Team Thread: Vermont Frost Heaves

The Premier Basketball League (PBL) forum
The Sweeper
Site Admin

Post by The Sweeper » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:50 pm

http://www.timesargus.com/article/20100 ... 004/SPORTS

By Anna Grearson TIMES ARGUS STAFF - Published: April 14, 2010

Instead of playing one last game at the Barre Auditorium on Thursday night, the Vermont Frost Heaves of 2009-2010 will say one last goodbye to fans from 4-6 p.m.

Vermont started the season 0-3 and finished 12-8 and was officially ruled ineligible for the Premier Basketball League playoffs on Monday. The league expelled Puerto Rico on March 29 but reinstated the Capitanes 10 days later. The expulsion lifted Vermont into the four-team playoff group but the restoration dropped the team to fifth and ended the Frost Heaves season.

"It's disappointing to be told and know that you're headed to the playoffs and then have the carpet pulled out from under you," Vermont coach Joe Salerno said. "I am happy Puerto Rico got back in. It's important to have the best teams competing for a championship, but I was looking forward to having another crack at Puerto Rico in the playoffs."

Vermont battled through early season adversity, including the firing of coach Jeff Strohm, and wound up winning 12 of its last 16 games. In that span, three players were named the league's Player of the Week and Salerno was tabbed Coach of the Month after a 6-1 run in March.

"It was definitely disappointing," Vermont veteran point guard Dwuan Rice said. "We worked so hard to turn this thing around. We thought we were in, we felt like we accomplished something, and once we heard the news it was definitely disappointing."

Vermont controlled its fate in last Thursday's home loss to Rochester. At that point the Frost Heaves thought they were fighting for a better seed in the playoffs, not a berth. Rice said the team would've stepped it up had they known what exactly was at stake.

"I feel like we would've played with more sense of urgency against Rochester," Rice said. "We didn't play bad until that fourth quarter, it was pretty much anybody's game, and had we known it was our playoff hopes, we would've played a little better and left it all on the floor. You can't complain about it now, though."

Salerno said the team plays every game to win.

"I hate to say we'd play the Rochester game any differently. We play to win, coaching style or not, but I think if the players know their backs are against the wall and they had to win, that gives it an added edge," Salerno said. "I would've liked to know that, and maybe I would've done things differently."

Still, the back-and-forth of their post-season status left the Frost Heaves in the lurch after a strong second half to the season.

"They took it pretty hard," Salerno said. "They really have come together as a team. Now they're learning how to take disappointment together as a team. We made a run of things. We said in late February we wanted to make a run, make the playoffs, only to be that close and have that taken away."

Vermont issued a release outlining the sale of playoff tickets on April 5. By April 8, after tickets had already been sold, Vermont's chance of playing that game had all but vanished.

"All of the fans got pumped up, especially hearing we were eligible for the playoffs, so for the league to commit to us being in the playoffs and then renege on their commitment is a bad reflection on the league and management of the league," said Dan Barry, a season-ticket holder since the team's inaugural season four years ago who had already bought tickets for Thursday. "In retrospect, the league should have waited to commit to us until after they resolved things with Puerto Rico. Even more so than the fans, I feel bad for the players. I look forward to another season next year and the coaching of Joe Salerno. In the end, that was huge. He was really a bright spot with the Heaves this season, and I was very impressed with him."

This season marks the first in franchise history that the team did not make the playoffs. The Frost Heaves won back-to-back American Basketball Association titles in its first two seasons and qualified for the PBL playoffs last spring as a wild card.

"It does bother me," Salerno said. "I understand how successful this franchise has been. I wish I had had the reins from the beginning, and maybe there'd be a different outcome. But I have to look at it as a success. We overcame many, many obstacles, had a seven-game win streak in month of March, and we peaked at the right time. Had we had opportunity to compete in playoffs, we would've made some noise."

Rice and teammate Ross Demasi will make noise at the PBL All-Star Game in Halifax on May 2, the last official event of the season.

"I'm excited to get a little rest," Rice said. "To get my groin healed and get back to 100 percent and getting up to Halifax and represent our team and this community and play against some of the best players in the league and playing with the best players in the league. I'm looking forward to that."
Mean Spirited Blogger #37

Honored to have been the 13th player for the Vermont Frost Heaves game on 2-16-07 against the Maryland Nighthawks.

The ABA is the basketball equivalent of Amp'd Mobile.

Jimmytwotimes
Site Admin

Post by Jimmytwotimes » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:10 am

Since the Frost Heaves will be back this year, figured i would get this thread back up. Congrats Frost Heaves!!

Chuck the Writer
Site Admin

Post by Chuck the Writer » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:12 pm

Anybody going to the Vermont State Fair this year will have a chance to see one of my PBL action photos on display at the President's Building, as part of the photography competition.

Although I did enter six photographs in various categories and genres, I think the photo I entered in "sports" might make some Frost Heaves fans very happy. Not sure how the Buffalo Stampede fans will feel about the picture...

The rest of my entries can be seen at this link:

http://blog.timesunion.com/chuckmiller/ ... test/2954/

Wish me luck. I did well at the New York State Fair with two pictures, let's see if I can continue the winning streak in Vermont.

Jimmytwotimes
Site Admin

2 Millrats Make The Heaves Final Training Camp Roster

Post by Jimmytwotimes » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:30 pm

Barre, VT- The Vermont Frost Heaves are getting ready to kick off their 5th season when the team officially opens training camp on Monday, December 6, 2010 in Barre. The camp, which will bring in 18 players from all over the country, is scheduled to run through Friday morning, December 10 before the roster is trimmed down to 13 for the Heaves opening exhibition game in Saint John on Saturday the 11th.

Some familiar faces will be in camp next week as the team announced today that former Frost Heaves Bobby Shedd ('09-'10) and BJ Robertson ('06-'0 8) will be competing in camp. They'll join Markus Austin, Dwuan Rice, and Ross Demasi giving the team 5 players who have suited up for the Heaves in the past. "It's great we have so many familiar faces coming into camp. Guys, who have played here, understand the community, the fans, and what is expected when you play for this franchise" commented Head Coach Joe Salerno. "It should be extremely competitive."

Rounding out the final training camp roster is Sam Carey, Mike Anderson, James Tchana, Brandon McThay and Ray Canady.

Carey, a 6'8" power forward, is the second former Mill Rat who will be in attendance at the Frost Heaves camp. He played for Manchester in the 2007-2008 season before playing in a top division in Germany last year.

Anderson, a 7' center who played his collegiate ball at Lane College, led the PBL in blocked shots last season for the Maryland Green Hawks. Anderson is the 2nd 7 footer the Heaves have signed to training camp.

Tchana will also be competing for a spot in the Frost Heaves front court. The 6'8" 275lb power forward started his college career at Fresno State before finishing at CW Post, helping the Pioneers to a 30-1 record his senior season.

McThay, a 5'9" point guard from Deerfield Beach, Florida, is one of only three rookies who has been invited to training camp. He played his college ball at Division 1 Lamar University in Texas where he averaged 13.3 points and 4 assists per game as a senior.

"Both Brandon and James were invited and attended our tryout camp is Essex in October. Both played very well and earned an invite to camp" commented Salerno.

Canady, a 6'7" small forward, had a tremendous career at Valdosta State. Since then, he has gone on to play professionally in Germany, Syria, China, and Argentina. Last season he played in Australia where he averaged 23 points and 12 rebounds per game for the Gladstone Port City Power.

Players will arrive in Barre this weekend, with the team starting double sessions on Monday morning at the Barre Auditorium. The team will hold an inter-squad scrimmage which will be open to the public on Thursday afternoon, December 9 at 3pm. Fans will also have the chance to get their first look at this year's team on Monday December 13th when the team will host a "Meet, Greet & Eat with the Heaves" spaghetti dinner at the Canadian Club in Barre starting at 6:00pm. For more information on the dinner call 802-244-8087. The team will also attend the Montpelier vs. Spaulding High School Boys Basketball game on Tuesday, December 14, which will be played at the Heaves home arena, the Barre Auditorium. Tip-off for that game is scheduled for 7:00pm.

2010 Frost Heaves Training Camp Roster

Brandon McThay 5'9" PG Lamar University Deerfield Beach, FL

Dwuan Rice 5'9" PG Cal-Bakersfield Pasadena, CA

Brian Kortovich 6'2" PG Manhattan Harlem, NY

Andy Robinson 6'2" SG Buffalo Schenectady, NY

BJ Robertson 6'2" SG Saint Michaels Burlington, VT

Joe Jones 6'3" SG Edinboro University Erie, PA

Bilal Benn 6'5" SG Villanova/Niagara Philadelphia, PA

Dwight Brewington 6'5" SF Providence/Liberty Providence, RI

Bobby Shedd 6'5" SF Johnson State College Johnson, VT

Markus Austin 6'6" SF Eastern Michigan White Plains, NY

Ray Canady 6'7" SF Valdosta State Atlanta, GA

Ross Demasi 6'8" PF SW Minnesota State Swanton, VT

Sam Carey 6'8" PF Southern New Hampshire Manchester, NH

Mike Williams 6'8" PF Texas/Cincinnati Atlanta, GA

James Tchana 6'8" PF Fresno State/CW Post Long Island, NY

Lorenzo Davis 6'10" C Mountain Valley State Los Angeles, CA

Michael Anderson 7' C Lane College Baltimore, MD

James Smith 7' C Marist Westchester, NY

Frank Mart
Site Admin

Post by Frank Mart » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:33 pm

[quote=""Jimmytwotimes""]Barre, VT- The Vermont Frost Heaves are getting ready to kick off their 5th season when the team officially opens training camp on Monday, December 6, 2010 in Barre. The camp, which will bring in 18 players from all over the country, is scheduled to run through Friday morning, December 10 before the roster is trimmed down to 13 for the Heaves opening exhibition game in Saint John on Saturday the 11th.

Some familiar faces will be in camp next week as the team announced today that former Frost Heaves Bobby Shedd ('09-'10) and BJ Robertson ('06-'0 8) will be competing in camp. They'll join Markus Austin, Dwuan Rice, and Ross Demasi giving the team 5 players who have suited up for the Heaves in the past. "It's great we have so many familiar faces coming into camp. Guys, who have played here, understand the community, the fans, and what is expected when you play for this franchise" commented Head Coach Joe Salerno. "It should be extremely competitive."

Rounding out the final training camp roster is Sam Carey, Mike Anderson, James Tchana, Brandon McThay and Ray Canady.

Carey, a 6'8" power forward, is the second former Mill Rat who will be in attendance at the Frost Heaves camp. He played for Manchester in the 2007-2008 season before playing in a top division in Germany last year.

Anderson, a 7' center who played his collegiate ball at Lane College, led the PBL in blocked shots last season for the Maryland Green Hawks. Anderson is the 2nd 7 footer the Heaves have signed to training camp.

Tchana will also be competing for a spot in the Frost Heaves front court. The 6'8" 275lb power forward started his college career at Fresno State before finishing at CW Post, helping the Pioneers to a 30-1 record his senior season.

McThay, a 5'9" point guard from Deerfield Beach, Florida, is one of only three rookies who has been invited to training camp. He played his college ball at Division 1 Lamar University in Texas where he averaged 13.3 points and 4 assists per game as a senior.

"Both Brandon and James were invited and attended our tryout camp is Essex in October. Both played very well and earned an invite to camp" commented Salerno.

Canady, a 6'7" small forward, had a tremendous career at Valdosta State. Since then, he has gone on to play professionally in Germany, Syria, China, and Argentina. Last season he played in Australia where he averaged 23 points and 12 rebounds per game for the Gladstone Port City Power.

Players will arrive in Barre this weekend, with the team starting double sessions on Monday morning at the Barre Auditorium. The team will hold an inter-squad scrimmage which will be open to the public on Thursday afternoon, December 9 at 3pm. Fans will also have the chance to get their first look at this year's team on Monday December 13th when the team will host a "Meet, Greet & Eat with the Heaves" spaghetti dinner at the Canadian Club in Barre starting at 6:00pm. For more information on the dinner call 802-244-8087. The team will also attend the Montpelier vs. Spaulding High School Boys Basketball game on Tuesday, December 14, which will be played at the Heaves home arena, the Barre Auditorium. Tip-off for that game is scheduled for 7:00pm.

2010 Frost Heaves Training Camp Roster

Brandon McThay 5'9" PG Lamar University Deerfield Beach, FL

Dwuan Rice 5'9" PG Cal-Bakersfield Pasadena, CA

Brian Kortovich 6'2" PG Manhattan Harlem, NY

Andy Robinson 6'2" SG Buffalo Schenectady, NY

BJ Robertson 6'2" SG Saint Michaels Burlington, VT

Joe Jones 6'3" SG Edinboro University Erie, PA

Bilal Benn 6'5" SG Villanova/Niagara Philadelphia, PA

Dwight Brewington 6'5" SF Providence/Liberty Providence, RI

Bobby Shedd 6'5" SF Johnson State College Johnson, VT

Markus Austin 6'6" SF Eastern Michigan White Plains, NY

Ray Canady 6'7" SF Valdosta State Atlanta, GA

Ross Demasi 6'8" PF SW Minnesota State Swanton, VT

Sam Carey 6'8" PF Southern New Hampshire Manchester, NH

Mike Williams 6'8" PF Texas/Cincinnati Atlanta, GA

James Tchana 6'8" PF Fresno State/CW Post Long Island, NY

Lorenzo Davis 6'10" C Mountain Valley State Los Angeles, CA

Michael Anderson 7' C Lane College Baltimore, MD

James Smith 7' C Marist Westchester, NY[/quote]

http://frankmartpbl.blogspot.com/2010/1 ... r-cam.html

misenern
Site Admin

Post by misenern » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:33 am

Vermont is up 33-15 against Saint John. Not a great crowd, but OK. This will probably be the PBL's strongest season in attendance.

The Mill Rats are not looking very good. Here is the problem with the Mill Rats - their starters struggled and now they are stuck using Cooper, M. Anderson and Deluca off the bench. I don't think that Vermont will truly challenge for the championship, but I do think they could sneak into the playoffs.
Last edited by misenern on Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

misenern
Site Admin

Post by misenern » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:04 am

Mill Rats making me eat my words now. They were down 24 to start the second, now it's a two point game 61-59 for Vermont.

Interesting that both teams are playing small. Big centres are not having an impact like last year.

The Sweeper
Site Admin

Post by The Sweeper » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:35 am

Vermont wins 106-103. Another chapter in the Heaves-Mill Rats war is over.
Mean Spirited Blogger #37

Honored to have been the 13th player for the Vermont Frost Heaves game on 2-16-07 against the Maryland Nighthawks.

The ABA is the basketball equivalent of Amp'd Mobile.

CHris902
Site Admin

Post by CHris902 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:18 am

[quote=""misenern""]The Mill Rats are not looking very good. Here is the problem with the Mill Rats - their starters struggled and now they are stuck using Cooper, M. Anderson and Deluca off the bench. I don't think that Vermont will truly challenge for the championship, but I do think they could sneak into the playoffs.[/quote]
Good win for Vermont. They need to hold homecourt and use the crowd/absurd court dimensions to their advantage if they want to make the playoffs. Lots of strong home courts this season and no one who wants to compete can slip up. I didn't get a chance to watch the webcast but I looked at the box score: Kind of crazy that both teams just benched their bigs since I think there's at least five very good big men in this game. Anyone have any ideas why both teams decided to go small?

You're dead on with the Millrats. I think Gilchrest is a very good player coming off the bench and Torree Morris is a legit bigman at this level. But the next three guys on the bench are not good. Deluca is a fine role player if he is your last player off the bench but if he's your first wing player and eight overall player off the bench you're in trouble. He's their eighth best player and I can honestly say that there isn't a single player on Halifax, LFS, Quebec or Vermont who is not noticeably better than him. (Not sure about the other teams). After him the situation is even worse. They basically have two players who have no business finding their way onto the court before garbage time.

They can't cut M. Anderson because if they do fans will flip out and claim he was never given the minutes to prove himself. David Cooper needs to fake a season ending knee injury so the team can bring in a player with something left in the tank if they want to compete.

Frank Mart
Site Admin

Post by Frank Mart » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:25 am

[quote=""CHris902""]Good win for Vermont. They need to hold homecourt and use the crowd/absurd court dimensions to their advantage if they want to make the playoffs. Lots of strong home courts this season and no one who wants to compete can slip up. I didn't get a chance to watch the webcast but I looked at the box score: Kind of crazy that both teams just benched their bigs since I think there's at least five very good big men in this game. Anyone have any ideas why both teams decided to go small?

You're dead on with the Millrats. I think Gilchrest is a very good player coming off the bench and Torree Morris is a legit bigman at this level. But the next three guys on the bench are not good. Deluca is a fine role player if he is your last player off the bench but if he's your first wing player and eight overall player off the bench you're in trouble. He's their eighth best player and I can honestly say that there isn't a single player on Halifax, LFS, Quebec or Vermont who is not noticeably better than him. (Not sure about the other teams). After him the situation is even worse. They basically have two players who have no business finding their way onto the court before garbage time.

They can't cut M. Anderson because if they do fans will flip out and claim he was never given the minutes to prove himself. David Cooper needs to fake a season ending knee injury so the team can bring in a player with something left in the tank if they want to compete.[/quote]

Due to the short dimensions of Barre Auditorium both teams played with little players to avoid being surprised by counterattacks (Jaren Jackson ,learned his lesson). The last minutes Millrats played with Eric-Anderson-Martin-Egerson-DeLuca and Vermont with Rice-Allen-Austin-too-Willams, but remember correctly.

By the way, Chris902 why not continue your blog on Rainmen?
http://frankmartminors.blogspot.com/
Follow me twitter: franMartblog...

Return to “PBL”