SCL Comeback

The South Coast League (SCL) forum
gameon
Site Admin

Post by gameon » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:08 pm

[quote=""Baseball Insider""]Game On - If Mike can't take a little heat and a little "bashing" he doesn't need to start a league. Ask JayTee how many times he has been on the "hot seat." I give him credit. For the most part, he has sttod his ground, and defended himself. Trust me man, he will be in the hot seat a lot more, if this league gets going. Know better brought up some valid points, what a momumental task he is facing. Maybe if some of the vendors, employess (like myself) people who take past leagues to court, only to have the league not show up, fans, knew some of this, potential/current owners, evevryone who knew just what a difficult taks this is, then there wouldn't be the uproar there is about when it doesn't work.[/quote]

I'm not saying Mike shouldn't have to take heat, or that people don't have the right to question him. I was questioning the timing of the heat and the seeming fickleness of some of those who were not bashing until knowbetter did.
I still don't understand the point of bashing him before the league is even up and running. That's just counterproductive and could even make it harder for him. I especially don't see the point for the media bashing in possible markets, except that their agenda is to not have pro sports in their markets, so they won't have to work as much.
Some criticism following a productive line of questioning can actually help the process and point out difficulties or missed issues to him, and I think for the most part, he has been forthcoming and has welcomed the debates, and has even used some of the negative comments to make positive change.
However, I stick to my guns concerning knowbetter! Two posts with nothing but bashing and personal attacks and then just going away is unprofessional and childish. Personally, I don't see where he would get 20 years of pro baseball experience with that attitude. He wouldn't last 20 minutes in the oil and gas industry. The first personal attack would get him black-balled and he'd never find work again! Then again, he was able to use the anonymity of this forum to make his rant. And, at least, he did go away! :-D

MikeH
Site Admin

Post by MikeH » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:44 pm

[quote=""gameon""]I'm not saying Mike shouldn't have to take heat, or that people don't have the right to question him. I was questioning the timing of the heat and the seeming fickleness of some of those who were not bashing until knowbetter did.
I still don't understand the point of bashing him before the league is even up and running. That's just counterproductive and could even make it harder for him. I especially don't see the point for the media bashing in possible markets, except that their agenda is to not have pro sports in their markets, so they won't have to work as much.
Some criticism following a productive line of questioning can actually help the process and point out difficulties or missed issues to him, and I think for the most part, he has been forthcoming and has welcomed the debates, and has even used some of the negative comments to make positive change.
However, I stick to my guns concerning knowbetter! Two posts with nothing but bashing and personal attacks and then just going away is unprofessional and childish. Personally, I don't see where he would get 20 years of pro baseball experience with that attitude. He wouldn't last 20 minutes in the oil and gas industry. The first personal attack would get him black-balled and he'd never find work again! Then again, he was able to use the anonymity of this forum to make his rant. And, at least, he did go away! :-D [/quote]

To add to gameon, I also never said I couldn't take the bashing. It does hurt a little due to the fact I am trying to do something good, and every time I turn around, I am being bashed, and even in the Augusta Chronicle, put below an equestrian league.

Also as Jamie said, I have the option to answer any question I feel. I am not obligated to answer every question. I am doing everything I can, and so are my partners.

As Kearupt stated, I can release information about owners when the time is right. To protect the privacy of my owners, they will not be revealed.

Larry Fortson barely gave me the time of day, therefore he does not deserve to know the owner.

It is pointless to tell the people of Macon I have an owner but the city refused us.

People are all about my experience.

You want my experience?

I had been an athlete for 11 years before my sports playing days came to a crashing halt at 18.

Everyone wants to bash me, and all I dream about is working in sports. I love sports. It is my life, always has been.

I played football, hockey, basketball, and soccer. I never played baseball, I suck at baseball. Maybe out of 100 pitches, I may hit 1. And that 1 hit usually ends in a homerun hit.

I've been an assistant manager, manager, statistician, scoreboard operator, and scorer for various sports through high school. I earned my varsity letter doing that. My second term on the women's basketball team, I was promoted to Assistant Coach, while still a student.

At 18, my world came to an abrupt end. I blew out my knee, basically, and I tore my shoulder in a football game. For the past 10 years, I have been nursing a bad knee (hockey), a bad shoulder (football), and a bad back (hockey).

I had an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon this morning fearing I was going to have to have surgery to repair my shoulder. All that is wrong with my shoulder is it had no rehablitation. I may still have to have knee surgery to repair it.

After my diagnosis, and the fact I was told I had to officially "retire" from sports at the age of 21, I went through a huge depression stage. I mainly focused on coaching youth sports. I wanted to be a positive role model for youngsters who play sports.

It was my duty to help teach them how to win, how to have fun, and not to make sports your life.

I relied on sports to be my future, however, my future was shot.

Had I been healthy, I would either be in the NHL, the NFL, MLS and the USA National Soccer Team.

However, again, I had career ending injuries before there was any career. If I could go back and change it all, I would.

However, I cannot regret the fact that I am able to teach kids how to be competitive, respectfully of course, and even make sure they understand sports is not a guaranteed life. You can have sports but you need school first.

Whether I have ever worked for a league or a franchise is beside the point.

I incorporated the Atlantic Coast League for Professional Baseball out of my own money. Therefore that legally makes me the President and the Chairman, seeing as how I am majority shareholder of the entire company.

I have a Chief Operating Officer that has worked in sports.

My Chief Development Officer took his team to back to back championships and won 1 of them.

I have a Director of Baseball Operations that will be hired by the end of the year, or by the start of the season who is currently a field manager of an independent baseball franchise.

What hurts is the critism I have received, and yet, no one one here knows me personally.

I joined these boards because I had seen the ACL mentioned. It was my obligation to join and address any and all questions.

Everyone had mentioned they wanted to know more about me, Kearupt and gameon. Well, I am here.

I am criticized enough in the media, and for what, wanting to provide a stable league for the Southeast?

I understand there will be critics, I have no beef with that. However, as fans of baseball, and possibly potential fans of the ACL, instead of slamming me, why not try to get to know me?

JoesFan has been my biggest supporter. This is the reason him and I are taking in a Drive game during my trip to Anderson.

My whole intention is to be as loyal as possible to the fans. Bend over backwards to give them what they want. Find owners that will do the same.

With the staff I have already, and the potential staff members I will be getting, this league can thrive.

I never meant to intentionally knock the SCL. I apologize if I came across that way.

I especially publicly apologize to Jamie for my comment. Some may have taken it as disrespect. I did not call him a tool to be mean, I was playfully calling him one. I even made a face beside of it.

Jamie, I personally and publicly apologize for that comment. It was not meant to be an insult.

I respect Jamie Toole, and what he busted his butt trying to do for the SCL. As I stated, I had hoped to have an All-Star game with the SCL once my league went into operation. It would have been a wonderful thing for the ACL and SCL fans.

Jamie, I know you did everything you could, and of course you made some enemies along the way, but who hasn't right?

The only place I actually wanted from the SCL market was Macon. Scott Adamson contacted me, not the other way around.

I was fully unaware he was writing an article. What I told him about shutting down was the fact that if this league was not able to gain stability to secure markets and capital, it was pointless to keep going. I did not want to go out like the SCL. That is not a good feeling. To know you put your heart and soul into something with the best intentions, and then everything collapses, that is the worst feeling.

What was Jamie to do? He didn't call al the shots if the JackHammers had majority ownership.

If anyone is to blame, blame the JackHammers for pulling the plug instead of trying to figure out a solution.

If everyone would just give me a break and allow me to keep my promise, everything will be gravy.

My goal is and always will be to bring a stable independent league to the Southeast.

With all of that said, I have to get back to work. I truly hope most of you do come out to support some of the franchises. I know JoesFan will since he has already placed his name on the Anderson list for season tickets.

As for the SCL team names, I intended to keep the names if the fans wanted the name the same.

I had more votes in favor of keeping the South Georgia Peanuts. However, to avoid any legal issues with the SCL just in case they did trademark the names, we will not use the Music, Joes, or the Peanuts. it was not our intention to steal anything of the SCL. Their markets are up for grabs due to all the leases being terminated. The names and logos were only to be used if the fans wanted it.
Last edited by MikeH on Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
**HOMETOWN CLUBS**
Durham Bulls (Class AAA International League)
Carolina Mudcats (Class AA Southern League)
Winston-Salem Dash (Class A Advanced Carolina League)
Greensboro Grasshoppers (Class A South Atlantic League)
Burlington Indians (Rookie Appalachian League)
**CINCINNATI REDS' AFFILIATIONS**
Louisville Bats
Carolina Mudcats
Dayton Dragons
Billings Mustangs

Return to “SCL”