OSC

OSC message Boards

As the home for independent and minor league sports, OurSports Central's message boards are the perfect place to discuss your favorite teams and leagues with other fans, players and team and league administrators. Our boards cover all the leagues represented on OSC including independent and minor league baseball, indoor and Arena football, outdoor and indoor lacrosse, mens and womens basketball, junior and minor league hockey, outdoor and indoor soccer and more. Before posting for the first time, please consult our FAQ. Contact us with any questions.

OurSports Central independent and minor league sports

#1   IP: 75.24.7.104
Old 06-08-2011, 09:26 AM

Default Possible Cavs Team in Youngstown, Ohio

http://www.vindy.com/news/2011/jun/0...-team-covelli/

Quote:
The Covelli Centre’s executive director says he’s talked with Cleveland Cavaliers and National Basketball Association Development League officials about bringing a Cavs-affiliated minor-league team to the Youngstown facility.
Quote:
The NBA wants each of its 30 teams to have its own D-League team, said Wells and Ryan. There are currently 16 D-League teams.
What do you guys think?
  #2   IP: 159.87.139.137
Old 06-08-2011, 02:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to Fez

I think it is a great idea. A close city with a tight-affiliation to the local NBA team makes a ton of sense. Youngstown folks are already Cavs fans. A win-win.

The Dayton Dragons are the Cincinnati Reds A team --and the close link to Cincinnati makes it a great combo --and the Dragons have been a huge success in a City with a horrible economic climate.

I'd love to see more of this.

Last edited by Fez; 06-10-2011 at 12:41 PM.
  #3   IP: 75.185.145.159
Old 06-08-2011, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fez View Post
I think it is a great idea. A close city with a tight-affiliation to the local NBA team makes a ton of sense. Youngstown folks are already Cavs fans. A win-win.

The Dayton Dragons are the Cincinnati Reds AA team --and the close link to Cincinnati makes it a great combo --and the Dragons have been a huge success in a City with a horrible economic climate.

I'd love to see more of this.
The Dayton Dragons are a class A team in the MWL. Not an AA team.
  #4   IP: 75.185.145.159
Old 06-08-2011, 05:19 PM

Great news for Youngstown, one of my favorite cities.
We have a team in Erie and its really great excitement and good family fun.
I am looking forward to taking the 90 mile trip down to the Covelli Center.
  #5   IP: 74.82.64.32
Old 06-08-2011, 08:08 PM

Since the D league is not expanding the Cavs must plan on buying an existing team and moving it to Youngstown. I believe both Dakota and New Mexico have been on the market recently so I'd look for one of those teams to relocate.
  #6   IP: 75.185.145.159
Old 06-08-2011, 11:03 PM

Bingo.
Look for the Cavs to bring the team from ABQ Mew Mex.
They were last in Att at 1,959 fans per game.
Save Bakersfield which is a special situation.
  #7   IP: 24.248.161.158
Old 06-09-2011, 01:12 AM

Would the Cavs actually own this team? Got to remember this is the same ownership that folded the Cleveland Rockers to be able to sign LeBron. Of course with LaBron gone, the Cadavaliers need some player development and need it fast.
  #8   IP: 75.185.145.159
Old 06-09-2011, 11:30 AM

As I understand it. The Cavs want to buy the New Mex Thunderbirds located in Albuquerque.
  #9   IP: 75.3.66.0
Old 06-10-2011, 10:11 AM

Default I just don't see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatek99 View Post
I think there were too many if's listed in the article for the D-League to work in Youngstown.
Quote:
If the two teams work together to share advertising and sponsors as well as attract ticket holders while coordinating their schedules, both could succeed, Zoldan said.
I've heard much talk of sharing advertising and sponsors, but I've never known it to actually work.

Also, there is a reason why the nation's lowest median home price is in and around Youngstown, Ohio. America's Dirt-Cheap Housing Markets.

The economic picture isn't much better in Cleveland. Will Cleveland be able to sustain an NBA franchise much longer? I seem to remember predictions that it will take the economy at least another five years to return to pre-2008 employment levels. That was last year when I read those predictions. The nation is probably in for at least another four years of tough times. Franchises will do well to simply survive during these times.
  #10   IP: 99.28.72.167
Old 06-10-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken, Steelheads fan View Post
I think there were too many if's listed in the article for the D-League to work in Youngstown.

I've heard much talk of sharing advertising and sponsors, but I've never known it to actually work.

Also, there is a reason why the nation's lowest median home price is in and around Youngstown, Ohio. America's Dirt-Cheap Housing Markets.

The economic picture isn't much better in Cleveland. Will Cleveland be able to sustain an NBA franchise much longer? I seem to remember predictions that it will take the economy at least another five years to return to pre-2008 employment levels. That was last year when I read those predictions. The nation is probably in for at least another four years of tough times. Franchises will do well to simply survive during these times.
you do realize that the suburbs are flourishing? Downtown is crappy, but all the fans would be coming from the burbs most likely