Puerto Rico has just dropped out of the PBL

The Premier Basketball League (PBL) forum
Precious Roy
Site Admin

Post by Precious Roy » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:29 am

The plane trip was to get to Halifax so they could play there. They also pulled a lot of crap about hotels not being nice enough, them complaining that the van rides from the airport weren't nice enough and demanded charter buses for their troubles, all at the other owner's expenses.

not so fast
Site Admin

Post by not so fast » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:50 am

well I heard horror stories about the hotel/motel in Puerto rico that housed the visiting teams.

The league will have to focus back next season on getting teams in the midwest again. Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky and maybe Ohio. There has to be at least 3- or 4 potential markets somewhere in there. (hopefully the aba has not ruined them all)

bectond
Site Admin

Post by bectond » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:56 am

OK so some of the low budget PBL teams arranged for PR to stay in conditions they felt were beneath them. Then after insulting the locals they miss a flight to Halifax.

This is where I get confused, normally when I miss a flight the airline just puts me on the next flight, why didn't PR just catch the next flight?

Secondly, are they the first team to miss a flight? Does the league have guidelines that dictate how these occurrences should be handled?
These payment deadlines, were they adhoc demands or league guidelines that were clearly outlined prior to the season?

And once again why did Halifax have to pay instead of the league? Why don't all the teams pool their resources together for these type of instances. Why should one team foot the bill?
Basketball Junkie and Rummikub Champion

wellington
Site Admin

Post by wellington » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:58 am

[quote=""bectond""]OK so some of the low budget PBL teams arranged for PR to stay in conditions they felt were beneath them. Then after insulting the locals they miss a flight to Halifax.

This is where I get confused, normally when I miss a flight the airline just puts me on the next flight, why didn't PR just catch the next flight?

Secondly, are they the first team to miss a flight? Does the league have guidelines that dictate how these occurrences should be handled?
These payment deadlines, were they adhoc demands or league guidelines that were clearly outlined prior to the season?

And once again why did Halifax have to pay instead of the league? Why don't all the teams pool their resources together for these type of instances. Why should one team foot the bill?[/quote]
It definitely seems like there is more to the story...

one way
Site Admin

Post by one way » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:33 am

what about all of that due dilligence and money that was supposed to be in escrow from all of the owners? More lies by the PBL brass. They rushed to get these teams up and running just to show the ABA that they can do it better. The PBL thumbed it's nose at the CBA. Dallas, Rockford, Chicago, Arkansas, etc. etc. etc. and now Puerto Rico. The league itself had to bring in Maryland just to fill out the schedule. Buffalo is a joke. A former CBA team with CBA players is pounding teams by 50 points. China deal, revenue sharing, league wide sponsorships. Say what you want, but for being the "premier" league, it smells allot like the ABA after all.

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

...and did Halifax just pay for tickets without first knowing they would be repaid?

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:43 am

[quote=""bectond""]WTF, they miss a flight and that leds to their "expulsion", does the league require teams to put up any surety funds? That is normally standard operating procedure, the league takes the rainy day funds and pays for the airfare. (Why was Halifax involved?)[/quote]
Bingo!
[quote=""bectond""]OK so some of the low budget PBL teams arranged for PR to stay in conditions they felt were beneath them. Then after insulting the locals they miss a flight to Halifax.

And once again why did Halifax have to pay instead of the league? Why don't all the teams pool their resources together for these type of instances. Why should one team foot the bill?[/quote]
Bingo!

Guidelines clearly outlined prior to the season??? Surely you jest. That sort of organization is reserved for actual leagues. This is the PBL. As I stated in another thread, a performance bond or Surety bond as you refer to it would have solved the whole problem. Want to upgrade your rooms? No problem. The difference comes out of your bond. Want a more expensive flight? No problem. Out of your bond. Want to ride a coach instead of vans? No problem.
[quote=""wellington""]It definitely seems like there is more to the story...[/quote]
Bingo again! A triple play.

misenern
Site Admin

Post by misenern » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:44 am

From the Metro Rainmentwitter feed (again):
metrorainmen Metro will have the full story on the Capitanes in Tuesday's edition.
32 minutes ago via web

metrorainmen Doyle said the Capitanes left Rainmen owner Andre Levingston the hook for a $12,000 chartered flight to save a March 21 game in Halifax.
32 minutes ago via web

metrorainmen The Capitanes were kicked out of the PBL because of a “blatant disregard for league rules,” according to commissioner Tom Doyle.
33 minutes ago via web

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:17 am

[quote=""one way""]what about all of that due dilligence and money that was supposed to be in escrow from all of the owners? More lies by the PBL brass. They rushed to get these teams up and running just to show the ABA that they can do it better. The PBL thumbed it's nose at the CBA. Dallas, Rockford, Chicago, Arkansas, etc. etc. etc. and now Puerto Rico. The league itself had to bring in Maryland just to fill out the schedule. Buffalo is a joke. A former CBA team with CBA players is pounding teams by 50 points. China deal, revenue sharing, league wide sponsorships. Say what you want, but for being the "premier" league, it smells allot like the ABA after all.[/quote]
Bingo again! Fore.... Well, four times. 8)

CHris902
Site Admin

Post by CHris902 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:23 am

Part of Halifax's deal to be in the PBL is that they, not the league, subsidize the majority of visiting teams' travel costs. My understanding of the situation with PR is that Halifax already paid once for the tickets from Boston to Halifax, PR missed the PR to Boston flight for some inexplicable reason and as a result missed their connection from Boston to Halifax. Rainmen paid for flights from Boston to Halifax in order to avoid having the game canceled as a result of the Capitanes' screw up. The Capitanes' ownership may or may not have promised to pay part or all of those costs. I don't think that this on its own would lead to expulsion but it's part of a wider pattern of generally treating the rest of the league like crap and forcing other teams to pay for things they can't afford just to make sure the games get played.

I think that this ultimately comes down to massive egos and douchebaggery from the Capitane's management, but also the much pointed out fact that there is no performance bond. PR getting booted out of the PBL hurts the PBL more than it hurts the Capitanes.
The PBL can't continue like this year to year. They need to find some way to solidify things around the league. They need eight teams to make this viable, but I really wonder if there are even eight ownership groups who can compete in a national (or even regional) league who aren't already involved with the d-league.

Buffalo Super Fan
Site Admin

Post by Buffalo Super Fan » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:05 am

I think next year the PBL basketball should go to a single entity set up like MLS soccer. Where the PBL signs all the players and coaches then assign them to the individual PBL teams. Because there are to many haves and have nots now in the PBL there was no real playoff race in the PBL we all knew who was going to make it and who wasn't so it makes alot of these games meaningless.

Then atleast as a Buffalo Stampede fan we know we are getting a quality minor league basketball player and coach. Also the player and coaches contract is for the whole PBL season with no getting out of the contract no exceptions until the PBL season is over like the UFL football. No NBA, no D-League or Europe no exceptions if you don't want to sign good we will find some else that is serious about playing in the PBL. You can't market a player in a town when he can be gone in a week.

That would be my sugestions how to fix the PBL for next year. If not your going to have more of this and then as a PBL league your going no where. Let's Go Buffalo
The above post is in my opinion and I have no proof or link. I am just a Buffalo sports fan.

Return to “PBL”