Hello? Is anybody out there?

The South Coast League (SCL) forum
BaseballKid3
Site Admin

Hello? Is anybody out there?

Post by BaseballKid3 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:16 pm

???????????
Last edited by BaseballKid3 on Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

S.Sox
Site Admin

???

Post by S.Sox » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:48 pm

bk3,
Thats not good news at all.......

I did some investigating on the GBL this winter, I called the team offices from time to time and always got an answer, thank goodness....

S.Sox

HRsports
Site Admin

Maybe this article will shed a little light on the SCL for you!

Post by HRsports » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:38 pm

http://www.aikenstandard.com/0203scl_story

It seems that the SCL is in a financial mess right now. They say they are doing their best to fix it but it seems that might not be the case if you read between the lines of the comments of this article.

In past months I have read about the City of Albany about to sue the league, league hotels filing suit against the league for owed bills, managers being owed paychecks, staff layoffs in September of last year, former employees being owed reimbursements, paychecks bouncing and even issues with a team having a place to play in 2008.

Then they go and throw a team in a place where 20 minutes away there is affiliated ball being played.

In fact today I just read where a very baseball savy group is looking to purchase the Tampa Rays Vero Beach A-ball team and move it to Charlotte County for the 2009 season. How are you going to have an affiliated team and an Indy team share a field? I don't think the group about to purchase the Vero Beach club will allow that to happen.

Obviously it will not happen and the Rays will have priority!

Indy Graveyard ........ you might want to get the shovels out!

SECBaseball
Site Admin

Post by SECBaseball » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:11 pm

You guys are worrying too much. I know folks that work for them.

The schedule hold-up is minor. Each market is working towards next season.

Of course we all know about the money issues. It seems that is all the media wants to focus on. However, do they state that the league was 2nd in getting the most number of guys back to the affiliated teams? Of course not. Do they tell about the kids club that let all kids under the age of 12 into games....nope!

Jackson. I don't know if you have seen that stadium, but it looks like a great venue and we all know how affiliated teams take for granted their status as an entertainment provider. They think people will flock to them. Indy teams out hustle them by far and I don't think the new team will have any troubles at all. And the Braves are worst of all at resting on their laurels (sp?). They get out hustled or don't like the cotton candy provider at their stadium and they pick up and move elsewhere, leaving a town with a hefty price tag.

The south coast league will be fine. Just you watch!
Last edited by SECBaseball on Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

heavesrock
Site Admin

Post by heavesrock » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:20 pm

So you are saying we should all ignore the 800 pound gorilla in the room? If you were owed 15,000 bucks you wouldn't be too happy either if it wasn't paid. Who cares that people could lose their livelihoods because the SCL won't pay them? After all, they have a kid's club!

Getting the most players to the minor leagues means little. It means only that you have lots of young players who have some potential. Not that you have great talent. The better don't have as many players called up because they have experienced vets who know how to play.
Vermont Frost Heaves fan site: http://freewebs.com/frostheavesfans

Frost Heaves Forum: http://frostheaves.proboards.com

HRsports
Site Admin

Post by HRsports » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:28 am

Maybe one of the reasons that the league is in trouble financially is because they let in almost every kid under 12 for free. Great concept but most likely each team would have had to bring in $20,000 in sponsorships to offset the revenue lost by free admission and money spent on T-shirts and membership cards.

I will bet the Kids club in the South Coast League isn't FREE this year. In fact I have seen at least one club, Anderson, promoting it with a $5 charge.

For the Independent teams that succeed it is about a lot of entertainment and winning. Putting a team together that will win a Championship to keep interest in a market/team.

Affiliated ball is more about the game and getting players to the next level.

I know, I know you can argue that is what Indy ball is about too but over 50% of Indy players signed by affiliated teams are released in less that 1 year of their signing and it rises to over 75% that are released within 2 years or less of being signed by an affiliated club. The only gain is $3,000 for each player that is signed.

I know I don't say "Gee what team/league had the most players signed by affiliated clubs? I think I will go watch them!"

As for teams leaving a city with a "hefty price tag" .............. is that much different than owing half the town money as the South Coast League seems to in almost everywhere they played in 2007?
Last edited by HRsports on Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: .

ca
Site Admin

jackson MS

Post by ca » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:34 am

a jackson ms club in the scl can work since indy ball is a diiferent creature than dependant ball . the old quote "of root root root for the home team" really applies in indy ball since the mlb scouts basically told these kids you werent any good anywho . many of these kids got passed over w/o ever getting a shot past college ball (and btw college players are pretty good) and theyre are many programs in MS that have had players that would love to play for a MS team . plus the fans would like to see these guys again as well in a pk that many probably feel still has some use left in it and markets like most of the ones in the scl are good ones . as for future markets for the scl id like to see them go after baton rouge as id like to see this concepts like the scl work

SECBaseball
Site Admin

Post by SECBaseball » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:55 am

So are most of you posters on here done with the SCL? I mean if they make right the things that have gone wrong are you still casting them to the side? That is what it sounds like.

No doubts, there are people owed money. And yes, it makes for better read for papers if there is a story with the negative slants that are currently being reported. But really, do you think that the papers/news would be reporting these things if it was some other business out there in the community? I would probably say no. The SCL has to know the publicity it is going to get just b/c of the nature of the industry they are in....Professional Baseball.

But I hope, that those who are so down on the SCL now will be around when they clean things up. I think most of you on here who are not so happy with the league were the same ones pumping it up earlier and until this thread, kept a positive attitude about the whole thing, chalking things up to the 'new'ness of the league.

If you look back at Indy baseball in the south, it doesn't fair too well in most places. I hope you all are wanting to still see this thing succeed. I know I am. And I am hoping that those owed money can empathize to a degree, while reflecting on the struggles they probably encountered during their first year of business.
Last edited by SECBaseball on Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

newarkeg
Site Admin

SCL's unpaid debts

Post by newarkeg » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:34 am

The Peanuts won the championship last year,the players were measured for championship rings which were never received,apparently this is another unpaid debt.By the way,try to give the young men trying to make it into the majors a little encouragement,enough of the derogatory statements.

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:32 pm

Why would the league owe for rings never received?

Return to “SCL”