SCL Comeback

The South Coast League (SCL) forum
MikeH
Site Admin

Post by MikeH » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:06 am

I do have to say, of all the threads in this forum, this is the most active one. And it is hardly about the SCL coming back. :infun:
**HOMETOWN CLUBS**
Durham Bulls (Class AAA International League)
Carolina Mudcats (Class AA Southern League)
Winston-Salem Dash (Class A Advanced Carolina League)
Greensboro Grasshoppers (Class A South Atlantic League)
Burlington Indians (Rookie Appalachian League)
**CINCINNATI REDS' AFFILIATIONS**
Louisville Bats
Carolina Mudcats
Dayton Dragons
Billings Mustangs

wellington
Site Admin

Post by wellington » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:16 am

[quote=""MikeH""]I do have to say, of all the threads in this forum, this is the most active one. And it is hardly about the SCL coming back. :infun: [/quote]

It sure is -- its about time the ACL got its own forum!

MikeH
Site Admin

Post by MikeH » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:31 am

First of all, I would like to think everyone who has shown their admiration and support for this league. It really means alot.

Also, I would like to say this to the 'glass is half empty' people who think I am stupid and clueless. I hope nlfan sees this.

You can ask anyone who has talked to me privately, and they will tell you I have all my ducks in a row.

If I know one thing the most in this world, it is my math and figures.

If the ACL can get Anderson, Anderson not will (typo here), but could see a profit in year 1.

I have broken it down to a couple of people who were stunned at the numbers.

Our attendance goal for Anderson is 500 per game. That is a low attendance.

All tickets at Anderson Memorial Stadium will be $5.00. That is an affordable ticket.

The season tickets are $180.00 a piece, with no deposit. In order to get on the list for season tickets for any franchise, email the league or the individual clubs. The order that the responses are received is the order tickets will go out.

We expect 1 season ticket holder in Anderson, that is JoesFan.

Figuring in game day ticket sales, concessions (food and non-alcoholic beverages), t-shirt sales, and hat sales, the Anderson club could make a profit with an average of 500 fans per game.

Again, math is my subject, and I know what it takes to run a club and what expenses are involved.

Majority of the expenses are one-time expenses.

Even league owned franchises are required to pay franchise fees and league dues.

Again, thank you to all the supporters we have out there. Once all the franchises are in place, I will personally hand deliver some special gifts to you at your door for FREE!
Last edited by MikeH on Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.
**HOMETOWN CLUBS**
Louisville Bats
Carolina Mudcats
Dayton Dragons
Billings Mustangs

wellington
Site Admin

Post by wellington » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:51 am

[quote=""MikeH""]
We expect 1 season ticket holder in Anderson, that is JoesFan.

[/quote]
Actually JoesFan and I are splitting the ticket. He's going to the Friday and Saturday games and any game with a promotion; I get left with all the weekday games. ;)

MikeH
Site Admin

Post by MikeH » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:04 am

[quote=""wellington""]Actually JoesFan and I are splitting the ticket. He's going to the Friday and Saturday games and any game with a promotion; I get left with all the weekday games. ;) [/quote]

Sounds good to me!

Anderson cannot tell us no once I present them with my proposal.
**HOMETOWN CLUBS**
Louisville Bats
Carolina Mudcats
Dayton Dragons
Billings Mustangs

JoesFan
Site Admin

Post by JoesFan » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:43 pm

[quote=""wellington""]Actually JoesFan and I are splitting the ticket. He's going to the Friday and Saturday games and any game with a promotion; I get left with all the weekday games. ;) [/quote]

Wellington must know that I am of Scottish heritage ...
ha ha!

Baseball Insider
Site Admin

Post by Baseball Insider » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:55 pm

Kearupt - The SCL wanted us to get $3,000.00 for a fence sign, but we had a difficult time getting that. We often had to "throw in" season tickets and things like that. In markets like Macon, where companies don't have tens of thousands to spend on "advertising" that is about the most you can expect to get - period. Macon is not like Atlanta. Omaha has much more of a middle class than markets in the south. You are right - it it about facility, and the economic level of the community. In macon, and many Southern markets, with poverty at about 25%, no one cares about baseball and anyone on this site - let's be honest. The rich folks don't want to go to an older stadium and fry in the sun. That is why newer stadiums are so important. We will agree to disagree - abotu Omaha. My friend works for UNO. Their college hockey team gets olike 15,000 a game. People are people. Just in some areas there are more and some pockets have more money.
I totally wasn't referring to you about SCL being poorly marketed. I try to adress a few folks on this forum. Eddie I think was the one. No team down south has really thrived in baseball, unless a new park. Just look at Burlington NC, Shreveport, LA - Augusta is actually doing OK but they have a newer stadium and the Ripken group is incredible. Look at how big their staff is. They can call everyone and really focus on customer service. It was hard for us to do that in macon and other SCL with small markets, and my guess is many looking to buy Indy teams down south won't make that important inverstment either - and think, the former SCL CEO said we were orstaffed?? Give me a break -

Mike - the best thing to do is show us all. Don't say it - but show us. The proof will be in the pudding. This reminds me of my former SCL CEO - towards the end of the season, the more people said the league would bust, the LOUDER he said "I know people think we won't be back for 2008 but not only will we be back, but we are excited." As a fan, I don't want to hear that. I want to actually SEE it. Your "naysayers" have a right to question you, while wishing you luck. It seems like you want control of the league (given your promotional ideas/things teams will do) but want private ownership?? If I did have money and wanted to be mandated what to do, trust me, I would buy a McDonald's franchise and not your league. At tleast the SCL told people (from what you said) that they wanted control. You have a target date no your website, but still no lease agreements. AGain, show us!! We want proof!!In speaking with several fans in macon, they want to know who you have lined up as an owner - if you are fan fan freindly, why not make that public knowledge?? If you said you have an owner in Macon, what better way to get fans involved with the team then to make it public? FOrstson just said that you "were a fan," that "had nothing." -what said we believe? I know you need to be flxible but we have also been told that your league can be successful in high school stadiums but you want a 20,000 seast stadium in Anderson, which "wasn't on your original target." Again, don't get defensive, but show us, prove that we are wrong. Anyone can say it will work, but show us it can.........

MikeH
Site Admin

Post by MikeH » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:35 pm

[quote=""Baseball Insider""]Mike - the best thing to do is show us all. Don't say it - but show us. The proof will be in the pudding. This reminds me of my former SCL CEO - towards the end of the season, the more people said the league would bust, the LOUDER he said "I know people think we won't be back for 2008 but not only will we be back, but we are excited." As a fan, I don't want to hear that. I want to actually SEE it. Your "naysayers" have a right to question you, while wishing you luck. It seems like you want control of the league (given your promotional ideas/things teams will do) but want private ownership?? If I did have money and wanted to be mandated what to do, trust me, I would buy a McDonald's franchise and not your league. At tleast the SCL told people (from what you said) that they wanted control. You have a target date no your website, but still no lease agreements. AGain, show us!! We want proof!!In speaking with several fans in macon, they want to know who you have lined up as an owner - if you are fan fan freindly, why not make that public knowledge?? If you said you have an owner in Macon, what better way to get fans involved with the team then to make it public? FOrstson just said that you "were a fan," that "had nothing." -what said we believe? I know you need to be flxible but we have also been told that your league can be successful in high school stadiums but you want a 20,000 seast stadium in Anderson, which "wasn't on your original target." Again, don't get defensive, but show us, prove that we are wrong. Anyone can say it will work, but show us it can.........[/quote]

Let me ask you, what is the point to announce the potential owner of a market if they turn me down?

I have had numerous people ask me about ownership, however, they wanted me to have the leases before they came in as owners.

Also, where did I ever say I want full control with private ownership?

I never said I was building a 20,000 seat stadium in Anderson.

Another thing, Anderson was not on my target list. But when I seen the SCL was folding, and they are defunct no matter what anyone says, I sent an email just to inquire about their lease in Anderson, the same thing I did with Macon. I received no response so I moved on. Then long behold, I was contacted by Scott Adamson, under his own free will and no knowledge to me.

I have proof of all this, because I have the email saved. I also never once mentioned I was waiting until the SCL folded to take their markets and take their logos and crap.

If you notice, I recently joined these forums last month. I joined because I saw the Atlantic Coast League was being mentioned. Seeing as how I am majority owner of the ACL, I felt I should join and address questions and comments.

I'm not in the public like the SCL because I have been trying to maintain a low profile about it until everything was complete. I will not announce an owner for a market if the market does not even let me tell them who it is. Larry Fortson did not want to hear about my owner.

Also, back on the 20,000 seat thing, come one, that is not even feasible right now. It even said long range. That is my dream for the ACL way into the future. I never said that would happen.

You haven't bashed me as bad as others, however, one thing you have to remember, you cannot believe everything you read in the paper.

Billy Byler calls me acting all nice but slams me. All the reporters called me and acted all nice, but in the end, bashed me.

Aiken definitely was never on my target list, and I even told some people on here, Aiken would be pointless because of the SCL fiasco.

Having money to run a league is not a guaranteed success for the league. That is what Fortson believes. He also believes that they can get affiliated ball back? Not until you spend around $25-$40 million for a new stadium. I think I have enough knowledge that money can disappear quickly, especially if it was spent frivelously, and that the fact Minor League Baseball has new stadium regulations that Macon does not meet. Maybe Larry Fortson should go check out the new MiLB stadium regs?

A direct quote from me to Scott Adamson, "We would love to have Anderson as a team, and hopefully build a new more state of the art minor league park in Anderson to ensure longevity in the city."

That said a more state of the art stadium, not a 20,000 seat stadium.

I'm not trying to be defensive or rude, however, I do things my way which is a bit more quiet.

And as far as franchises, their contracts will have clauses. Mostly because these teams will be sporting MY logo, the ACL logo. If they do something to tarnish the name of this league, I won't stand for it.

Now that I have 2 partners, they agree. They have seen what I am doing. One was just here this week and we sat here and he saw exactly everything I have and knows first hand what I am doing.
**HOMETOWN CLUBS**
Louisville Bats
Carolina Mudcats
Dayton Dragons
Billings Mustangs

Kearupt
Site Admin

Post by Kearupt » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:01 pm

[quote=""Baseball Insider""]Kearupt - The SCL wanted us to get $3,000.00 for a fence sign, but we had a difficult time getting that. We often had to "throw in" season tickets and things like that. In markets like Macon, where companies don't have tens of thousands to spend on "advertising" that is about the most you can expect to get - period. Macon is not like Atlanta. Omaha has much more of a middle class than markets in the south. You are right - it it about facility, and the economic level of the community. In macon, and many Southern markets, with poverty at about 25%, no one cares about baseball and anyone on this site - let's be honest. The rich folks don't want to go to an older stadium and fry in the sun. That is why newer stadiums are so important. We will agree to disagree - abotu Omaha. My friend works for UNO. Their college hockey team gets olike 15,000 a game. People are people. Just in some areas there are more and some pockets have more money.
I totally wasn't referring to you about SCL being poorly marketed. I try to adress a few folks on this forum. Eddie I think was the one. No team down south has really thrived in baseball, unless a new park. Just look at Burlington NC, Shreveport, LA - Augusta is actually doing OK but they have a newer stadium and the Ripken group is incredible. Look at how big their staff is. They can call everyone and really focus on customer service. It was hard for us to do that in macon and other SCL with small markets, and my guess is many looking to buy Indy teams down south won't make that important inverstment either - and think, the former SCL CEO said we were orstaffed?? Give me a break -

Mike - the best thing to do is show us all. Don't say it - but show us. The proof will be in the pudding. This reminds me of my former SCL CEO - towards the end of the season, the more people said the league would bust, the LOUDER he said "I know people think we won't be back for 2008 but not only will we be back, but we are excited." As a fan, I don't want to hear that. I want to actually SEE it. Your "naysayers" have a right to question you, while wishing you luck. It seems like you want control of the league (given your promotional ideas/things teams will do) but want private ownership?? If I did have money and wanted to be mandated what to do, trust me, I would buy a McDonald's franchise and not your league. At tleast the SCL told people (from what you said) that they wanted control. You have a target date no your website, but still no lease agreements. AGain, show us!! We want proof!!In speaking with several fans in macon, they want to know who you have lined up as an owner - if you are fan fan freindly, why not make that public knowledge?? If you said you have an owner in Macon, what better way to get fans involved with the team then to make it public? FOrstson just said that you "were a fan," that "had nothing." -what said we believe? I know you need to be flxible but we have also been told that your league can be successful in high school stadiums but you want a 20,000 seast stadium in Anderson, which "wasn't on your original target." Again, don't get defensive, but show us, prove that we are wrong. Anyone can say it will work, but show us it can.........[/quote]

Some good points. However, I know those hockey numbers are very wrong. UNO hockey has never averaged 5 figures. They're the second most popular sporting event in Omaha behind the CWS, but the Qwest Center capacity for hockey is only 14,000 and change, and they play in front of a half-full arena. Actual numbers are right at 8,000, average.

As far as Anderson, and this is just my opinion, I think Mike was trying to show that the numbers he has worked out for himself show a profit is possible. I know it sounded like he was saying that that was the way it would be in Anderson, but I think he meant it more along the lines of, "if this is the way it was".

As far as the Macon situation, Mike may not be announcing the possible owner because Macon refused to talk with Mike. Therefore, the owner has to approach Macon himself, and it could be his wish that nothing is said, until he actually talks to Macon.

gameon
Site Admin

Holy...

Post by gameon » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:26 pm

Wow,
I've been gone for about three weeks - drilling for oil- but there sure has been a lot of activity on this little thread I started way back when.

What's up with all the bashing? This started as a nice little discussion about the merits of an SCL comeback and then turned to talk about an alternative league instead. Then, a lot of you jumped on the bash MikeH bandwagon because that one "knowbetter" cat came on for two posts to blast him.

Well, I've never worked in sports, I'm just a big fan, but I have worked all of my life since age 13. It seems to me if all you have is a bash for someone in two posts and then you just disappear, you should just keep your big mouth shut, in the first place. If you really have twenty years of baseball experience, contact Mike and offer to help, don't criticize him because he has the sac to try and do it and you don't! All of you bandwagon-bashers, MikeH has absolutely nothing to do with your sour grapes! To jump in and bash him before he's actually failed shows a lack of class and professionalism, and perhaps gives the rest of us an insight into the true failure of the SCL! And no, that statement doesn't take JayTee off the hook because he held the ultimate responsibility and was responsible for hiring you. However, atleast he has had the testicular fortitude to come on here and stand up and take the heat!
The rest of you cowardly know-it-alls should just go away, not mad, just go away! Maybe then, we can get back to productive discussion and eventually see some indy baseball in the South!

Return to “SCL”