Puerto Rico has just dropped out of the PBL

The Premier Basketball League (PBL) forum
preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:25 am

I'm still sorting through the rest. I will post back as I get more info from all the relevant parties.

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:48 am

[quote=""Pounder""]Let me offer an alternative thinking train here.

If you require a bond, how many teams remain in this league?

(Same question is to be asked of everyone else not associated with the NBA)

Next thing is to expect someone like one way to start on his "leagues should pursue better capitalized owners" rant.

My excruciatingly annoying response to that would be in the form of a question: "why do you hate minor league basketball?"

In other words, we get this because minor league basketball can't attract good owners in the first place.

What do you do with that if you have an established team trying to make it in this cruel world?

Do you throw the baby out with the bathwater? Or is there a baby to throw?[/quote]

I had the same question in another thread and I think few of these teams (if any) can actually post a substantial bond. There isn't a baby to throw. Before the season, I wasn't repeatedly saying the PBL should sit out the season for the sake of flapping my gums. I honestly thought they and their member franchises needed to regroup and recapitalize.
Last edited by Ken, Steelheads fan on Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: substantial not substanial. One day I will learn to spell. Until then I must edit.

not so fast
Site Admin

Post by not so fast » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:00 am

I have a question. all of this investigating, and reliving the past which is done and over with, what does this accomplish? I guess I am saying, is it that we want the PBL to crash and burn?

Do we want it to go away? I sure don't. I was an early fan, and then an early critic of the league. I know it has its challenges. but if they fold, all we have is the ibl, aba, wba, and nbdl. Those all are not the best options for players trying to further their career.

In spite of all of the problems that the pbl has had, I stand by the success that has seen many players go on and play internationally after playing in the league.

Sometimes I wonder what the top brass are doing, but as I have stated many of times, after meeting the Doc, and Carrie, I know they are good people. doyle seems like a good guy, though I don't really know him.

One thing is certain, they are not doing this for the money. They are probably losing a lot of their own money. I know ken will say its about their egos. Well, one thing is for sure, if they read these boards, there ego will be torn down in minutes.

These boards are non stop critique and assault on their decision making, and motives on a daily basis.

Anyway thats my 2 cents, and juniper and sonnie, I still love what battle creek did, it was one of the most amazing jobs done by a minorleage organization, with such a small limited budget. No one will ever be able to deny that!

South Atlantic
Site Admin

Post by South Atlantic » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:13 am

Not sure if anyone wants the PBL to go away but certainly be held to a degree of accountability. I know plenty of nice folks with great intentions but that isnt a sound proof plan for success. Their press releases relinquish all blame from the PBL and put it on the player/team/owner/etc. If my records are correct, the PBL front office has never done anything wrong! Being privy to conference calls in the past, there are always a threat of a lawsuit if teams don't do this, or don't do that. I swear the conference calls are nothing more than a showcase for one of the particular owners.

I agree with Ken that the Press Releases are too wordy, too much info. Be short, consice and quick with the information that the public needs to know. I also wonder outside of the few people on this board, who does actually care about this league...does Buffalo fans know that PR is out?

Could there have been a way to avoid the egg on the face? Probably, but there are ego's involved on both sides of the fence.

But the bottom line is PR is out, lawsuits (how many can a minor league basketball group be involved with in such a short period of time) are coming and the playoffs are set. And no, Battle Creek will not be a late addition to the playoffs, that only happens in the ABA.

sonnie20
Site Admin

Post by sonnie20 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:43 am

Please ask the league if they threatened to sue us if we didn't play the game after they changed the format. Also check with the Hotel that was owed money as well.

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

What racing patch??? Do you mean the free one?

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:37 pm

[quote=""Juniper""]E-Mail the BC owner. His e-mail is listed on one of the post. Call those places, they will tell you they have not been paid. Lightningman, call those places. Why would I, Sonnie and now Time Out share these things? Myself, I just want people to know the truth. I have also said, try and find something negative about the BC owners. You can't, cause they did things the right way. In the 6 years they owned the team, find one player that did not get paid or there check bounced. Find a vendor that was not paid. You can't. Look forward to hearing from Preeths after he has made his phone call's. Why would you believe what Doyle is saying is the truth. Is it not funny that you have not heard anything from PR. There is more to this then what we have been told by Doyles press release. PR has been told not to say anything in public while this case is pending.[/quote]

Afterall, the PBL would never lie when things start going south.

[quote=""a1sports""]A good question....who was first in this idea.
A call to Carrie at PBL office.

According to carrie:

The process was started around thanksgiving time 2008. Lots of dealing with Dempsey agent and ABC televsion of what can be said and done.
Then ABC had to do lots of due diligence, they had to fill out lots of questionaires etc etc. The deal was approved sometime in march. Wasnt easy but the response has been excellent so far lots of press calling about info on atsports , surgical show and PBL. She did say that ATsportsTV, PBL and Seelivesurgery are all PBL companies. The surgery show involves dempsey coming to Chicago and actually being in the docs operating room while an athelete is being operated on and people can text in during the show and ask questions. So all three companies are inter- related.

I tried to sneak in a question about who is not comming back,....she hesitated and said a press release will be out soon.[/quote]
{Emphasis is mine}
Never. Battle Creek must be wrong.

[quote=""a1sports""]Lets set this one straight, if even just for Ken fish head, since he has been talking out the wrong end on this.

The demsey race car. This comming right from Doc. The Doc is filming a reality show that is to be seeen starting fall 2010. The show takes place at his surgical hospital in Chicago and the first guest is Patrick dempsey. Dempsey did it for a sponorship of $ 300,000 to his Lemans race car. That is why you see on the car and on the racing uniform the surgery logo. That money was from the surigical business NOT from the PBL. With a few places still left on the car and on the uniform, Dempsey said you can put on atsports and PBL logos for no charge.

So end it Ken fish head with your less than educated guesses of who what when and why this is wrong. It had nothing to do with the PBL....[/quote]
{Emphasis is mine}

Juniper
Site Admin

Post by Juniper » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:03 pm

In the old CBA days, that is what they did things. Each tam had to put $100 grand in a trust through the league. That way if a team folded and still owed bills, they would be taken care of. If teams can't do this, they should not be allowed in the league. NSF, I don't want kids missing out on oportunities. You know as well as I do, we need a league with integrity. So do these players we are trying to help. As I have said before, start a league with a Commissioner that does not have a team in the league. The league is owned by the owners. They make the decissions. Each team put's money in a trust. If we had a league like this, and it will happen. We will be able to help these young people. We can't pay the players like the old days, but we can still pay them so they can send money back to there families. I still say you would be a good Commissioner NSF.
Last edited by Juniper on Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

runninref
Site Admin

Post by runninref » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:29 pm

Juniper, we do have a league like this. It is called the BSN. :mrgreen:

supermofonga
Site Admin

Post by supermofonga » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:45 am

PR did not drop out of the PBL, the PBL dropped them. There was still no official communication to the Capitanes the league was taking such an action. They posted on their website the announcement of their decision along with a series of lame excuses justifying themselves. Such professionalism!! What a coincidence that a team that profits from this action is owned by a person who took the decision!
The president of the ABA just issued a comment in support of the Capitanes that is highly critical of the PBL actions. Maybe you can find it online. It was published in PR by El Nuevo Dia.
Your comment about handling both leagues: We Capitanes fans were worried as well but the team has been responding beautifully. We are sitting comfortably in first place with a 7-1 record.
What a shame!!

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:37 am

[quote=""supermofonga""]The president of the ABA just issued a comment in support of the Capitanes that is highly critical of the PBL actions.[/quote]

Pot, kettle. Kettle, pot.

Return to “PBL”