Anderson Memorial Stadium

The South Coast League (SCL) forum
wellington
Site Admin

Anderson Memorial Stadium

Post by wellington » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:33 pm

I was going to put this in the SCL thread, but I didn't want to clog that thread up. Plus I don't want people to get annoyed with my ramblings.

I've been looking at a lot of old/recent photos of Anderson Memorial Stadium. Its surprising what a difference new seating can make. I know its an old stadium, but with a few more improvements it could be a nice little park.

PHASE 1

1. Demolish the press box (I know it now has a fresh coat of paint and new plumbing). Build a new structure with a slightly larger footprint with more space for bathrooms and a concession stand on the first level.

2. Pressure wash/patch/refinish concrete and also expand size of concourse level. More room for vendors and standing room only crowds (wishful thinking).

3. Demolish dugouts -- slide them back into the stands and make them real dugouts.

4. With dugouts repositioned add box seats (4 rows) down first and third base line. Add bleacher seats to rest of stadium.

5. Improve entrance to stadium -- new fencing, ticket booth, etc.

PHASE 2

1. Focus on refurbishing clubhouse/team offices/facilities for umpires.

2. Any needed field improvements.

2. New scoreboard.

THE MILLION DOLLAR QUESTION

How much would Phase 1 cost? $500K? But the really big question is how to pay for the improvements. One way would be for a combination of public/private money -- county/city/team. However, right now it may be hard for a minor league baseball team to even get a lease at the stadium.

Another way to raise money -- 100% private funding -- in exchange for making improvements the team gets to sell naming rights, sell advertising on top of dugouts, press box, concession area.

In general I hate to see facilities deteriorate. We are a society that likes new stuff and don't like to recycle. With a modest investment Anderson Memorial Stadium could become a really nice place to watch a game.

JoesFan
Site Admin

a "green" stadium

Post by JoesFan » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:21 pm

I found your comments quite resfreshing Wellington!
To add a couple of more improvements. This is more of a pitcher's park right now, with center field being 419 and the power alleys are way out there. The HR in baseball is like the slam dunk in basketball. Society nowadays wants the spectacular, the quick run, the fireworks when one goes long over the wall. Personally I like a pitchers park. I like to see a team play "small ball" and generate runs "inside" the park. But for the sake of the casual fan, I'd bring the outfield walls a little closer to home plate.

I may just be negative about the political climate in Anderson, but I think if Anderson Memorial has a chance of survival it will be through private funds. In the past 20 yrs. Anderson has built a new Civic center, Courthouse, Rec center, parking garage (in process), and several other public buildings - all DOWNTOWN or on the NORTH side of town. The South side of Anderson where the current stadium resides has been left to decay.
However, miracles can happen, as can be seen with Greenville's new stadium on the West side.

Charlotte is also in the downtown revival I see. I'm going to a Charlotte Knights game this weekend. I hear that they will be getting a new stadium in downtown Charlotte, so folks won't have to drive "way out to" Rock Hill...

Cheers,
Joesfan

wellington
Site Admin

Post by wellington » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:28 pm

[quote=""JoesFan""]Personally I like a pitchers park. I like to see a team play "small ball" and generate runs "inside" the park. But for the sake of the casual fan, I'd bring the outfield walls a little closer to home plate.[/quote]

Plus by moving the walls in its much easier to view the sponsors logos. :D

[quote=""JoesFan""]I may just be negative about the political climate in Anderson, but I think if Anderson Memorial has a chance of survival it will be through private funds.

[/quote]

You are probably right. Plus the whole SCL saga (including the seat debacle) isn't going to help things. If (a big IF at this point) a new baseball team sets up shop at Memorial its going to take a lot to rebuild the relationship with the city. Naturally the city is going to be very wary of any new league/team.

[quote=""JoesFan""]Charlotte is also in the downtown revival I see. I'm going to a Charlotte Knights game this weekend. I hear that they will be getting a new stadium in downtown Charlotte, so folks won't have to drive "way out to" Rock Hill...
[/quote]

The new ballpark in Charlotte will be a good thing for the Knights. Most of their fanbase is in Charlotte and so only the weekend games are well attended. Plus the stadium is not an inviting place to watch a game (a lot of concrete) and lacks the nostalgic, retro look popular with casual fans. On top of that there is a lot of corporate money in Charlotte, so a downtown stadium makes sense (a LOT of cents) for them.

Check your PM.

MikeH
Site Admin

Post by MikeH » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:14 am

[quote=""wellington""]Plus by moving the walls in its much easier to view the sponsors logos. :D

You are probably right. Plus the whole SCL saga (including the seat debacle) isn't going to help things. If (a big IF at this point) a new baseball team sets up shop at Memorial its going to take a lot to rebuild the relationship with the city. Naturally the city is going to be very wary of any new league/team.

The new ballpark in Charlotte will be a good thing for the Knights. Most of their fanbase is in Charlotte and so only the weekend games are well attended. Plus the stadium is not an inviting place to watch a game (a lot of concrete) and lacks the nostalgic, retro look popular with casual fans. On top of that there is a lot of corporate money in Charlotte, so a downtown stadium makes sense (a LOT of cents) for them.

Check your PM.[/quote]

Well, I have a meeting July 1st with Anderson, and afterwards, JoesFan and myself will head to Greenville to catch the game.

We have plans for Anderson Memorial. We will sell typical sponsorships for dugout tops, bullpens, outfield signage, etc.

What we will ask Anderson is if we may reserve the right to sell naming rights. We plan to make some major improvements, which will cause us to start in 2010 at the latest.

Plus the Charlotte move has hindered our plans for Fort Mill. We have plans to move into Fort Mill once the Knights move. Then work on raising money from naming rights and a stadium fund to build a new stadium in Rock Hill.

Anyways, do not take me for these exact words, these are merely plans. We will see what happens with Anderson first.

Also, the Atlantic Coast League may have its first market. The market is yet to be announced due to specific contractual agreements still in place.

And, the ACL now has 2 partners added on that actually have faith in this league, and myself. They were brought on to help make this league the premier league in the Southeast.

Stay posted to http://www.atlanticcoastleague.org for upcoming announcements and news. Also, while you are there, please take time to vote for your favorite promotional giveaways.
**HOMETOWN CLUBS**
Durham Bulls (Class AAA International League)
Carolina Mudcats (Class AA Southern League)
Winston-Salem Dash (Class A Advanced Carolina League)
Greensboro Grasshoppers (Class A South Atlantic League)
Burlington Indians (Rookie Appalachian League)
**CINCINNATI REDS' AFFILIATIONS**
Louisville Bats
Carolina Mudcats
Dayton Dragons
Billings Mustangs

wellington
Site Admin

Post by wellington » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:07 pm

[quote=""MikeH""]Well, I have a meeting July 1st with Anderson, and afterwards, JoesFan and myself will head to Greenville to catch the game.

We have plans for Anderson Memorial. We will sell typical sponsorships for dugout tops, bullpens, outfield signage, etc.

What we will ask Anderson is if we may reserve the right to sell naming rights. We plan to make some major improvements, which will cause us to start in 2010 at the latest.

Plus the Charlotte move has hindered our plans for Fort Mill. We have plans to move into Fort Mill once the Knights move. Then work on raising money from naming rights and a stadium fund to build a new stadium in Rock Hill.

Anyways, do not take me for these exact words, these are merely plans. We will see what happens with Anderson first.

Also, the Atlantic Coast League may have its first market. The market is yet to be announced due to specific contractual agreements still in place.

And, the ACL now has 2 partners added on that actually have faith in this league, and myself. They were brought on to help make this league the premier league in the Southeast.

Stay posted to http://www.atlanticcoastleague.org for upcoming announcements and news. Also, while you are there, please take time to vote for your favorite promotional giveaways.[/quote]

There is definitely potential for minor league baseball in Rock Hill/Fort Mill especially with the Knights moving to uptown Charlotte. However, Knights Stadium is a huge facility -- probably not ideal for ACL -- but then again, that facility is likely going to sit vacant unless they decide it tear it down.

Have you looked into possibly using Winthrop's baseball stadium? Its a nice facility, but I'm not sure about alcohol sales.

Mark
Site Admin

Post by Mark » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:28 pm

So....................You're basically saying that they need to build a new stadium.

That's basically the opinion expressed by the players on 'Playing for Peanuts'. :rolleyes:

JoesFan
Site Admin

not entirely new!

Post by JoesFan » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:38 pm

[quote=""Mark""]So....................You're basically saying that they need to build a new stadium.

That's basically the opinion expressed by the players on 'Playing for Peanuts'. :rolleyes: [/quote]

Now now, we've got a nice field and new seats. We can build around those! :)

MikeH
Site Admin

Post by MikeH » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:47 pm

[quote=""wellington""]There is definitely potential for minor league baseball in Rock Hill/Fort Mill especially with the Knights moving to uptown Charlotte. However, Knights Stadium is a huge facility -- probably not ideal for ACL -- but then again, that facility is likely going to sit vacant unless they decide it tear it down.

Have you looked into possibly using Winthrop's baseball stadium? Its a nice facility, but I'm not sure about alcohol sales.[/quote]

Fort Mill is perfect for us, not stadium maintenance wise, but it will be the largest facility in our league in practically the smallest market, as far as the town itself goes, not the metropolitan area.

Winthrop will not respond back to me. I can call, however, possibly will never hear a response back either.

If anything, Rock Hill has a small 500+ seat ballpark that we may be able to use for the one season. It is not ideal, but it worked for the Continental League playing at high school stadiums.
**HOMETOWN CLUBS**
Durham Bulls (Class AAA International League)
Carolina Mudcats (Class AA Southern League)
Winston-Salem Dash (Class A Advanced Carolina League)
Greensboro Grasshoppers (Class A South Atlantic League)
Burlington Indians (Rookie Appalachian League)
**CINCINNATI REDS' AFFILIATIONS**
Louisville Bats
Carolina Mudcats
Dayton Dragons
Billings Mustangs

Return to “SCL”