Would Bangor/Brewer make sense?

The Premier Basketball League (PBL) forum
panchess
Site Admin

Post by panchess » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:16 pm

Big arenas are a problem. The Times Union Center in Albany didn't work for the Patroons or River Rats, and soon both will be good. The curtains may hide the seats for TV, but it's still part of the overhead of the arena.

As for Buffalo, Canisius gave up on downtown due to slack attendance. A D-League game in the HSBC Arena would look really empty unless you papered the house.

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:31 pm

[quote=""bdaly""]Whatever -- I wasn't trying to turn this into a comparative between the leagues. I think most people have enough respect for their time to deal with the skill difference to save four hours. I much prefer live events, but I'd find something on TV versus making that trip every game. Judging by crowds in the D-League, it's not that much of a draw in the general public's eyes -- it's all pretty obscure. Minor league basketball as a whole isn't. That's not new.
[/quote]
...but I'm not talking about the average D-League team. I'm talking about the Maine Red Claws, which by the way, draw quite well. I'm also talking about the Boston Celtics, where by the way, Red Claws players have call-ups. You can't get that experience from another league. You're still talking about MapQuest.

...and what of the non-pro basketball sports factors? Travel partners? Remember, the title of this thread is would Bangor/Brewer make sense?

[quote=""bdaly""]
I don't really believe boatloads of people are traveling from Bangor to Portland for minor league ball. But, if they are, which seemed to be where you were going with your comments about the Portland team, then there is a stronger case than I suspected. But, regardless of the newspaper coverage you identified, I doubt the number is significant.[/quote]
You doubt the numbers are significant. I doubt the numbers aren't significant, especially considering Maine's sparse population.

bectond
Site Admin

Post by bectond » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:17 pm

[quote=""nksports""]That is a completely different model. The Lakers don't use the the D-Fenders for revenue. Until this season, they didn't even sell tickets (Laker season ticket holders could attend games). The closest comparisons would be: 1. the high school JV game, or 2. in the English Premier League (and until a couple of years ago, the MLS), the Sunday morning reserve game. They truly are the D in the D-League.
Most of the other teams are using the league like Class AAA baseball.[/quote]

Actually, one team the Houston Rockets uses the D-league in a AAA baseball style program, a few teams run both the business and team operations, but most NBA teams sadly use the D-league as a Temp service.
Basketball Junkie and Rummikub Champion

LandoG
Site Admin

Post by LandoG » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:37 am

PaulD, thanks for the info on the local Bangor sporting scene. From reading your post, the argument could be made that the hoops market is already saturated. I would then argue that PBL basketball (while being ravines below the D-League!! standard) would still be the best ball in town and would attract fans, if smartly priced (I'm basing this on a loose comparison with the AUS, since I haven't seen the Black Bears play either). Enough fans/corporate interest to survive? Since it is not my cash on the line, I will say yes, without any doubt.

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:33 am

[quote=""LandoG""]PaulD, thanks for the info on the local Bangor sporting scene. From reading your post, the argument could be made that the hoops market is already saturated. I would then argue that PBL basketball (while being ravines below the D-League!! standard) would still be the best ball in town and would attract fans, if smartly priced (I'm basing this on a loose comparison with the AUS, since I haven't seen the Black Bears play either). Enough fans/corporate interest to survive? Since it is not my cash on the line, I will say yes, without any doubt.[/quote]

Whew! The answer is yes. Finally you gave your best guess and answered the question. 8)

Me? The answer would be no. Why put yourself behind the eight ball before getting out of the gate? A junior hockey team to complement (yes, complement) the University of Maine's strong hockey program would be more appropriate. Exploit Bangor's strengths instead of trying to force a square peg into a round hole.

LandoG
Site Admin

Post by LandoG » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:22 am

Whew! The answer is yes. Finally you gave your best guess and answered the question.

:infun: ...yeah, I figured it was about time I delivered a verdict considering I started this thread.

As for the junior hockey idea, not sure if I agree with you because unlike the PBL example (best level in town), major junior is not as high a level of hockey as college/university, at least in Canada. QMJHL is presently playing in Lewiston (best uniforms in the league imho) to mixed reviews. Do any Bangor folks travel to Lewiston to watch the Mainiacs play? My guess would be very few. The argument you make with regards to a junior team complimenting the UofM hockey team could also just as easily be applied to the PBL and uni/high school in the area. Not really sure if either is correct, though.
Last edited by LandoG on Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:40 pm

Yes, I agree major junior hockey would not be as high as the university level. That's why I emphasized complement instead of using compliment. Junior hockey and college hockey would be whole in Bangor. It's possible for fans to follow their favorite players through the entire development process since U of Maine has such a good program. I don't think that can be done with high school straight to PBL, nor should it be done IMO.

misenern
Site Admin

PBL expansion

Post by misenern » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:32 pm

On the topic of expansion, here is an article from Metro Halifax:
PBL could feature more Canadian teams by 2011 season
MATTHEW WUEST
METRO HALIFAX
April 07, 2010 1:26 a.m.

The Premier Basketball League is eyeing expansion to Canada and has New Brunswick and Ontario in its crosshairs.

The PBL, which currently has eight franchises and only two in Canada, is examining expansion possibilities for the 2011 season in Saint John and Moncton in New Brunswick and Guelph and Hamilton in Ontario.

“We’re actively talking to a couple of ownership groups and talking to a couple of markets,” said Andre Levingston, owner of the Halifax Rainmen and the PBL’s director of Canadian business development. “We would like to see at least two more teams in Canada next year and we’re working hard.”

The Rainmen and Quebec Kebs are the two Canadian teams currently in the PBL. Franchises in Ontario and New Brunswick would allow American clubs to make as many as four stops on road trips to Canada, while a team in New Brunswick would make an ideal Maritime rival for the Rainmen.

“There are some really good markets (in New Brunswick) that can add to some rivalries with Halifax and Quebec,” Levingston said. “Moncton could be really exciting for a lot of different reasons and Saint John is an inviting market.”

Levingston said the “entertainment dollar is all over the place” in bigger markets such as Toronto and that “there’s no use competing with that.”

He added that Canadian PBL expansion is “really important for the growth of the sport” in the country.

The 2011 season opens in January.

LandoG
Site Admin

Post by LandoG » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:31 pm

aw man, not Moncton, it'll never work there. Common Andre, you must have business friends from the Bangor area!?!

LandoG
Site Admin

Post by LandoG » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:35 pm

That's why I emphasized complement instead of using compliment.

...way too smert for your own good, Steelhead. ;)
Last edited by LandoG on Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “PBL”