you are ripping sucks so much all we have is a NFL, NHL, NCAA Division 1 athletics, IL triple-a baseball and NLL lacrosse. It isn't the market it is the Buffalo Stampede and the PBL. The NBA and the D-League will see that in my opinion.

Owners will see potential $$ signs in there eyes and head with Buffalo. They will see a Buffalo that is 1 million metro that goes to games in snow storms. Minor league teams don't need the same luxuary box levels that a NFL or NHL needs less is need as long as you are gate driven. Buffalo is a gate driven town that is why we are surviving now in the NFL and NHL because we show up and be counted. Before you say but that is major league what about minor league it is different. I agree LightningMan it is different majors and minors and I will point to the Buffalo Bisons IL success and also the Buffalo Bandits NLL indoor lacrosse over 17,000 average per game in 2009 and over 16,000 average fans per game in 2010 in a bad economy for a 8 home games for the Buffalo Bandits. The fans are here but you have to do it right which the ABA and PBL have failed badly in my opinion.

I wouldn't want you to be a owner LightningMan choosing Erie over Buffalo would cost me money if I was a owner. Buffalo is a perfect place for a D-League team someone like the Toronto Raptors as the affliate would draw well. The Toronto Raptors still haven't picked a city yet for there D-League team so I wouldn't be so sure about Buffalo not getting a D-League team in the future LightningMan. Let's Go Buffalo
Last edited by Buffalo Super Fan on Sat May 22, 2010 11:06 pm, edited 8 times in total.

ABARedWhiteBlue
Site Admin

Post by ABARedWhiteBlue » Sat May 22, 2010 7:23 am

[quote=""Buffalo Super Fan""]Let's Go Buffalo[/quote]

Well, they listened to you. They went:

http://www.thepbl.com/article.cfm?id=304
Premier Basketball League Reorganizes

05/21/2010 04:42 PM

As the Premier Basketball League prepares for the 2010-2011 season, its fourth year of existence, the PBL’s Board of Directors has commenced changes to allow the league to grow and thrive. With the announcement of new teams to be made in the next few weeks, it is necessary that adherence to the league operating standards of a team must be met.

After a review of the operations of all teams that participated in the PBL’s 2009-10 season, it was determined that the Buffalo Stampede, a team that has been part of the PBL since the 2008-09 season, will not participate in the PBL’s upcoming season.

“We appreciate the efforts that Vinnie Lesh and the Buffalo Stampede have given for the past two seasons,” said Dr. Sev Hrywnak, Chairman of the Board of the Premier Basketball League. “Unfortunately, there have been some operational obstacles that have not allowed the Stampede to reach their full potential, and have kept the team from being able to compete on a level playing field with other teams in the PBL.”

LightningMan
Site Admin

Post by LightningMan » Sat May 22, 2010 7:31 am

[quote=""Buffalo Super Fan""] I don't know what you're talking about LightningMan about becareful what you wish for?[/quote]
You wanted the Buffalo Stampede ownership to be held to a higher standard. Well, they have been, a standard so high that the Stampede have been kicked out of the league.

[quote=""Buffalo Super Fan""]LightingMan you're in love with Erie so be it. I am telling you Erie Bayhawks time will tell. I have been to that city of Erie my brother went to college at Gannon University. It is a small city that I believe if the D-League wants to be at least losing less money in the future needs cities Buffalo size not Erie sorry I disagree. [/quote]
I never said I was in love with Erie. (For the record, Erie is a nice enough town; I have taken a few day trips there in my day.) I said the Bayhawks are exactly where the owner wanted them to be and the "almost major league" nature of Buffalo would be a problem that the Cavs would like to avoid, as it worked to the Indians disadvantage previously.

[quote=""Buffalo Super Fan""]So I disagree with you about the PBL in Buffalo, LightningMan. It is done in my opinion it is just a matter of when now.[/quote]
They're done now. And where did I say that Buffalo should accept or would accept the PBL? I'm pretty sure I said they were a bad fit.

[quote=""Buffalo Super Fan""]As for Buffalo and Cleveland don't blame Buffalo it was your gm that traded away good players that the Buffalo Bisons helped developed they won for us championships. Too bad the Cleveland Indians made so many bad decissions and based them on quick fixes and money. [/quote]
I haven't blamed the Buffalo Bisons for anything. They were a good AAA affiliate to the Tribe and I wish them luck with their new affiliation. As to the problems with the Indians, you could write a book about them (and several people have).

[quote=""Buffalo Super Fan""]As for the NBA I never said NBA should be back in Buffalo that ship has sailed long ago but at the time it happened it was a bad decission by the NBA in my opinion. Buffalo at that time was a bigger city then and wasn't the worst attended team in the NBA for that time period. The NBA let alot of monkey business go on back then before Larry Bird and Magic Johnson era in my opinion.[/quote]
What I said is that the NBA on the major league or D-League level wants no part of Buffalo. I stand by that.

[quote=""Buffalo Super Fan""]Our Buffalo area has a metro of 1 million people and were not capable as a D-League city spare me with that.[/quote]
I didn't say that. I said the NBA doesn't want back in Buffalo.

[quote=""Buffalo Super Fan""]Our Buffalo market that you are ripping sucks so much all we have is a NFL, NHL, NCAA Division 1 athletics, IL triple-a baseball and NLL lacrosse.[/quote]
Yeah. I know. I've also been to Buffalo numerous times. You're "almost major league" and that's why I think you're doomed as far as the NBA and the D-League are concerned.

[quote=""Buffalo Super Fan""]Buffalo is a gate driven town that is why we are surviving now in the NFL and NHL because we show up and be counted.[/quote]
And yet the Bills are playing test games in Toronto.

[quote=""Buffalo Super Fan""]I wouldn't want you to be a owner LightningMan choosing Erie over Buffalo would cost me money if I was a owner.[/quote]
And yet the owner of the Bayhawks did just that.

[quote=""Buffalo Super Fan""]The Toronto Raptors still haven't picked a city yet for their D-League team so I wouldn't be so sure about Buffalo not getting a D-League team in the future LightningMan.[/quote]
As I said, I have been wrong before and it's entirely possible I may be wrong now. But I don't think so.

With the Stampede officially out, I wish you well in whatever else you'll be doing.

psbf
Site Admin

Post by psbf » Sat May 22, 2010 2:41 pm

I've been reading this thread, I'm sorry that Buffalo is now out. BSF, you express hope for a D-League team for your city. If they can't support PBL, how are they going to get into the D-League?
I think your best hope is to make the trip to Erie and support the Bayhawks where I've seen great turnouts in their box scores.

Return to “PBL”