OSC

OSC message Boards

As the home for independent and minor league sports, OurSports Central's message boards are the perfect place to discuss your favorite teams and leagues with other fans, players and team and league administrators. Our boards cover all the leagues represented on OSC including independent and minor league baseball, indoor and Arena football, outdoor and indoor lacrosse, mens and womens basketball, junior and minor league hockey, outdoor and indoor soccer and more. Before posting for the first time, please consult our FAQ. Contact us with any questions.

OurSports Central independent and minor league sports

#31   IP: 209.159.223.188
Old 03-20-2007, 06:20 PM

I really think that the reasons that there are so many disfunct cities are because of this.

Arena/Indoor football can be played in most Arena's in america, however it requires quite abit of capital to get started (nets, turf, boards, pads, helmets, uniforms) compared to a basketball team that needs uniforms.... The difference between the 2 are the franchise fee's.. You get accouple of thousand dollars and you've got a franchise and people see a quick profit.. They buy a franchise then go and buy the lease, and equiptment on credit and then the cost come in and they don't have the money to back it... A city can only back so many teams before they simply quit coming.. Look at R.C. its been 10 years since basketball has been into the city after faulty ownership.. and I believe it will be long before indoor football goes to that city.

The average fan doesn't see a different owner they just see a team and after a team comes in sets up shop then leaves (NIFL--generally bad terms) its tough for a franchise to be profitable in that city.

The NIFL has an interesting idea in owning teams I believe what the are doing is this there putting teams in marginal facilites hoping it works out and will be able to sell them to local investers and if it doesn't there not out much and have made it alot tougher for another league to come in there.
  #32   IP: 24.211.102.186
Old 03-20-2007, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbballfan View Post
I really think that the reasons that there are so many disfunct cities are because of this.

Arena/Indoor football can be played in most Arena's in america, however it requires quite abit of capital to get started (nets, turf, boards, pads, helmets, uniforms) compared to a basketball team that needs uniforms.... The difference between the 2 are the franchise fee's.. You get accouple of thousand dollars and you've got a franchise and people see a quick profit.. They buy a franchise then go and buy the lease, and equiptment on credit and then the cost come in and they don't have the money to back it... A city can only back so many teams before they simply quit coming.. Look at R.C. its been 10 years since basketball has been into the city after faulty ownership.. and I believe it will be long before indoor football goes to that city.

The average fan doesn't see a different owner they just see a team and after a team comes in sets up shop then leaves (NIFL--generally bad terms) its tough for a franchise to be profitable in that city.

The NIFL has an interesting idea in owning teams I believe what the are doing is this there putting teams in marginal facilites hoping it works out and will be able to sell them to local investers and if it doesn't there not out much and have made it alot tougher for another league to come in there.

I think you have a VERY valid point with what you're saying. The only thing I disagree with (and not vehemently, I might add) is that the NIFL is trying to prevent any future indoor league from playing in these cities/arenas.

I sincerely doubt the the NIFL's mission is to destroy the sport of indoor football, even if their past (and present) actions might lead you to believe otherwise. I believe that the NIFL's ownership and management are in over their heads and won't admit as much. They're lacking in many ways, and much of the trouble they are facing can be overcome with some common sense approaches.

League-owned teams, for example, are a BAD IDEA. Look at the MLB....the Expos were owned by the league for a while. That's not going to produce a quality product on the field.

Releasing schedules before knowing that you have a team, ownership, facilities and equipment in place. BAD IDEA. Solution? Make a phone call, assist the team in acquiring the equipment needed and put a few thousand in their pockets for marketing the team.

Pewonski. 'nuff said. Sure, he brought the Stingers to Columbia, and I'm glad that he did. I love indoor football. However, if the guy is giving your league a black eye....maybe it's best to exclude him from any future dealings.

That's just a sample. None of my solutions are hard to get your head around. They are common sense approaches to fixing what's wrong. ANY small-time league will have problems, and these problems can't be fixed by simply slamming them on their faults. You need to offer solutions, support your TEAMS, and be willing to pitch in if you're able. Money isn't going to cure everything, sometimes your efforts as a supporter of the team and/or league can do more good than any amount of money.

But then, this is just MY opinion. I could be wrong.
  #33   IP: 24.255.195.172
Old 03-23-2007, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicker View Post
Actually they were the Topeka Knights in 2000 and then the Topeka Kings in 2001.
Have to prove you wrong here......and you know I know my football!

"Midway through the 2000 season, the Topeka Knights changed management and nicknames and became the Kings."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indoor_Football_League
  #34   IP: 65.30.125.22
Old 03-23-2007, 06:07 PM

Well, don't I feel like an ass. But it doesn't bother me that much since I am on Spring Break. My time has been spent in nothing but underware and doing nothing but grilling burgers and steaks, drinking beer, watching the AFL, ESPN, and comedies.

Last edited by kicker; 03-23-2007 at 06:10 PM.
  #35   IP: 71.86.200.154
Old 03-23-2007, 06:17 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Here is the deal with Topeka. The Knights were owned jointly by George Lemon, son of Harlem Globetrotter Meadowlark Lemon, and Indoor Football League owner Keary Ecklund. In 2000, bills weren't being paid and other problems arose, and Ecklund took sole control of the team. He changed the name to prevent Lemon from coming after him for copyright violation.
  #36   IP: 24.255.195.172
Old 03-23-2007, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicker View Post
Well, don't I feel like an ass. But it doesn't bother me that much since I am on Spring Break. My time has been spent in nothing but underware and doing nothing but grilling burgers and steaks, drinking beer, watching the AFL, ESPN, and comedies.
So what...I did prove you wrong now didn't I? LOL

And Preeths, you are absolutely right with the whole deal. It all went down kinda quick as well.
  #37   IP: 64.41.0.197
Old 03-24-2007, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk174md View Post
Allow me to add a couple:

Maryland/Washington Commandos (Arena)
Detroit Drive (Arena)
Columbus/Cleveland Thunderbolts (Arena)
Cincinnati Rockers (Arena)
Roanoke Steam (Arena2)
Richmond Speed (Arena2)
Norfolk Nighthawks (Arena2)
New Haven Ninjas (Arena2)
The original 1987 Washington Commandos did not die.
They moved in 1988 and became the Detroit Drive.

The Drive were sold & moved in the mid nineties
and became the Massachusetts Marauders. The
Marauders subsequently went dormant and were
purchased as such , renamed and moved to Grand Rapids.

As a result the Rampage are the only team besides Tampa
Bay Storm to have lineage all the way back to the 1st season.

The 89-90 Commandos I believe did fold .

I'm just saying.

http://goifl.com

Last edited by cRUSHer; 03-24-2007 at 10:41 AM.
  #38   IP: 64.41.0.197
Old 03-24-2007, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by off_the_nets View Post
Here are some cities:

(edited for space)
Memphis, TN. (Arena- Pharaohs)
Ok, my fingers are getting tired. LOL! I'll send more later.
That was quite a list.
While you were in Memphis, you could have also
added the 2005 af2 arena cup champion Memphis Xplorers

http://goifl.com