Most Money Wins

The Premier Basketball League (PBL) forum
Juniper
Site Admin

Most Money Wins

Post by Juniper » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:38 pm

I had some time this week end, so I did some research. Chuck may no more due to him, and his history of the CBA. It appears to me that the team with the biggest budget wins. In the old CBA it looks like S. Falls and Dakota were pretty successful, they are still successful in the D-League. They had the biggest budgets to work with. Then Yakama and Ok City had the biggest budgets, and they won. The IBL, Battle Creek the first year had the biggest budget. Then Elkhart had the biggest budget and they won. Last year LA had the biggest budget and they won. In the PBL Rochester had the biggest budget. They won. I feel that is one of the reasons they played last years games at Rochester. No way could Battle Creek win with a budget of 25,000.00 going up with Roshesters 130,000.00 budget. When you look at those numbers, it was amazing what Battle Creek did last year. So how do you all feel, does the team with the biggest budget win? If so who has the biggest budget this year?

runninref
Site Admin

Post by runninref » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:18 pm

I respectfully disagree. Last season in the ABA, the KY Bisons had a shoestring budget that was tiny compared to Southeast Texas and others. Yet, they still pulled out a championship. :mrgreen:

sonnie20
Site Admin

Post by sonnie20 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:40 pm

I think there is some truth to Junipers staement. Wow and they dog out the ABA. Looks like at least they can run a unbias championship.

CHris902
Site Admin

Post by CHris902 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:30 pm

It goes without saying that a bigger budget improves your chances of winning at any level. But it's safe to say that last year Halifax had the second largest (if not largest) budget of any team in the PBL and that didn't help them much on the court. Battle Creek got a ton out of an absolutely tiny budget from what I understand, and other teams were really able to make the most out of every dollar spent. Basically, I think you're generally right, but I don't think it's the only factor. If you spend $25k poorly then you spend $100k just as poorly.

Where did you get your budget numbers from?

I think Puerto Rico have clearly been the most aggressive in terms of spending money early on (one has to wonder how they can work Bonzi Wells in under the PBL salary cap rules), and in my mind they're the early favourites.

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:48 pm

There are ways of leveling the playing surface. The Northern League has a hard salary cap. No team can exceed that salary cap. Also, each team is limited by how many active veterans they can carry on their roster.

Juniper
Site Admin

Post by Juniper » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:07 pm

I think the hard cap is the way to go if you can monitor it. My budget numbers came from talking with people in the organizations. Does Maryland have a budget as big as Rochester?

TheStandard
Site Admin

Post by TheStandard » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:20 pm

Bonzi is in the "BSN" Contract so hence he's not on the PBL signing payroll. Basically he's a BSN player who is in the PBL for "free"
Mean Spirited Blogger # 8
ABAish: Created By TheStandard
ABAish:Not Playing 99% of your games but you satisfy your self less than 50% Lack Of Promotion Of Your Team, Not Paying your players, Playing in a High School with non regulation lines or Half Court, Playing with Wal-Mart Uniforms, Playing with Mismatched Socks, Posting lies about your league, Posting things that are not basketball or really league related, Calling others Unethical and Immoral, Being Joe Newman.500 Charcters suck.

dmbishop
Site Admin

Post by dmbishop » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:39 pm

[quote=""CHris902""]...Basically, I think you're generally right, but I don't think it's the only factor. If you spend $25k poorly then you spend $100k just as poorly...[/quote]

Just take a look at MLB. The Yankees had the highest payroll and won the World Series. The Mets had the second highest payroll and didn't even sniff .500

Money makes a big difference (probably more so at the minor-league level), but competency counts too.

Dave

pistol44
Site Admin

Post by pistol44 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:24 pm

Its obviously not how much as much as HOW. Could you not say that its the way Rochester spends their $ as much as it is the amount of $ they spend? Can you honestly say looking at their roster from year to year that there are players there that you wish you had on your team? Maybe one or two...maybe.

one way
Site Admin

Post by one way » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:42 am

AT on time the CBA budget for player salaries was 250,000. Now some PBL teams are not even paying their players. The depths minor leagues have fallen

Return to “PBL”