OSC

OSC message Boards

As the home for independent and minor league sports, OurSports Central's message boards are the perfect place to discuss your favorite teams and leagues with other fans, players and team and league administrators. Our boards cover all the leagues represented on OSC including independent and minor league baseball, indoor and Arena football, outdoor and indoor lacrosse, mens and womens basketball, junior and minor league hockey, outdoor and indoor soccer and more. Before posting for the first time, please consult our FAQ. Contact us with any questions.

OurSports Central independent and minor league sports

#1   IP: 67.23.215.65
Old 06-15-2006, 08:21 AM

Default NIFL shuts down Operations

So lets look at this statement and pontificate when we may see it for real.

Dayton Tenn Montgomery Palm Beach Florida Big Sky Lincoln Arkansas Twin City- Gone or going fast

Thats almost a 50% failiure rate and really shows thier was no Plan this year for the solid consistant legitimate growth for the NIFL. The Palm Beach ownership was probably a new low point as the Owner a complete liar,crook and down right mean sick individual had CS snookered beyond belief. This shows the failiing judgement that I think will see the above statement eventually be posted.
Then again I guess she could always recruit POP Warner Teams to go play inside. the AF2 and new and last Indoor Leaque the PIFL will divide up the spoils.

Who goes where ?????????
  #2   IP: 216.196.156.109
Old 06-15-2006, 09:49 AM

Send a message via AIM to MarshalsFAN80 Send a message via Skype™ to MarshalsFAN80
Cool Who goes where?

While it's great to talk about the possible moves, I'm avoiding saying where everyone goes mainly because when it comes to the Marshals. I was actually contacted by another/other league(s) asking if I had any pull to get them to join. (you can ask me a million times, and I'm not going to say which league(s) )

Here's my frustration with this entire situation. There are still 3 regular season weeks left to go. And to be honest, I've been watching everyon speculate on who is leaving the nifl at the midway point of the season. I realize the following:
1. Teams have to look at their options this far in advance
2. Fans have every right to be pissed off at the NIFL because of the fact that there were so many cancelled games
3. The NIFL will be around next year. No matter how many times this crap happens, there seems to be a new crop of teams every year.
4. NIFL owns the rights to a number of the team mascots/names within the league. If your team leaves the league, your name might still be part of niffle and in stead of chearing on the Fayetteville Guard (just using as an example) you might be losing one of the best marketing weapons that you have. God forbid that you become the Fayetteville HEAT or something with a flaming logo.
5. Cincinnati can only go as far as their Marketing takes them. 1 more home game left here and there are still people that don't know that the team played a single game this year! How much responsibilty are you going to place on the fans not coming out when in reality there needed to be a MARKETING BLITZ early and often this season.
6. River City...we all know that St. Louis should be the home of at least an AF2 franchise but, how many people from River City work in the NIFL Main office? I know of at least one (morris the web guy)
7. PIFL - While I really enjoy reading about the PIFL and I think that Jerry Hewitt has had a number of great ideas in the past, I'm holding out to see what the PIFL does in it's first 'push for teams' As of right now, their are a little too many "secret things" for me to even think of finding sponsors and investors to committ a team into the league. I have looked at a number of options and right now I find that my best is to sit out and watch some other teams with the eye of a hawk.
8. Ownership - For a couple of years now I have watched teams come and go...this is the revolving door of minor league sports. At this point, when I see a new team in the NIFL I just start wondering how many days before they fold not how many seasons. While I place some blame on the league, I have to place the MAJORITY of the blame on the owners.
9. 3 weeks left - There are 3 weeks left and the Pacific Conference is already locked up for the playoffs. nuff said

In closing, I wish nothing but success to the owners that have made an effort to not only make a dollar but to those who have made their fans RESPECT and LOVE the game of indoor football. I speak of Atlantic Conference teams because I don't follow the other conference nearly as much because I am from Cincinnnati. I failed to mention a number of teams because frankly I don't know much about any of the other franchises.

Indoor football and Arena Football (not affiliated with NIFL) are games for the fans! This is supposed to be a fan friendly game and for those of you owners that have taken the time to make your games fun and your teams successful both on and off the field, I say THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

for those owners, liars, theives, and ________________ (insert your own nasty comment here) I have this to say regarding what you have attempted to do to the game that I know and love:
  #3   IP: 64.6.106.18
Old 06-15-2006, 11:08 AM

Uh . . . . can you repeat that?

Just kidding.

Marketing - there just wasn't any. Or if there was I didn't notice.
If not for knowing a couple of players, I probably wouldn't have
known there were any games either.
I helped some with promoting the "Ron Carpenter Playoff Game" last year,
and they had a good response. You need that constant effort
throughout the year and beginning before the season.
  #4   IP: 68.117.3.56
Old 06-15-2006, 11:16 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Unless things have changed this season, number four is incorrect. Many teams have left the NIFL and retained rights to their nicknames and logos. Carolyn Shiver has said herself that teams sign up with the league year to year and has publicly stated that the league won't try to keep any team that wants to go elsewhere as long as they notify the NIFL by a certain drop-dead date. Some teams may go into the NIFL under different deals, especially if someone in the NIFL hierarchy owns a piece of them or the arena lease, but that's been the standard way the league has done things to this point.
  #5   IP: 71.85.242.36
Old 06-15-2006, 11:17 AM

i can assure you the rage has more than one guy on staff...

the thing about jumping leagues that no one is taking into account it the cost to jump... The franchise fees to jump are in the six figure range, even if teams wanted to jump it is to costly. Put that and travel cost, salaries, sure the players do not make a alot but the coaching staff really adds up as well as office staff, so to say why don't these teams jump and not take into consideration what it would take and cost is stupid. I am sure alot of teams would love to get out but they would rather use the money they do have and play in the NIFL than to close up shop, even the good owners struggle I am sure.
  #6   IP: 68.117.3.56
Old 06-15-2006, 11:32 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

While it certainly does cost money to make a move in most cases, you have a chance to get that money back. On the other hand, when teams don't play scheduled games or blow out replacement teams, it can cost far more in the long run if the team's and league's credibility is destroyed in the process. Once your credibility is gone, you have no chance to make it. In that case, the initial up-front investment to switch leagues doesn't sound so bad.
  #7   IP: 64.6.106.18
Old 06-15-2006, 11:33 AM

He said he knew one in the office. He didn't say that's all there is.

So what you're saying, ragefan, is shut up and take it.
Go down with the sinking ship and lose all your money doing so.
It's a rotten league, a dishonest league, full of crooks,
but we're in it to stay. You're flushing your money down the toilet.
I would rather invest money in something promising, than to
thrown money at something you already know is crashing.
Sooner or later the NIFL is going to run out towns to put
teams in.

Somebody defending the NIFL, now that's funny.

Last edited by Gunsmoke; 06-15-2006 at 11:40 AM.
  #8   IP: 216.196.156.109
Old 06-15-2006, 11:34 AM

Send a message via AIM to MarshalsFAN80 Send a message via Skype™ to MarshalsFAN80

Quote:
Originally Posted by preeths
Unless things have changed this season, number four is incorrect. Many teams have left the NIFL and retained rights to their nicknames and logos. Carolyn Shiver has said herself that teams sign up with the league year to year and has publicly stated that the league won't try to keep any team that wants to go elsewhere as long as they notify the NIFL by a certain drop-dead date. Some teams may go into the NIFL under different deals, especially if someone in the NIFL hierarchy owns a piece of them or the arena lease, but that's been the standard way the league has done things to this point.
I know of one team for sure that the league owns a percentage of. I have heard of others... hense the reason for #4
  #9   IP: 216.196.156.109
Old 06-15-2006, 11:36 AM

Default question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragefan
i can assure you the rage has more than one guy on staff...
The question was... how many of the people on the rage staff work in the main office of the league? I KNOW of ONE!
  #10   IP: 71.85.242.36
Old 06-15-2006, 11:43 AM

ya right i am sure that is easy for you to say when your not the one writing the checks... Most owners are the good guys a few bad apples should not ruin the bunch but i am sure these guys do not have an endless bank account like most people believe.. It is real easy to tell the owners how to run the teams better when it is not your money your spending.

If you guys are such experts and know so well how teams should be run, i am sure CS would let you in .... put YOUR money where your mouth is and bring in a team...CS will welcome your fee.

Lets get real here and these owners are not bill gates they just do the best they can i am sure and the solid teams are solid because the owners don't just write checks and worry later if there is money when the check tries to clear like all the bad owners who raid the teams and run away.