Is it over for the SCL?

The South Coast League (SCL) forum
Mark
Site Admin

Is it over for the SCL?

Post by Mark » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:51 pm

The Anderson newspaper reported today that Toole may be out as CEO of the league. If this is the case, is this it for the league, then? Was he removed by the money boys or is this a case of the rats deserting the ship? With so many people leaving, it makes one wonder if Toole has quietly left the building.

If Toole is indeed gone--and I'm not arguing it would be any great tragedy--then it's my sincere hope that the League's investors have finally come to see that most of the league's problems stem from the central office and not from the local team managers. If they have, and if they are still committed to bringing Baseball to small markets, then this league stands a chance of succeeding. If Toole left because he saw a way of avoiding unemployment, then it looks bleak for those of us who were looking forward to year 2. Hotels are already refusing to house the teams this year, and with markets shrinking, it's going to be a tough time for us all.

Has anyone seen anything definitive?
Has the League made any statements?
Are the tryouts still on schedule?

I know there are League officials that look at this site, given that their website links to this place. I promise that I won't attack anyone from the main office who'd like to comment, although I reserve the right to disagree with you. How about a press release, y'all!
Last edited by Mark on Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Baseball Insider
Site Admin

Post by Baseball Insider » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:09 pm

As somone who at one point was very close to this league, let me assure you, while Toole does deserve a fair share of the blame, he is not alone, and anyone who thinks differently is wrong. Look at South Georgia - last year they were scrambling like a month before the season to get group pricing, birthday packages and those things done. That is not the league's thought. Anderson had all kinds of trouble all year with the tarp. One game, they called it (on a Satuday) and the tarp wasn't even on the field, and the stadium looked like a mess. Look at Aiken. They were lucky to get more than 100 people a game on the weeknights - I belive they had about 6 dogs on their dog day. Again, part of the problem may have been the league running out of money, and not hiring enough people. The brass should have known it is very tough markets down here, and many teams have failed, and should have had plenty of cash in reserve. Toole in his defense will say that every team missed their sales mark, and revenues weren't what they projected. While many bloggers like myself are interested in this league, the average fan is not, and the national press it has received will not pay the bills. With the economy spiraling downwards, The Devil Rays not allowing the SCL in Charlotte County next year, the SCL putting off building the batting cage in AIken this year to next, jsu about a whole off season wated, I don't see how they can continue, but you never know. They may tray and give it a go and hope some investors come in - trust me though. Toole is not alone in getting the blame. He is the point guy, but he is not alone......

S.Sox
Site Admin

Post by S.Sox » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:27 pm

I must say I was jealous last year when the opening week numbers came out for attendance.
As an outsider and former Aiken, SC resident I was really impressed with the SCL.

It is very concerning about the developements and future of this league, hopefully some of the investors find a way to continue their support.

S.Sox

Baseball Insider
Site Admin

Post by Baseball Insider » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:36 pm

The opening of the SCL was a very special time. Part of that was the league spent a ton of money on marketing, advertising, etc. The big name managers, stadium improvements and those sorts of things really gave the league credibility.
By the time the middle of the summer came though, expenses started to pile up, bills weren't getting paid, and attendance sank. Teams may have reported about 1,000, but not the case....
Now I am really worried, as it seems like the SCL wants to expand as quick as it can (even after shrinking to 4 teams) as they seem to think that will raise the value of the league (rather than fix current teams).
It may make it a couple more months, as once the season starts, they will get cash to pay some debt from last year, but as you know, that is only a band-aid solution. They desperately need someone who is committed to putting in resources for this for the long haul.....easier said than done.
I give Toole credit. I think when he got this going, he had the right intentions, and his heart was in the right place. Rather than say these markets need baseball, he acted on it. A shame how it is turning out......

kekemortson
Site Admin

Oh No.

Post by kekemortson » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:22 am

Not good news in my opinion. But, you always know that black cloud hangs over the minor leagues, especially Indy leagues. As a Macon hockey (Oh where are you Macon Whoopee) fan, I am used to this, but it is sad none the less. Hopefully there will be baseball this season and my family can make the trek up I-75 and soak in the atmosphere at Luther Williams Field.

There is never (almost) just one person to blame for anything.....

Below is the article from WMAZ as this story broke on the 6 o'clock news here in Macon.

Toole Steps Down

Last Update: 3/25/2008 7:09:45 PM
Author: Chris Porter

The South Coast League's CEO stepped down Tuesday.

According to a news release posted on OurSportsCentral.com Jaime Toole resigned effective immediately.

Toole is one of the league's founders and has served as CEO since the league began in October 2005.

Macon Music Manager Chad Parker says, the news that Toole stepped down is disturbing.

"It's just very unsettling, not knowing," he says. "He was the visionary for the whole league, and with him leaving now, it's just.. you don't know who to turn to and where. It's just very disturbing. We've got a lot of time and effort put into the city of Macon."

Parker went to say the news is more disturbing because the Music are set to start their season May 15th and the league has no leader.
http://www.13wmaz.com/sports/sports_sto ... ryid=50594

kekemortson
Site Admin

Update: South Coast League CEO resigns, season could be in jeopardy

Post by kekemortson » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:51 pm

From the Macon Telegraph:

By Jay Adams - jadams@macon.com

Toole, one of the original founders of the SCL, stepped down and cited the need for a fresh approach to the league's problems as the reason, among others.

Toole said there have been a number of different scenarios discussed concerning the future of the league, including suspending play for the 2008 season.

"I don't think we've ever talked about going away for good, just shutting the door and that's it," Toole said during a phone interview this evening. "We've evaluated every aspect of how do you, quite frankly, get better than you were last year. And I think probably every organization does that."

SCL chief development officer J.D. Hardin has been made the contact person for the league, but Toole would not say whether Hardin would become the CEO on an interim basis.

The SCL will now talk with its ownership, the Joliet Jackhammers - an independent team in Joliet, Ill. - concerning what's going to happen next. Hardin said he plans on speaking with the ownership this week and having the season's future, as well as that of the league, known by the end of the week.

"It is kind of up in the air," Hardin said. "I am just as surprised as anybody else about this development with Jamie, so that definitely throws a big question mark out there: What's the next step?"

Hardin said the league is moving forward as if it will still play this season, which is slated to start for the Macon Music on May 15.

Toole and the SCL recently drew the ire of fans when it announced the Music would be holding an unorthodox promotion known as Eliot Spitzer Night. After criticism poured in, the Music held an online poll in which fans voted to determine the fate of the promotion. More than 55 percent of those who voted wanted the event canceled, and it was subsequently dropped from the promotion schedule.

Toole has also come under fire for outstanding debt the SCL owes different entities. Former employees of the SCL, as well as private vendors, have contacted The Telegraph about money the league still owes them. In Macon, the water and power at Luther Williams Field have been shut off due to money the SCL owes the city.

"We've still got a couple things to get straightened out there," said Toole, who will remain with the league as a minority owner. "We've got a lot of housecleaning left to do. I think we'll continue to do that. We've made great strides over the last 60 days.

"I'll tell you, it's kind of been a blessing in disguise because people we've approached here in Macon and in other markets, they want to see baseball there. They don't want to see Luther Williams sit empty for another three or four years."

While Toole and Hardin said there is still a possibility of playing the season, one of the league's managers isn't sticking around to find out for sure. Toole said Reggie Harris, manager of the Anderson Joes, is currently looking for another job because he heard the league will not play a season this year.

"Reggie, this is his first year in independent baseball, and I think he's heard some things from previous people who were involved with the league, and he's out there trying to see if there's another league on more solid footing," Toole said.

Toole also said he recently made the decision to reduce the salary cap for the league from $75,000 to $60,000.

"What we basically had come to the conclusion is we're out here trying to clean up some of these bills and take care of these vendors; we can't pay $1,500 a month to pay players," Toole said. "We've got to be very smart about that. Not to mention, if these players are here for the right reason, they're not here for the paycheck. They're here for an opportunity, a platform, to get back to an organization."

Mark
Site Admin

Post by Mark » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:48 pm

I just tried the email links on the websites. They're all dead. That could be another case of a vendor suspending services until the bills are paid, but given the scuttlebutt flying around, it looks like one more indication of impending doom.

And as to the laying of blame, Baseball Insider is right in saying that Toole was not the only problem child in the league. In hindsight, there was a definite pattern of mismanagement running all the way from poor planning to questionable hiring. Add to that the inability to manage the bottom line, and this disaster was bound to happen. In that light, the whole system was flawed from the beginning.

Perhaps it was just a case of a group of real baseball fans playing at management. I know that management in the big leagues is a dirty word, especially to the unions, but you've got to give 'em credit: They've managed to keep it together for over 100 years now.

I don't know about you, but the real disappointment I feel is not connected to the money I spent on 2008 season tickets. I truly love minor league sports. It wipes me out to think that to see live baseball this summer that I'll have to go to Atlanta to watch the prima donas play.

But who knows? I could be throwing dirt on 'em and they ain't even dead yet!

And for the record Kekemortson, I miss the Trax, too.
Last edited by Mark on Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Forgot something. . . .

Return to “SCL”