OSC

OSC message Boards

As the home for independent and minor league sports, OurSports Central's message boards are the perfect place to discuss your favorite teams and leagues with other fans, players and team and league administrators. Our boards cover all the leagues represented on OSC including independent and minor league baseball, indoor and Arena football, outdoor and indoor lacrosse, mens and womens basketball, junior and minor league hockey, outdoor and indoor soccer and more. Before posting for the first time, please consult our FAQ. Contact us with any questions.

OurSports Central independent and minor league sports

#71   IP: 216.205.224.10
Old 07-02-2007, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXT View Post
It will do well in Eastern Kentucky.

They will have some major sponsorship from Pepsi, Massey Energy(1 of US's largest producers of coal), and some of the larger businesses in Pike County like Pikeville Medical Center, the largest private employer in Kentucky,

There are over 150,000 people within 1 hours drive of Pikeville.
Hey Next,

Is any of that in the process yet? I know the Medical School (PCSOM), Pepsi and Massey Energy are right there. Plus, I can see Pikeville College doing a sponsorship, too. Also, I can't remember the name, but there's a Microsoft tech. assistants company or something like that there, too, where people needing help can call in. I almost worked there my last semester of school.

Also, there are a crap load of lawyers and Doctors. I recall people boasting that there were more millionaires in Pikeville than any of the other counties in KY. I saw the houses - that may be true! I would be shocked if this team didn't succeed. In fact...if it doesn't, it will be becasue it wasn't ran properly. Man, I really should figure out how I can come aboard there. That would be fun! Tough to leave Orlando, though.
  #72   IP: 71.182.185.109
Old 07-03-2007, 09:55 AM

Default I'm interested

to learn what kind of(if any) news coverage the Miners will get.
  #73   IP: 71.194.153.180
Old 07-03-2007, 11:15 AM

you going to be working for this team Zeke?

Frost Heaves Forum: http://frostheaves.proboards.com
  #74   IP: 216.205.224.10
Old 07-03-2007, 02:22 PM

I'd like to play, actually. I played at Pikeville College, which is right down the road from the new Expo Center. I would love to return, and I'm sure I could get butts in the seat.

I was the GM for the Orlando Aces, but I'm pretty much done with the ABA. The owner and I had conflicting views. Basically, he has no marketing savvy, and I think that I do. I'll show you an example - check these 2 websites out and tell me which one is better:

www.orlandoaces.com
www.2acesbasketball.com

I did the first one - he's been working on the new one, which he thinks is better.

Anyway, I've been trying to get in touch with the Pikeville team. I'd like to see if I could get involved, as a player or whatever. It seems like it's slow moving, though. You have a particular interest in Pikeville, Heaves?
  #75   IP: 71.194.153.180
Old 07-03-2007, 02:53 PM

Ah, OK. The first website is better, more in depth and informing. I've heard your story about the Aces. You seem to have done a pretty good job with them. Hopefully one day you will be able to pick up with an honest organization when your playing career is finished.

No particular interest in Pikeville, just seems to be an interesting market. I may wind up rooting for them as I currently have no favorite CBA team.

#76   IP: 216.205.224.10
Old 07-03-2007, 03:00 PM

Thanks, Heaves. And sorry if I come across a little bitter towards the ABA...I'm pretty hurt by the whole ordeal. I know you're a big time Frost Heaves fan!!! I just don't understand how people can be so manipulative and exploit people. It happens, but that doesn't make it feel any better when it does happen.

On the bright side, the Rochester Razorsharks said they would fly me in for a camp if I'd like. The rest would be up to me. I've been trying to tell these people - the PBL is all together. They're going to do big things. I mean, they have no obligation, but they know my story as well, and are trying to make good on how bad the ABA has been to me! The league has a lot of class!!!
  #77   IP: 66.63.217.106
Old 07-03-2007, 03:12 PM

Default A local's opinion

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the boards, but not to Pikeville, and I've been excited about a team coming here since March when there was a news conference on the radio during the high school basketball playoffs. I thought I might shed some light on things as I see them

I do think the local community can support a basketball team. As someone suggested, it's not just the city, but several surrounding counties that will be interested in making the drive here to see them play. The Expo Center is usually filled for the high school playoffs when they're held there. This is a basketball crazy state.

As far as competition for other sports, it won't come from EKU (or even Pikeville College), but it will come from The University of Kentucky, and local high school basketball. This whole part of the state bleeds Kentucky Blue like you can't imagine, even this far from Lexington.

My only concern comes from high school basketball. Like I said, they love it here, and fill the Expo Center during the playoffs. We had a baseball team here when the Frontier League was formed. A question our newspaper's sports editor often got was "Will this level of play be as good as our high schools?" I went to a few of their games, there wasn't a lot of support. So, even though the area can support this team, I don't know if they will. I hope they do, but that all remains to be seen.

I don't know enough about the CBA to know if this is a good fit for them. So, I'll leave you all to argue that

Media, we have one local newspaper, the Appalachain News-Express, www.news-expressky.com . They've already had a couple of articles on our new team. We're served by a TV station in Hazard, KY (WYMT - www.wymtnews.com) and several in Huntington/Charleston, WV (WSAZ - www.wsaz.com, WOWK - www.wowktv.com, WCHS - www.wchstv.com). I don't know if they've had any stories about the Miners yet.

Here is a link for the most resent press release from the Expo Center about the team.
http://www.eastkyexpo.com/index.php?...ask=view&id=53
Lots of new info there, and a couple of email addresses.

I'm hoping they draw on the talent of this state and area for some of their players. If we can get some from UK, some of the local smaller colleges (I'm obviously thinking of Pikeville College, but there are some good players from other schools in our conference - www.mid-southconference.org - I'd like to see keep playing), and some former high school standouts, I think that would generate more intersted. I'm already hoping to be one of the first in line for season tickets, assuming I'm in tune enough to find out when they go on sale

Sorry this got so long, hope y'all don't mind. If I find out more, I'll pass the word along.

_Howard
  #78   IP: 71.194.153.180
Old 07-03-2007, 03:34 PM

Great to see the support for this team. Was the ballclub the Kentucky Rifles? If I'm correct, that team didn't have much of a stadium. Hopefully the Expo Center is better. As for the High Schools, if they are your competition, become friends with them. Offer half off to students and 25% off to anyone who presents a HS ticket stub when buying a ticket. Have them play games on court before Miners games. As for Kentucky, Simply don't schedule home games when they have games. Simple enough.

#79   IP: 75.108.99.185
Old 07-03-2007, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke41 View Post
Hey Next,

Is any of that in the process yet? I know the Medical School (PCSOM), Pepsi and Massey Energy are right there. Plus, I can see Pikeville College doing a sponsorship, too. Also, I can't remember the name, but there's a Microsoft tech. assistants company or something like that there, too, where people needing help can call in. I almost worked there my last semester of school.

Also, there are a crap load of lawyers and Doctors. I recall people boasting that there were more millionaires in Pikeville than any of the other counties in KY. I saw the houses - that may be true! I would be shocked if this team didn't succeed. In fact...if it doesn't, it will be becasue it wasn't ran properly. Man, I really should figure out how I can come aboard there. That would be fun! Tough to leave Orlando, though.
Honestly, I don't know if they are really doing anything right now.

I have tried contacting anyone I can about jobs or any info BUT no one is saying or knows anything.

I have some good ideas and contacts on marketing, and would like to be involved on some level especially coaching but no contact info....
  #80   IP: 71.182.185.109
Old 07-03-2007, 04:50 PM

Default Welcome

Mathprofessor64! Always glad to see new supporters on here. I'm a season ticket holder and diehard Pittsburgh Xplosion fan. Whenever I have any ideas for them, I always send them into the X, which they appreciate.
You had mentioned that you know of only one Kentucky paper that had an article on the Miners. In my opinion, to spread the word, the Minors need to get out into the community and become friends with everyone, schools, businesses, the media, etc.. The more they inform, the better. If your sports fans want a chance to support the Miners, they have to know about them. Get the team involved in local community organizations and projects, another good way to get recognized. Do whatever it takes.
I'm only a season ticket holder for the Xplosion, but I still do my part to promote them here.