R.I.P South Coast League

The South Coast League (SCL) forum
Mark
Site Admin

R.I.P South Coast League

Post by Mark » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:24 pm

I recently asked, "Is this it for the SCL?" I have my answer, now. I realize that the owners say they are planning on a re-activation in 2009, but my reading of their announcement is that if a re-activation does occur, it won't happen with them owning the league. That pretty well indicates that this league is dead, dead, dead!

The gang of us 'behind home plate guys' were speculating last September that the problems surrounding independent baseball might be too insurmountable for any league to overcome. One of the guys (Hi, Bruce), had held season tickets to just about every team to try and make it in Albany over the last 20 years, and listening to him tick off the list of has-beens, it quickly became apparent that making it as an indy is no easy matter.

Even with all my predictions of impending doom, it still saddens me to see it all come to pass. We all knew this was inevitable, but it didn't stop us hoping the underdogs could make it some how. I kept checking the net all day Friday in hopes I'd see something that would keep that hope alive. When I saw the headlines in the Albany Herald Saturday morning, I felt both vindicated and so, so disappointed.

Here's hoping that all those new people the league just hired will be able to find new jobs soon and that last year's players can all find a spot on a roster somewhere.
Last edited by Mark on Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: rewording of the first paragraph

Return to “SCL”