2010 Predictions

The Premier Basketball League (PBL) forum
Buffalo Super Fan
Site Admin

Post by Buffalo Super Fan » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:51 pm

Buffalo may not be paying much but atleast our bills are paid. The Buffalo Stampede owner is paying what he can afford to pay all PBL owners should do that so teams would comeback every year and you can build a following.

You have to understand I know a friend that is working selling ads for the Buffalo Stampede PBL and it is tough go. I haven't talked to him in a while I will catch up when I see him at a Buffalo Stampede PBL game this year. Because the Buffalo Rapids ABA burned alot of Buffalo businesses. Buffalo local businessmen would tell my friend the horra stories of the first ABA team here under owner Gary Nice from Arizona I think was his name. I was a fan of that team too along with the Buffalo Silverbacks ABA.

Gary Nice lied to everyone including the players promising them the moon then run away if any minor league basketball fans remember that far back with the Buffalo Rapids ABA.
Buffalo draws 500 to 800 to the KAC so what do you expect with salaries. Buffalo will be fine our travel is close to Rochester where you can bus it or take a car. Buffalo Stampede PBL prediction we will be 10-10 if the four UB players stay the whole year. Which is much improved over 1-19 last year.

Some of you guys are going to get a surprise about the Buffalo Stampede. Three of the guys are playing because they are friends and former teammates at UB of Greg Gamble who is a Buffalo Stampede employee and he recruited buddies he knew in the area.

They want to play again relieve old times playing together it isn't a money thing I sure our owner could afford all these guys if it was for Greg Gamble. Danny Gilbert played in England before because if memory serves me he was teammates with former Canisius Golden Griffins Brian Dux who was in a serious car accident by himself a few years ago in England.

Brian Dux is doing better now but he is unable to walk well or play basketball anymore which was tragic he was a good pro basketball player in England. They were roomates that is why I remember Danny Gilbert played in England.

Danny Gilbert and Rod Middleton are very good low post players for the PBL level basketball. Greg Gamble is proable the weakest player of the four in my opinion. The most athletic is Andy Robinson or Arob for short that was his nickname from what I can remember. Sorry about the long post that bothers some I learned. Let's Go Buffalo
The above post is in my opinion and I have no proof or link. I am just a Buffalo sports fan.

not so fast
Site Admin

Post by not so fast » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:22 pm

Well I think you must have a different viewpoint. If you are not paying players, or barely paying them, then your bills are not paid, and the good players will leave, and your team will be 1-19 all over again.

The owner is a wonderful person, and trying hard to make buffalo work. But at the end of the day, good players are not going to play for just meal money.

I remember the pbl first season, the league came in and saved the dallas team and the jacksonville team. I hope they are not going to do the same thing this year for buffalo.
I really want to see them succeed, but they must find a way to pay it players coaches and staff, or risk repeating last season, or worse.

I think the league office needs to keep a close watch on this franchise. One thing is certain, it is important that all 9 teams finish the season.

Besides, the drive from chicago to buffalo is shorter than chicago to Rochester. Ken steelheads fan, are you ready to co-pilot our trip to buffalo? I will swing thru G.I. and pick you up. hopefully there's no construction on the highways there in indiana!

one way
Site Admin

Post by one way » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:28 pm

Your only as strong as your weakest link. If Buffalo can't pay players, then they will not have the talant to compete. Then teams destroy them, fans do not want to see them and it weakens the whole league. How can a league permit one team to a huge payroll and then allow another team to compete with a 1,000 dollar payroll? Insane and foolish

TheStandard
Site Admin

Post by TheStandard » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:14 pm

[quote=""CHris902""]One of two things will happen with the Capitanes:

1) They will demolish everyone, including Rochester
2) They will demolish everyone at the beginning of the season, and stop sending their stars on the road. Their 5 through 12 guys will still beat their PBL opponents on the road.

I would be shocked if they lost a game and I can only really see Rochester having a shot at them.[/quote]

They're making changes to their 6-12 men as I say this. More than likely there will be 3 roster moves. Their main objective is the BSN because that is what pays for them but also It's just a move to make the other BSN teams sweat and sweat hard because the other teams can only run in one season not the captains they are running two seasons and when a team is well oiled and is playing 50 regular season games between two leagues they are going to be even stronger when it comes to BSN finals time
Mean Spirited Blogger # 8
ABAish: Created By TheStandard
ABAish:Not Playing 99% of your games but you satisfy your self less than 50% Lack Of Promotion Of Your Team, Not Paying your players, Playing in a High School with non regulation lines or Half Court, Playing with Wal-Mart Uniforms, Playing with Mismatched Socks, Posting lies about your league, Posting things that are not basketball or really league related, Calling others Unethical and Immoral, Being Joe Newman.500 Charcters suck.

bdaly
Site Admin

Post by bdaly » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:39 pm

[quote=""not so fast""]
The owner is a wonderful person, and trying hard to make buffalo work. But at the end of the day, good players are not going to play for just meal money. [/quote]
I don't think looking to improving local programs like UB is a terrible tactic. Guys that happen to be living/working in Buffalo may be willing to play for not a whole lot. Granted, realistic expectations in terms of conditioning may be a bit different. Battle Creek wasn't paying out a heck of a lot, but they had a pretty impressive team last year. I agree it's hard and not ideal, and I hope they can move away from teams that do it, but it's not impossible. It's more responsible than making big promises and crashing and burning.

BSF, in regards to the question on why they didn't turn the arena over to Styres, I don't really know. If I were to guess, I'd say they were a bit skeptical of anyone willing to come in and dig the team out of it's ditch (the mayor wanted Golisano to buy the team initially). At this point, the mayor and team are very much on the same page -- an interview with the mayor plays on the scoreboard each game -- so it may be a possibility down the road if that's something they want to take on.

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:18 pm

[quote=""not so fast""]
Besides, the drive from chicago to buffalo is shorter than chicago to Rochester. Ken steelheads fan, are you ready to co-pilot our trip to buffalo? I will swing thru G.I. and pick you up. hopefully there's no construction on the highways there in indiana![/quote]

Buffalo is a really cool town, but my achin' behind would never survive the trip. Thanks anyway.

Another prediction:
Joe Newman will out-smart the PBL brass...again.

Buffalo Super Fan
Site Admin

Post by Buffalo Super Fan » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:29 pm

Guys you have to understand with Buffalo that we are trying to build a major college athletic program at UB someday. If you notice in that last couple of years UB is getting ESPN2 TV coverage with there football program. We are presently a MAC Conference mid major program but our gold is to someday get into a BCS major conference like the Big East Conference when it either splits into football and basketball schools or expands.

Buffalo is positioning itself for this. UB is going to have 40,000 students with UB2020 on three campus north, south and city by the year 2020. This is very important to many Buffalonians because it covers Buffalo in case the Buffalo Bills move if Buffalo isn't the highest bidder when Ralph Wilson is no longer with us he is 91 years old.

How this relates to the Buffalo Stampede PBL is that the Buffalo Stampede if they left tommorrow not many Buffalo fans would notice but a few like myself. The owner is smart he isn't a dreamer with oh lets pay what we don't get in attendance. He rents the KAC for the teams home. The KAC is the home of the MAAC Canisius College Golden Griffins and my college that I went to.

The owner is renting from the priest at the college. I don't know for sure but I am willing to bet he is getting a nice deal on the KAC for the Buffalo Stampede. This isn't like renting ECC city, Buffalo State or UB bigger facilities that are NY State, erie county and city of Buffalo controled that would want good money to rent there.

My guess Canisius College is working a deal with him. Remember were talking a private school and priests there not in the business of ripping people off. The team draws between 500 to 800 mostly from the neighborhood of the college in Buffalo.

I totally disagree with those that think the PBL will have to step in to take over Buffalo for what? The owners pays his bills because there low. Think about if he is paying meal money as you say he doesn't owe anyone so there is nothing for the PBL to take over to pay. The team has no outstanding bills or leans as far as I know remember I am only a Buffalo sports fan. But Buffalo is a small city where everyone knows one another and if he was stiffing someone it would get out quick like Gary Nice after only one game word got out that he was a cheat.

This guy that is the Buffalo Stampede owner runs concert promotions in the area in Buffalo night clubs so he isn't in fantasyland like Gary Nice a out of towner. The Buffalo Stampede owner is smart he is staying the course keeping the team alive until he earns street cred in the Buffalo community and then this team will live off sponsorship dollars.

The owner is a basketball fan of the old NBA Buffalo Braves and he really wants to see this team work here. Also I will add the Rochester Razorsharks owners I would bet the ranch want the Buffalo Stampede in the league for travel and a future rivalry. Buffalo isn't Dallas or Jacksonville far away from Rochester so there is alot in it for Rochester for Buffalo to work.

Buffalo and Rochester are exactly the kind of markets that the PBL should be in good sports markets that don't have a year round beach, golf and year round warm weather to distract fans. Dallas and Jacksonville your dealing with Dallas a NBA city and Jacksonville the beach and golf. Look the Jacksonville Jaguers can't draw more than 45,000 fans that is for NFL football. What would make anyone think the Jacksonville fans show up for the PBL? And AF1 with the Jacksonville Sharks in my opinion is a joke that will fail. AF1 would be better off in good sports markets like Buffalo and Rochester mid size markets with cold weather and not alot to do to distract. Buffalo and Rochester beach and golf season is four months at best not year round like Jacksonville.

As for players the thing your missing guys is Buffalo is the home for 4 mid major division I basketball teams Buffalo, Canisius, Niagara and St. Bonaventure so there are always basketball players graduating and around the Buffalo area. Buffalo Stampede PBL fans understand what our owner is trying to do.

There was a article in the Buffalo News last season. You have to understand Buffalo is a very fair city were more like a small town. Buffalo isn't as jaded where we won't give a local guy and a local team a chance. As long as the Buffalo Stampede owner doesn't stiff anyone he will be fine.

But the thing I notice with some of you PBL guys is your really over estimating this PBL minor pro basketball league. I have been a fan of Buffalo teams in the RHI roller hockey, NPSL indoor soccer, Arena football league and NLL indoor lacrosse. The PBL is lower then all those league I mentioned even factoring in Rochester Razorsharks and there high payroll.

Maybe bdaly can comment more because he has alot of those team I mention in his city too. The PBL isn't even close to leagues like a NLL, IL baseball or arena football league as a example. The PBL gets no highlights in Buffalo and little to no Buffalo News our local newspaper. The only league that played in Buffalo lower was the ABA Buffalo Rapids. But this league isn't much better than the ABA other then teams showing up when there suppose too sorry to break to some of you. Atleast that is the case in Buffalo.

The Buffalo Rapids and Buffalo Silverbacks both ABA teams were better teams in terms of talent then the Buffalo Stampede PBL last year in my opinion. Of course bare in mind I am only a Buffalo sports fan that went to watch games of all three of these Buffalo teams. I am by no means a pro scout. But this years team looks more along the lines of the Buffalo Rapids and Buffalo Silverbacks in terms of talent so I am optomistic about the Buffalo Stampede this year. And like I said 10-10 is a good building block for this team if we can get to .500 the future is bright in years to follow in Buffalo.

If Buffalo and Rochester go this PBL league is gone in my opinion. The Rochester team owner is the league and that is why I am not worried about Buffalo. Were joined at the hip. Rochester wants Buffalo in the PBL. It is good for Buffalo and Rochester because we are rivalry in alot of minor pro league sports. Including baseball and indoor lacrosse. Buffalo is a city that drew over 14,000 at the old AUD for the RHI roller hockey 1994 Murphy Cup final were the Buffalo Stampede RHI team the same name as the present PBL team won the Murphy Cup I was there it was crazy fans honked there horns on the Buffalo streets and celebrated like we won the Stanley Cup. The Buffalo Wings RHI team still exist running roller hockey leagues and is coming back in Bill Raue MLRH this summer supposively. If you can't make it in Buffalo and Rochester your PBL league is toast in my opinion. These are the mid size markets you want the PBL in not thrown out of this isn't the Los Angelse Lakers or Boston Celtics of the NBA. So if your a fan of the PBL you want the league to succeed in Buffalo. Let's Go Buffalo
Last edited by Buffalo Super Fan on Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:06 pm, edited 10 times in total.
The above post is in my opinion and I have no proof or link. I am just a Buffalo sports fan.

bdaly
Site Admin

Post by bdaly » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:34 am

[quote=""Buffalo Super Fan""]
Maybe bdaly can comment more because he has alot of those team I mention in his city too. The PBL isn't even close to leagues like a NLL, IL baseball or arena football league as a example. The PBL gets no highlights in Buffalo and little to no Buffalo News our local newspaper. The only league that played in Buffalo lower was the ABA Buffalo Rapids. But this league isn't much better than the ABA other then teams showing up when there suppose too sorry to break to some of you. Atleast that is the case in Buffalo. [/quote]
Within the US, it seems safe to say that the PBL is a "AA" league. With that said, the unique challenge pro basketball has at the minor league level is that D1 basketball has such a huge footprint (there are almost 6 times as many D1 basketball teams as D1 hockey teams). If Rochester was a little less competitive in terms of the number of local pro sports teams, it would be ideal, because there's no D1 basketball here. I think there's reason to believe RIT will eventually elevate all of its programs to D1, but I think hockey will remain the keystone program, so it shouldn't be an enormous threat to the Razorsharks. But anyway, at this point, "AA" basketball in this country is certainly less advanced than it is in baseball or hockey in terms of facilities, the level of the organizations, and ultimately media coverage.

The Razorsharks do get highlights, albeit usually at the end of the broadcast, but a lot of that has to do with them going big in terms of the arena, roster, etc. With Buffalo being even more competitive, and their ownership not being as deep financially, I think the Stampede have taken the right approach. I think they will be a better team with the roster approach they've taken. I can't claim to know if that's 4-16 or 10-10. But, the Kossler Center is a decent D1 facility that has seatbacks and is the right size, and I also don't think he'll struggle to complete the season. And, ultimately, I hope that everyone in the PBL will complete the season. That's key to continuing to establish this league's brand in a positive way.

But, going back to my comment on D1 basketball, because of its enormous footprint, I think minor league basketball is destined to always be an uphill battle within the US. And, that's sad, mainly because it has the ironic result of many good D1 basketball players having no where to go, domestically at least.

Buffalo Super Fan
Site Admin

Post by Buffalo Super Fan » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:56 am

I agree bdaly good luck with RIT. UB is also establishing a fan base in Buffalo for football and basketball teams and that in the end I think will win out over the Buffalo Stampede PBL and double a minor league basketball.

I think if RIT adds D1 basketball like there great hockey program then Rochester becomes like Buffalo where the Rochester Razorsharks are a tougher sale like the Buffalo Stampede.

Because once your city gets D1 basketball like Buffalo. I think Rochester fans will get behind that because D1 is like minor league basketball but with so much more tv coverage and excitement with your local conference tournment and then a chance at the 65 team NCAA tournment. That is very exciting and I think Rochester will never look back once D1 comes.

Buffalo is all a buzy today because the Buffalo Bulls just hired Jeff Quinn from the Cincinnati Bearcats to be our new UB Bulls head football coach it will be announced on tuesday.

Once RIT gets D1 basketball that gets the local press coverage of your city then there isn't alot of room for PBL that just the way it is. In a city like Rochester I think D1 basketball could be bigger then in Buffalo because it wouldn't be completing against major league teams like in Buffalo where we have the Buffalo Bills and Buffalo Sabres that compete for attention with UB. Rochester with RIT D1 basketball could be like a Siena Saints in Albany where that is the biggest thing in your town locally for fans.

Because there is nothing like a NCAA basketball tournment. UB went to the International bowl game in Toronto last year for football and it was the first bowl game I ever attended and it was huge event and alot of fun. Good luck to RIT getting D1 basketball then you can play the four Buffalo area schools it will be a rivalry. Let's Go Buffalo
Last edited by Buffalo Super Fan on Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

not so fast
Site Admin

Post by not so fast » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:02 pm

geez you two are longwinded.

Let me keep it really real with you super fan. The rochester team, the oklahoma team, the halifax team, the peurto rico team are paying real dollars for real players. If it was so easy to get local guys to come and play and compete, then why was buffalo 1-19 last season?

Good players would rather sit out than play for meal money, thats the reality. Ronnie Fields is available, arguably the most successful minorleague player of all time. If buffalo offers him 200 a week, he would just laugh.

I am not knocking the buffalo owner, he is a great guy, I have said this on many occasions. but to think you are going to compete without truly putting up decent money toward good established players, then I only see a long season for buffalo, that could get ugly. And yes, these situations can spin out of control, such as coaches quitting, not enough players for games, and this scenario has happened to other PBL franchises in its 1st two seasons, and yes the league had to step in to make good and suststain teams to finish the seasons. So super fan, with all due respect, I talk about facts, and things that I know are true. I am not some johnny-come-lately to the minorleague scene.
Last edited by not so fast on Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “PBL”