OSC

OSC message Boards

As the home for independent and minor league sports, OurSports Central's message boards are the perfect place to discuss your favorite teams and leagues with other fans, players and team and league administrators. Our boards cover all the leagues represented on OSC including independent and minor league baseball, indoor and Arena football, outdoor and indoor lacrosse, mens and womens basketball, junior and minor league hockey, outdoor and indoor soccer and more. Before posting for the first time, please consult our FAQ. Contact us with any questions.

OurSports Central independent and minor league sports

#11   IP: 76.193.17.101
Old 12-24-2007, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QC_Hawks_fan View Post
the same can be said of the Riverhawks, nothing on the team web site as far as exhibition games against the Rockford Fury last week and this week, no roster, coach, sponsor information BUT, they are real and I mean the are REAL.

I had the opportunity to watch them in Rockford against the Fury and I must say it's the type of basketball that is fun to watch, physical, fast and professional.

I recommend to anyone within an hour of a team to go, you won't be disappointed.

Happy Holidays.
I live well within an hour of downtown Chicago. If I'm going to venture into the city, then I might as well catch a Bull's game. Beyond ego (the ability to impress chicks in bars), I can't understand the logic behind locating teams in Dallas and Chicago. Isn't there enough to do in those towns?
  #12   IP: 70.106.192.16
Old 12-26-2007, 09:17 AM

Default Anywhere but Chicago

would be and is a good place for a team in minor league sports.

UPDATE as to team ownership for Chicago: George Bellevue, sound familiar? ABA Chicago Throwbacks owner. The league will be monitoring him and the operation of the team very carefully, first time he stumbles, not even falls the league jumps in and takes over the operation of the team.

Had an opportunity to see the Throwbacks, I hope they get some experienced players or they will be spanked.

OH, by the way, they were schedule, ABA Throwbacks, to travel to Taiwan, the PBL office instructed them you go and you are OUT. The Throwbacks will not be traveling to Taiwan with red, white and blue balls.
  #13   IP: 24.199.220.227
Old 12-26-2007, 11:41 AM

This is really not confidence inspiring, but I don't know much about this organization. This is definitely a weak link it seems. The PBL must have really wanted something in Chicago for some reason. Most of the other teams appear to have their acts together so far.

I hear what Ken is saying about minor league teams in major league cities, although the Defenders may have an easier time in Dallas than the Krunk will in Atlanta, only because of the huge Dallas attendance numbers vs. the Hawks.
  #14   IP: 216.21.47.34
Old 12-26-2007, 12:22 PM

Default Disagree

The Throwbacks are a good team.

The owner is committed to keeping his ABA team alive - something that is quite difficult to do when every team around him is failing.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Throwbacks were put to sleep and then reincarnated as the Aztecas when the PBL season starts.
  #15   IP: 216.21.47.34
Old 12-26-2007, 12:29 PM

Default ...minor league in big cities

I also disagree with the statement that minor league teams wouldn't do well in big cities like Chicago.

If you look to hockey, Chicago has the Blackhawks in the NHL and the very popular Wolves in the AHL, plus a popular USHL (junior) hockey league team.

Prices in the majors are out of control. Families go to the minor league games because they can afford it. Generally speaking, a family of four can get into a minor league game for a fraction of the cost of the majors, and see a pretty good product.
  #16   IP: 24.199.220.227
Old 12-26-2007, 01:02 PM

cdamion, I hope you're right. To those wanting to follow the PBL and hoping they succeed where others seem to have failed, the issue really is all of the apparent scrambling at the 11th hour. As long as this scrambling isn't happening during the season, I supposed that based on many standards they will be ahead of the curve. As an example, I think the CBA announced the RGV team the day before their schedule came out and they seem to be managing their season. In 2 weeks we won't have to guess anymore. I would see it as a black eye if the PBL did not have a Chicago team running with a solid organization by season's start.
  #17   IP: 71.243.133.87
Old 12-26-2007, 03:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to tbayz1

The owners listed on the PBL site for the Chicago Aztecas are the same owners and GM that ran the Chicago Cometas of the ABA, who folded after 2 games.

So who knows whats going on in Chicago
  #18   IP: 216.21.47.34
Old 12-26-2007, 04:22 PM

Default will the real owner please step forward.

I saw that it was the same owner as the Cometas on the league website. The Cometas folded, I believe, because they had several no shows to start their season. I think he saw the writing on the wall with the ABA and got out quick.

My only basis for the owner of the Throwbacks owning the new Chicago team is this thread. I hope it is him that is going to own the Aztecas (I wouldnt mind at all if he changed the name either). The Throwbacks play in a nice facility - better than the high school gyms much of the ABA plays in.

I hope the league is viable. I do have my concerns with no website, no facility, no info, etc. less than 10 days before their first tip-off.

I'll snoop around for info and if I learn anything, I will post.
  #19   IP: 24.199.220.227
Old 12-26-2007, 04:48 PM

I just got some info 3rd hand that suggests that QC Hawks is correct and that this team will somehow be a joint effort of perhaps the Rochester team and the Throwbacks owner, if not the Throwbacks directly. Apparently this has been in the works for many weeks, but as usual the PBL doesn't announce it in advance.
  #20   IP: 216.21.47.34
Old 12-26-2007, 05:03 PM

Default Listed owner is not going to have a team this season

I called the number for the Aztecas on the website and the person (at a restaurant) said that he is not going to have a team this year. He is planning to have a team next year.