OSC

OSC message Boards

As the home for independent and minor league sports, OurSports Central's message boards are the perfect place to discuss your favorite teams and leagues with other fans, players and team and league administrators. Our boards cover all the leagues represented on OSC including independent and minor league baseball, indoor and Arena football, outdoor and indoor lacrosse, mens and womens basketball, junior and minor league hockey, outdoor and indoor soccer and more. Before posting for the first time, please consult our FAQ. Contact us with any questions.

OurSports Central independent and minor league sports

#61   IP: 69.67.230.123
Old 06-16-2007, 06:59 PM

Default Bring them on...

..good luck to the East Kentucky Miners.

If you could predict the markets perfectly, you'd never have a Jacksonville Jaguars or Green Bay Packers.

I grew up in Syracuse. In my childhood (when Syracuse had trouble selling out an 8,500 seat venue back before the Big East was formed and became big), if you would have said SU would regularly draw 30,000 people for college basketball..people would have laughed.

We'll see if Pikeville can support a team. Somebody built a 7,000 seat arena there for some reason, which I have to assume the reason was that they thought they could fill the place for something. Maybe it's the CBA. As Ken says, at least they can sell beer in the arena.
  #62   IP: 132.49.221.25
Old 06-18-2007, 12:46 PM

Upon further review, you all should be reminded that Pikeville won't even be the smallest market in the CBA.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Butte-...w-Montana.html

Note that Butte is losing population.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Bow_County,_Montana

The surroundings of Silver Bow County only add 1,000 to the population.

Just saying.
  #63   IP: 24.148.96.122
Old 06-18-2007, 01:25 PM

Default Butte may indeed be too small..

..for a CBA team, and I was surprised one of the bigger cities (Billings or Missoula) wasn't the place. The owner of Apex is from Butte, so I am sure that is the main reason they are there.

It's a consolidated city-county government, so the population numbers are effectively the same.
  #64   IP: 132.49.221.25
Old 06-18-2007, 01:44 PM

Missoula - University of Montana has ALL the power. It's quite benevolent of them to even allow summer baseball (Pioneer League's Ospreys) and the apparent arrival of Jr B (or will it be Tier III Jr A) hockey this fall.

Billings - One good building, too big, board of directors (or whomever) too stubborn to grant concessions that might allow a team to make money in the Metra... and when some might mention the Outlaws, I might say something about Billings and "basketball market" issues. Might.
(Apparently, I'm just begging to be shouted down by Billings fans)
  #65   IP: 24.140.40.69
Old 06-21-2007, 12:28 AM

IIRC, the Outlaws are partially owned by the City of Billings. I could be wrong on that, though.

I'm actually kind of excited about this team. It will certainly be a test of whether or not small markets can work in this league. And seriously, what else could there be to do in Pike County, Kentucky? :P
  #66   IP: 216.205.224.10
Old 06-26-2007, 12:30 PM

To tell you the truth, there's not much else to do in Pikeville. It will be interesting to see how the marketing does. I know that the college always attempted to recruit some of the top high school players in the area, and that assured high ticket sales. If the Miners do the same thing - maybe recruit the Pikeville College standouts or the top high schoolers who have went on to bigger NCAA schools - the team will be successful for certain. Eastern Kentucky has a lot of pride in their own folks. The region gets a bad rep...so they have to support their own. I'd bet the team would succeed just solely on the fact that the region doesn't want to fail and give the media another reason to represent the area as a down-trodden, poor, economically disasterous piece of America (like Dan Rathers did a few years back).
  #67   IP: 75.108.99.185
Old 06-28-2007, 08:55 PM

It will do well in Eastern Kentucky.

They will have some major sponsorship from Pepsi, Massey Energy(1 of US's largest producers of coal), and some of the larger businesses in Pike County like Pikeville Medical Center, the largest private employer in Kentucky,

There are over 150,000 people within 1 hours drive of Pikeville.

Last edited by NEXT; 06-28-2007 at 08:57 PM.
  #68   IP: 71.182.185.109
Old 06-28-2007, 10:03 PM

Default Miner competition

If I remember right, the only competition that the Miners have is the University of Eastern Kentucky Hilltoppers.
  #69   IP: 76.229.190.54
Old 06-28-2007, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psbf View Post
If I remember right, the only competition that the Miners have is the University of Eastern Kentucky Hilltoppers.
Western Kentucky is the Hilltoppers.

Eastern Kentucky is the Colonels.

Capisce?
  #70   IP: 71.182.185.109
Old 06-29-2007, 11:36 AM

Default Thanks

for the reminder, MLM, I got the schools mixed up
But the point I was trying to make was that EKU is their rival(if that's a word for them).