D league NOT happy with Arcebio.. they are ok with BSN

The Premier Basketball League (PBL) forum
bectond
Site Admin

Post by bectond » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:26 am

This is good news, a 10K bond would only cost a team between 300 and 1000, unless they brake the terms of the leagues rules and regulations. You guys should also make each team contribute to a league wide travel fund. The teams with the most overall mileage traveled would pay a larger % of the travel cost.(Take the total amount of miles each team travels, add them together and Divide the total mileage by the mileage each team travels to get each teams % owed) That way teams like Halifax won't get hosed.
Last edited by bectond on Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Basketball Junkie and Rummikub Champion

supermofonga
Site Admin

Post by supermofonga » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:37 am

When did PR become a banana republic? You must check your geography knowledge people but since we are talking basketball here, let’s just stick to that.
It would be important that the people making comments about the BSN on this thread understand its rules, maybe then they might be less harsh in their comments. Arecibo is allowed only ONE player that is not Puertorrican or of puertorrican descent. Most other teams in the league are allowed two. Simms was that ONE player. He played great basketball in the PBL but showed no interest in playing at the same level in the BSN games. You must understand the importance to the ARECIBO Capitanes team, the level of performance of one that player. During his last game on the island, against archrival Piratas, he again showed the same lack of energy and commitment to the game he had been showing in other BSN games. HE WAS NOT having great numbers like you state.
Where did you hear that the Capitanes are a team with a bad reputation? First news! Capitanes are a financially sound team with the highest fan attendance on the island for, at least, the last four seasons.

Precious Roy
Site Admin

Post by Precious Roy » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:13 pm

The biggest part of me is just curious why Arecibo decided to play in the PBL in the first place. They were a dominating team that was built for the BSN, so why play in a different league where there was a chance for them to get a player injured and hurt their chances when the real season came along.

supermofonga
Site Admin

Why

Post by supermofonga » Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:13 am

We have asked ourselves the same question and the answer we got made sense. When questioned on this matter by the PR media, the Arecibo owner and the coach said that by playing in the PBL they were looking to keep the players busy for a longer period of time than just the duration of our BSN season. Normally, a lot of PR players compete in other leagues in Mexico, Venezuela etc.. Top Capitanes players, like Ayuso and Guillermo Diaz go to Europe. Lately some players have gone to play in China and Japan as well. These commitments abroad make them arrive late and many are not available to play throughout all of the BSN season. Fans of the PBL never got to see Capitanes Guillermo Diaz as he is still in Italy.

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:38 pm

...or the Capitanes needed (wanted?) extra revenue and thought extra home dates through PBL membership was the path to take.

[quote=""supermofonga""]...Capitanes are a financially sound team with the highest fan attendance on the island for, at least, the last four seasons.[/quote]

Financially sound teams pay their bills. There is a lot more to this story.

panchess
Site Admin

Post by panchess » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:37 pm

The theory sounded good with the Albany Patroons in the USBL too. The results were awful.

Soccer teams that tried indoor/outdoor hybrids failed too. For whatever reason, the two-league, longer season just doesn't work with the fans.

supermofonga
Site Admin

Post by supermofonga » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:16 pm

Like I said before, the reason was to offer the players another source of LOCAL income; trying to keep them close to home. The organization was trying to avoid players making commitments in other leagues worldwide that would force them to miss BSN games.
I don’t think the extra revenue in tickets sales happened. Fans did not take to the PBL games, they really did not care if we beat Buffalo or Halifax or whatever. They could not find in the PBL games the rivalry and history that some of our local league games provide, a league we have played since 1946.
Regular games in Arecibo see close to 7,000 fans, playoffs can get close to 12,000 officially but I can assure you it is much more. Also, Capitanes have about 2,000 season ticket holders. Maybe it would have taken time but, for the time it lasted, the PBL matchups were uninteresting to most of our fans. PBL did not pull anything close to BSN numbers.
By the way, in the only declaration the Capitanes organization has made on the PBL matter, they insisted that Arecibo doesn’t owe a penny to anybody. They refused any further comments for the time being as lawyers for the team were working on the situation. In the same interview, when asked, they did not discount filing a suit against the PBL in the US federal court in PR.

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:13 am

[quote=""supermofonga""]Like I said before, the reason was to offer the players another source of LOCAL income; trying to keep them close to home. The organization was trying to avoid players making commitments in other leagues worldwide that would force them to miss BSN games.
[/quote]
Is that the only reason? The BSN has been around for 81 years. What was done in the past to keep players close to home? For example, an indoor football team in Montana finds jobs and lodging throughout the year to keep players close. This I know is a fact because the secretary is a Facebook friend.
[quote=""supermofonga""]
I don’t think the extra revenue in tickets sales happened. Fans did not take to the PBL games, they really did not care if we beat Buffalo or Halifax or whatever. They could not find in the PBL games the rivalry and history that some of our local league games provide, a league we have played since 1946.
Regular games in Arecibo see close to 7,000 fans, playoffs can get close to 12,000 officially but I can assure you it is much more. Also, Capitanes have about 2,000 season ticket holders. Maybe it would have taken time but, for the time it lasted, the PBL matchups were uninteresting to most of our fans. PBL did not pull anything close to BSN numbers.
[/quote]
This may be closer to what actually happened. The expected extra revenue in ticket sales didn't occur. The Capitanes probably stopped paying bills because the revenue wasn't coming in. It's happened before in minor league sports. It's history, but people refuse to learn.
[quote=""supermofonga""]
By the way, in the only declaration the Capitanes organization has made on the PBL matter, they insisted that Arecibo doesn’t owe a penny to anybody. They refused any further comments for the time being as lawyers for the team were working on the situation. In the same interview, when asked, they did not discount filing a suit against the PBL in the US federal court in PR.
[/quote]
Don't get me wrong. I think the PBL brass are bad businesspeople for entering into so many boneheaded agreements. They're horrible, in fact. However, I find it difficult to believe Puerto Rico Arecibo doesn't owe a penny to anybody. Why do I find it difficult to believe? History again. Last season, the PBL Augusta Groove team wrote $15,000 worth of bad checks to an Augusta hotel. The hotel manager says it happened. The Augusta Groove owner claims he does not owe the money. I'll believe the hotel manager. If a hotel manager comes forward and says Arecibo Capitanes owes money, then I will believe that hotel manager as well. If only some of what is said about the Capitanes is true, then the Capitanes ownership are just another in the list of deadbeat ownership groups. This causes everyone else to pay more as costs are passed on.

supermofonga
Site Admin

Post by supermofonga » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:37 am

I would not put my hands on fire for anybody, Capitanes owner included. I am just repeating what it is being said around town. They are still insisting they want to finish playing the PBL and will fight in court to be reinstated.
This whole thing about Capitanes running out of money, well, it just doesn’t make much sense. PBL says the problem was for payments end of Feb, right? Arecibo was well into the sale of their season tickets by then. BSN tickets are more expensive. But then, what do I know!! Maybe they are just flat out irresponsible and that is the way the team operates, as you say, but wouldn’t we, here in PR, have had echoes of that before? The owner is a very religious person that really does not seem to fit the type.
What was done before to keep players here? Well, it was another kind of league entirely. The money the players make abroad and what they make here these days?? …. Some guys are in six figures just for BSN play alone. They could never make that kind of money staying here in regular jobs. Most are close to doubling their income by going abroad. The big guns will probably always go but the other ones, they could have benefited from PBL playtime if it had worked.

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:11 am

The BSN season ticket revenue was for the BSN season. The question is, how much other money was available for the PBL season?

Return to “PBL”