OSC

OSC message Boards

As the home for independent and minor league sports, OurSports Central's message boards are the perfect place to discuss your favorite teams and leagues with other fans, players and team and league administrators. Our boards cover all the leagues represented on OSC including independent and minor league baseball, indoor and Arena football, outdoor and indoor lacrosse, mens and womens basketball, junior and minor league hockey, outdoor and indoor soccer and more. Before posting for the first time, please consult our FAQ. Contact us with any questions.

OurSports Central independent and minor league sports

#1   IP: 24.235.155.57
Old 12-22-2011, 11:07 PM

Default When will the first team fold?

From my understanding, many of the teams are not bringing in the attendance and sales targets that the league seeked in order to survive.

So my question is? How long will it take for 1 or more teams to fold? I'm going to guess the Oshawa Power are toast, have caught some of their games on the web, and in highlight packages and their arena is empty all the time.
  #2   IP: 190.192.183.200
Old 12-23-2011, 06:44 AM

Default Canada

Not bringing in the attendance or sales? Its Canada. Who the hell watches basketball in CANADA???? Who the hell starts a LEAGUE for basketball in Canada???
  #3   IP: 99.192.68.63
Old 12-23-2011, 02:35 PM

League claims that it will take an average of 2,000 fans to remain viable long term.

Only Oshawa and Quebec are falling well short of the breakeven mark. Quebec has ownership that's as stable as any minor league basketball team out there and a track record of over 6 seasons. Oshawa is the only market that I'd be concerned about; I wouldn't be surprised to see them either fold or relocate following the season.
  #4   IP: 24.222.211.131
Old 01-01-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misenern View Post
League claims that it will take an average of 2,000 fans to remain viable long term.

Only Oshawa and Quebec are falling well short of the breakeven mark. Quebec has ownership that's as stable as any minor league basketball team out there and a track record of over 6 seasons. Oshawa is the only market that I'd be concerned about; I wouldn't be surprised to see them either fold or relocate following the season.
It's a pity as the Oshawa team is starting to become very entertaining. Perhaps a slow start killed them. I wish fans in Quebec would get behind their team as they have been competitive every year, and play exciting ball. I wonder why they struggle in a city starving for pro sport?

I think you may see Oshawa survive into next year. I think it will depend on how the league as a whole does in the home stretch, if the more established teams draw larger attendance down the line, and the league garners some more media attention for it's playoffs then a troubled franchise could ride that momentum into a boost the next season. If the status quo continues I have my doubts about the team.

Pity as I love the chemistry and personality every team in the league has at this point in the year. Winning or losing each team has a couple of good skill players and some personality guys to make a game worth watching, even when it's a blow out.
  #5   IP: 71.61.59.78
Old 01-08-2012, 08:44 PM

I have been following this league since the season begin and I enjoy the action(tv). I live in Pittsburgh(Pa) where we used to have a team and I enjoyed going to every game.
What I don't understand is why you can't just enjoy the action instead of wondering how long a team is going to survive.
I know that Canada is known for hockey, but as I look at the attendence figures, some teams are doing better than others, but give it time. This is just the league's first year. If you have to wonder when a team folds, I have to ask why are you watching the sport? I would rather see the league and the sport survive and grow, which I'm sure it will.
I was watching London win earlier in what appeared to be their largest crowd of the season.
I would chose to support the league, rather than wondering when a team is going under. I call that a wet blanket theory.
by the way, soccer is doing well in Canada!
  #6   IP: 67.159.5.242
Old 01-24-2012, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psbf View Post
What I don't understand is why you can't just enjoy the action instead of wondering how long a team is going to survive.
Because if they don't survive, you can't enjoy the action?

Tags
basketball, fold, nblc, oshawa, power