OSC

OSC message Boards

As the home for independent and minor league sports, OurSports Central's message boards are the perfect place to discuss your favorite teams and leagues with other fans, players and team and league administrators. Our boards cover all the leagues represented on OSC including independent and minor league baseball, indoor and Arena football, outdoor and indoor lacrosse, mens and womens basketball, junior and minor league hockey, outdoor and indoor soccer and more. Before posting for the first time, please consult our FAQ. Contact us with any questions.

OurSports Central independent and minor league sports

#1   IP: 71.9.8.47
Old 03-08-2007, 09:21 PM

Exclamation continental baseball league

any opinions???
  #2   IP: 198.31.4.225
Old 03-09-2007, 11:24 AM

Thumbs down Is there any info out there about this league?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcool92501 View Post
any opinions???
My initial reaction is that the market is saturated enough as it is without adding another league. The lone part of the U.S. that could handle this is the West Coast. But this is a "continental league." I say, may it RIP. I don't see any success.
  #3   IP: 72.191.143.162
Old 03-10-2007, 03:10 PM

Default Disappointed In Initial Season Teams

The Continental (CBL) league originally looked like it was really going to be an independent frontrunner. They seemed to be well organized, have financial backing, and appeared to be well staffed. I was really looking forward to seeing what teams/cities they were going to have. I envisioned (foolishly as it turns out) locations like Waco, Austin, Texarkana, Wichita Falls, Copperas Cove (Killeen/Fort Hood), Abilene, perhaps Roswell (NM), and the outside possibility of Del Rio, Uvalde, or Eagle Pass (TX).

I was suspicious when they first announced they were paring back their initial projected schedule dates. Then when they made their announcement and seemingly only were able to find 3 locations to field teams in their inaugural season; I have to also wonder if they will make it. Perhaps they have something in the pipeline for 2008; President Ron Baron seemed to be indicating that in the Bay Area press conference. The league administration has very impressive credentials and I was looking for something much better. I keep comparing their progress with the inaugural South Coast League (SCL) and so far the SCL appears to be moving way ahead of the CBL. The SCL seems to have outstanding public relations, more defined structure, and keep updating their websites.

The CBL early exception appears to be the Lewisville Lizards http://www.llproball.com/
. They seem to be quickly getting their act together and have a highly marketable logo.

I do not believe the market is over saturated, because there are still many locations with a large market that presently have no teams at all. The majority of fan support in an independent league probably come from 20 miles or less anyway. So it is feasible to market yourself accordingly and heavily promote in your immediate location. Family fun is half the independent experience anyway.

Time will tell and hopefully my first impressions are wrong. I wish the CBL well and will be following their progress.