Potential ACL Markets

The South Coast League (SCL) forum
ca
Site Admin

ok if ypsi ...

Post by ca » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:08 am

is too far then isnt lorain and zanesville oh too far as well since they are within 200 miles of ypsi give or take 100 miles

wellington
Site Admin

Post by wellington » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:15 pm

[quote=""ca""]is too far then isnt lorain and zanesville oh too far as well since they are within 200 miles of ypsi give or take 100 miles[/quote]
That's a nice idea especially down the road -- a north and south division -- with possibly some interdivisional play thrown in.

Baseball Insider
Site Admin

Post by Baseball Insider » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:39 pm

Who said they have the inside track "on every market" in the south? I just mentioned Macon, and tried to suggest to Mike how he may be able to bring credibility to his league with their city government - that was all. I will say this. If anyone wants to be in this business, you can't give up just because people are telling you no. That is part of the process. Many colleges have good relationships with the pro teams - Provo, New Haven (it wasn't their relationship with Yale why theams there struggled, etc.) Most people we try to sell to don't read this site, and most people will tell us no.

wellington
Site Admin

Post by wellington » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:55 pm

[quote=""MikeH""]Yeah, but, the CPL is looking at an expansion team to make 16 and looking to place that team in Hendersonville.

http://www.blueridgenow.com/article/200 ... /705100333[/quote]

There's no guarantee the CPL will expand. Even if they do there's still no guarantee that Hendersonville would get a team. My thoughts are that the city seems very interested in attracting a minor league team. Not only that but they are willing to fork over money to renovate the ballpark. It couldn't hurt to talk with them. There choices are limited for them: CPL or nothing.

When it comes to a city deciding between a college wooden bat league and the ACL what are the pros/cons? In the short-term the CPL may be a safer bet since it is an established league with a track record (what's is the average attendance for CPL?). However, the potential long-term growth is going to be limited. The opposite is true of the ACL. Its a much riskier bet initially because its a start-up league, but the pay off potential is much greater. When making a pitch to a city it may be good to have some sort of tabulated comparison between ACL and CPL. Part of the process is educating the cities about the ACL and showing them the distinct advantages of the ACL compared to other leagues.

wellington
Site Admin

Post by wellington » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:20 pm

I mapped out the cities CA was talking about. Not a bad geographic distribution:

ACL North?

ca
Site Admin

"many colleges have good realtionships ...

Post by ca » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:01 pm

with their pro teams" , now that is a quote that makes some sense B.I. !btw thank you wellington for the kudos on an acl north as the towns make sense . let me do some handicapping on them
zanesville - 4 yr member of the frontier league
richmond IN - 11 yr member of the fl
lorain - a 1,500 seat pk that was built a yr or 2 ago
ypsilanti / eastern michigan university - a town that also wants baseball and is centally located near the 11th largest market in the country
so i cant see why an acl north cant happen now for if the scl couldnt find 4 decent markets in acl south land how can that be done now ?

Baseball Insider
Site Admin

Post by Baseball Insider » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:29 pm

Ca (Einstein) - Many college teams have hosted (or still do) "pro" teams on their campuses. The New Haven Ravens/Cross cutters have enjoyed a nice relationshship with Yale. Provo in the Pioneer League plays at a junior college. Cal State Fullerton has a team in the Golden League. I was simply pointing out that somone should not discount the use of college campuses for a "pro" team. As I have a full time job that takes most of my time, I felt that most of the people who got in this site are smart enough to know what I meant, but I guess I was wrong.........

ca
Site Admin

to baseball insider

Post by ca » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:13 pm

i no way was i trying to insult you

Baseball Insider
Site Admin

Post by Baseball Insider » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:25 pm

I apologize then, but if you re-read what you wrote, and the title, I think you can see why I tought that.........Bottom line is in a new, un-proven league, you may not be in a position to pick and choose every location and facility you are in.....

ca
Site Admin

picking n choosing locales ...

Post by ca » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:59 am

is something established loops have had problems with in my opinion as for new loops doing that it makes what might be a tough task even tougher

Return to “SCL”