WPS Los Angeles Sol folded

The Women's Professional Soccer (WPS) forum
Fran
Site Admin

WPS Los Angeles Sol folded

Post by Fran » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:24 am

This move surprised me, the team was great on the field and great attendance, they just couldn't find local ownerhsip.

SAN FRANCISCO, CA (January 28, 2009) – After several weeks of negotiations with a potential new ownership group fell through at the last minute, Women’s Professional Soccer discontinued operations of the Los Angeles Sol on Thursday. The rights to the 19 players currently held by the Sol will be dispersed during a special draft for the league’s eight franchises on Thursday, February 4 and will be announced later in the day.

“While it’s regrettable to lose the Los Angeles market as part of our WPS footprint, we are pleased to have two new teams coming into the league in 2010,” said WPS Commissioner Tonya Antonucci. “The league and our ownership committee worked incredibly hard over the past month to complete the transaction. In the end, we ran out of time and came up short of where we needed to be funding-wise for the Sol in 2010.”

The Los Angeles Sol had been under custody of the league since late November when AEG gave back its ownership stake in the team to the league.

“Ownership changes are part of pro sports, particularly in a young league, and we have made solid progress in growing WPS from where we were last season,” said Antonucci. “We believe Los Angeles is a healthy, viable market for women’s pro soccer and a city where our league can again thrive with an LA franchise in the future.”

The league will now feature an even eight-team, single table format for the 2010 WPS Regular Season with more details of the 2010 WPS Season to be unveiled next week.

“All the team owners and members of the Board are confident that this setback will be quickly overcome by the exciting developments that the league has in store for the 2010 WPS Season,” said WPS Board Member and Atlanta Beat Chairman T. Fitz Johnson. “This includes two new franchises, the debut of a brand new stadium built specifically for WPS, a longer regular season and an even better product on the field with incoming talent from the college ranks and the many top internationals that have been signed in the off-season. Without question, this season is poised to build on our successful launch year.”

Several of the Los Angeles players, including WPS All-Stars Shannon Boxx and Marta, are signed to multi-year, guaranteed contracts, and are expected to play in WPS for the remainder of their contracts with other WPS teams following the dispersal draft.

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:03 pm

WARNING: Twitter has a deleterious effect on one's mind and time. You should not attempt to use it if you want a life.

Having said that, it seems the soccer journos I follow on it are also taken by surprise. Thing is, the lack of ownership (I wasn't aware of it, or I might have been going off about how the Sol were in trouble... I've been in another fight for months that seem like years) is really really really really really really a problem. No wonder.

I get a sense- and it's guesswork- that the league spent a long time mulling over whether to prop the team up this year if they couldn't find a buyer. I might have said it was worth it to try. I'm not the one with the money. Whether that means the owners lacked the will, or the cash, or both, eh? Hope this works out.
Mean Spirited Blogger #107

Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:38 am

LA was suppose to be their number one market. I just hope Marta continues to play in WPS. She is the best player the league has.

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:46 am

She may be the best player the world has. She was a blast to watch during the Olympics.

Return to “WPS”